Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU to finish my bach in Crim Jus QUES about PLA?
Thanks everyone. I've spoken with TESU reps about my eval briefly and how did I NOT get credit for "INTRO to Law Enforcement" That's a JOKE. 22+ yrs of law enforcement with all kinds certs in classes they are giving. Then talking to them about the PLA was difficult. I got two diff answers from people on the phone. Then emailed them and someone didn't answer my specific question at all. It was basically a YES OR NO question you would get on the stand in court and it never got answered............ Ughhhh
dice146 Wrote:Thanks everyone. I've spoken with TESU reps about my eval briefly and how did I NOT get credit for "INTRO to Law Enforcement" That's a JOKE. 22+ yrs of law enforcement with all kinds certs in classes they are giving. Then talking to them about the PLA was difficult. I got two diff answers from people on the phone. Then emailed them and someone didn't answer my specific question at all. It was basically a YES OR NO question you would get on the stand in court and it never got answered............ Ughhhh

Your best bet, if you want to go with TESU, and you want to do PLA's, is to go through their process. On their website, TESU does show that you have to complete PLA-200 in order to get credits assessed. That would mean paying $792 for tuition for that 2cr course (you get in-state tuition of $396/cr). Then, you pay $389 for 12cr to get assessed, and then $221 for every additional 6cr. That works out to $33-$37 per credit for your PLA's, if you just look at the cost of the PLA tuition. BUT, if you look at the tuition of the PLA course + that first $389, then you're looking at $98/cr. Which you could find for less elsewhere.

If you know that you can get some of those credits that are harder to find, then it's probably worth it. If that was the case, I would probably do at least 12, if not 18 or 24cr.

If, on the other hand, you think it might just be faster and easier to test out of these, you could probably start doing the CSU-Global CBE's ($250 each), and the Propero courses ($299-$330/course). But this is only worth it if you an get ALL of your credits done this way. If you have to take even 1 course at TESU, then you may be better off doing a combination. Find out (get pre approved) all of the CSU-Global CBE's and Propero courses, to make sure that all of the requirements for the degree are covered. If they are, then I would just test out and take courses. But, if there's a requirement that cannot be completed between all of these courses, then you may be better off PLA-ing the courses you need for the requirement that can't be found, and then testing out of the rest.

If you post the courses that TESU gave you credit for - course number at TESU (not at the previous school), course name, and where they put it - then we can create a degree plan for you showing what you need to still get, and you can work with TESU to get the requirements hammered out.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Fantastic ......... Thank you so much. Now i have a lot more questions for them on Friday.
dice146 Wrote:Fantastic ......... Thank you so much. Now i have a lot more questions for them on Friday.

Here's the unfortunate thing when talking to them about this. You need to ask very specific questions in order to get the info you want. Even then, it may not be easy, depending on who you talk to. Remember, their job is not to help you get this degree as quickly and cheaply as possible. If they did that for everyone, they'd go out of business. Their job is to get you to pay as much as possible to take their own courses, as many of them as possible, to get your degree. Also keep in mind that they all won't know about testing out. They are not knowledgeable in that area (most anyway). That's what we are here for.

Here's an example that pertains to anyone (not just a CJ major). Don't actually do this example, because we already know what will work: You want to take the American Government CLEP/SL/Study.com course/exam and transfer it in for the Civic Engagement requirement. You know this is possible because you've learned that here. You cannot go to a TESU advisor and ask "What outside course or exam can I take to meet this requirement?" Instead, you need to ask "Does the AG CLEP exam fulfill the Civic Engagement requirement?"

So, for the CJ courses, you need to ask very specifically "Will XYZ course fulfill the Research Methods in the Social Sciences requirement?" You actually need to know for each individual course in the AOS that we don't already know here.

I created a degree plan for you, and also added a second page with all of the courses/exams I have on my list that might work.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">dice146 TESU BA-CJ.xlsx (Size: 70.2 KB / Downloads: 3)
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
That's awesome. Thank you again. with my 64 credits already earned plus what you just showed me. This will help out a great deal.
dice146 Wrote:That's awesome. Thank you again. with my 64 credits already earned plus what you just showed me. This will help out a great deal.

If you post your credits you've already earned, I can help you further. Sometimes TESU doesn't put them where they should, so I can move some around if need be.
Just going back through and looking at some things. A couple of things I found:

1) Someone said you can take Saylor's PLA-100 and PLA-200, the are aligned with TESU, not for credit - but I'm not sure these are really courses at Saylor, as I can't find them. It discusses Portfolio Assessment all over the place there, but doesn't show how to take these courses at Saylor, so I'm not sure the person understood the wording on the website. Can't hurt to ask TESU about it though.

2) We know for certain which Propero courses come in as which requirements for the degree, but not necessarily CSU-Global. You may want to find out if CSU-G's courses will work for the following:

CSU-G CBE Public Policy and Strategy >> Public Policy and Criminal Justice requirement
CSU-G CBE Evaluation of Research & Theory in Human Services >> Research Methods in the Social Sciences requirement
CSU-G CBE Legal and Ethical Issues in Human Servicess >> Ethics in the Justice System requirement

Just trying to get some info to populate my spreadsheet, it certainly helps when people ask questions and get info back from TESU, even if it's bad news.
They don't seem to be courses at Saylor. They are mentioned here:

https://www.saylor.org/pathways/open-cou...-for-asba/

and link to free versions published by TESU here:

https://sites.google.com/a/courses.tesc....00-public/
https://sites.google.com/a/courses.tesc....00-public/
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The Saylor links are not courses. They are just there to tell you how to complete a PLA. If you have never taken an introductory PLA course or earned credits for a PLA at another school, PLA 200 at TESU is a required prerequisite for challenging more than three credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Had a great convo with Academic advisor from TESU about my degree plans. Basically I think the PLA would be a waste of time and money for me. Most of the subjects that they have listed that I am an expert in wouldn't go towards my degree. I explained that I don't care what the degree is in, just want my BA. So he said it might be easier to just do Lib Arts. He did a new eval and now I have LESS classes to take. Weeeeeeeeeeee still need to take the same kinda classes.

So with what you all explained to me this week and that conversation............ I have a great understanding now of what to do and how to do it. Lets see what happens.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 589 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 428 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,097 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,096 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,977 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,312 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,839 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU? CourtneyBrooke 11 1,386 01-31-2022, 04:36 PM
  Finish: This is how it looks like! (78 years later) bjcheung77 1 882 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  Finish! 70 years later - 88 year old grandpa bjcheung77 2 793 12-29-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda