Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU residency waiver fee: 1 year, 2 graduation cycles?
Ever since TESU introduced the residency waiver fee, people have received conflicting info.  

It's been a couple of years and I was wondering if they have finally settled on a consistent course of action.

I'm waiting on a December graduation audit.  (According to the email, they were to begin September 24.)   

And I just had a moment of panic:  
Is the Residency Waiver fee good for ONE YEAR (e.g. AA in the Spring, BA in the Summer) or is it ONE DEGREE? 
(10-10-2018, 11:06 PM)triforce828 Wrote: Ever since TESU introduced the residency waiver fee, people have received conflicting info.  

It's been a couple of years and I was wondering if they have finally settled on a consistent course of action.

I'm waiting on a December graduation audit.  (According to the email, they were to begin September 24.)   

And I just had a moment of panic:  
Is the Residency Waiver fee good for ONE YEAR (e.g. AA in the Spring, BA in the Summer) or is it ONE DEGREE? 

It appears to be one degree, but like you said its hard to get consistent information. It should be a year but I'd rather be safe than sorry, which is why I'm waiting to confer my ASNSM at the same time as my BSBA.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
are you sure? I'd like to know from people on this fourm who got two degrees not at the same time. I was thinking of getting two degrees, but if I have to pay the fee twice that might change things.
(10-11-2018, 01:56 AM)natshar Wrote: are you sure? I'd like to know from people on this fourm who got two degrees not at the same time. I was thinking of getting two degrees, but if I have to pay the fee twice that might change things.

Me? No, nothing is sure with TESU. I don't even know if there is a way to get a definitive answer since responses from them are inconsistent.

My understanding is that when you pay the fee it says one year. Which means you have a year to graduate or you lose the monies applied towards the RW fee. From what I've seen on the forum, once you graduate the RW fee is "used up". So, yes it can be used for multiple degrees only as long as they are awarded during the same graduation cycle.

It is possible that they may make exceptions for someone being awarded an associates degree in one cycle and a bachelors degree in the following graduation cycle, as I do recall having seen posts that suggest that is doable under the same RW waiver. However, it is possible that was allowed because they were scheduled that way, or that they were supposed to occur in the same cycle but maybe there was an issue with the audit that delayed the bachelors? It seems reasonable to think that someone could do an AA/AS and a BA/BS in the same RW year since the bachelor's degree is meant to build on the associates.

However, I'm pretty sure they won't allow this for two bachelors degrees to be conferred in two different cycles in any case.

Either way, I'm taking no chances and have delayed my ASNSM to be granted at the same time as my BSBA to avoid any possible issue.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I think at first they were more lenient, but I am in agreement with Merlin. The waiver is used up by one graduation or one year, whichever comes first. However during the one graduation, you can get an associates and/or certificates along with the bachelors. I'm pretty sure that if a TESU rep tells you otherwise, they will later say that was incorrect. But I think they finally got their story straightened out.

How do you define a cycle date what is one?
What about undergraduate certificates do those count if you earned them in a different cycle? If I earned a certificate in cycle prior to the degree then earned a degree later will I have to pay again?

I started to make a plan but if all this is true ill have to change it. It isn't worth the fee for a certificate or second degree.
I paid 1 residency waiver fee (with s.com discount) in September 2017 and then graduated AA in December '17 and BA in March '18. I enrolled in a second BA prior to March graduation and recently completed a certificate that will be granted December '18 with all certificate requirements transferred in and no fees.

My daughter also paid 1 discounted waiver fee that covered AA in March '18 and BA in June '18.

I needed the AA for work by January 1st. My daughter needed the AA for a college application that was due in April but she was in the middle of her Capstone. In both cases, it was worth the risk for us to split the degrees and risk having to pay a second fee. Thankfully, it worked out in our favor.
[-] The following 2 users Like DIGI-212's post:
  • davewill, Kelly Green
(10-11-2018, 09:18 AM)DIGI-212 Wrote: I paid 1 residency waiver fee (with s.com discount) in September 2017 and then graduated AA in December '17 and BA in March '18.  I enrolled in a second BA prior to March graduation and recently completed a certificate that will be granted December '18 with all certificate requirements transferred in and no fees.

My daughter also paid 1 discounted waiver fee that covered AA in March '18 and BA in June '18.

I needed the AA for work by January 1st. My daughter needed the AA for a college application that was due in April but she was in the middle of her Capstone. In both cases, it was worth the risk for us to split the degrees and risk having to pay a second fee. Thankfully, it worked out in our favor.

So what you are saying is that I only to pay the fee once as long as I enroll in the second Bachelors degree prior to the graduation of the first Bachelors degree?
(10-11-2018, 09:18 AM)DIGI-212 Wrote: I paid 1 residency waiver fee (with s.com discount) in September 2017 and then graduated AA in December '17 and BA in March '18.  I enrolled in a second BA prior to March graduation and recently completed a certificate that will be granted December '18 with all certificate requirements transferred in and no fees.

I suppose it's still possible they will come back and ask for the second residency waiver fee for the Dec '18 conferral, or do you have confirmation that you're clear in that regard?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
My Dec’18 grad is a certificate. That is confirmed and no extra fee was required.

2nd Bachelors is on hold. I still have 4 courses to take for the secon degree and all will have to be at TESU. I am considering graduate school instead.

Quote:So what you are saying is that I only to pay the fee once as long as I enroll in the second Bachelors degree prior to the graduation of the first Bachelors degree?

In my case, I had to enroll in 2Nd Bachelors to maintain student status to be able to complete the certificate with 100% transfer after the 1st BA grad date.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,356 04-18-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 533 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 459 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 482 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 27 2,230 04-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,236 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 236 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 378 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 301 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az