Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU to finish my bach in Crim Jus QUES about PLA?
Dice,
Does not hurt to try the general studies degree with a concentration in crim justice at Charter Oak. I too am an officer (NYC) and I have had a very good experience with transferring academy credits to Charter Oak. Plus they will take the FEMA classes as well.
mdel210201 Wrote:Dice,
Does not hurt to try the general studies degree with a concentration in crim justice at Charter Oak. I too am an officer (NYC) and I have had a very good experience with transferring academy credits to Charter Oak. Plus they will take the FEMA classes as well.

+1 on this as well, in fact, PLA is not need it's just that some people like to get extra credit for what can't be transferred over.
Recommendation is go for an evaluation and see how far you are in. If it's close, then finish it off....
If it's a better option, you can go for the BALS TESU, it allows 27 credits in free electives, 20 credits in gen ed electives.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks for the info about Charter Oak. I'll def look into it. The EVAL from TESU in BA Lib Studies has less credits to take. They accepted a few other classes that Crim Just didn't. All 27 Gen Elecs are full now. Just one class to take there, otherwise............ Alot of Clep/Dsst/Teceps and a few from PennC/CharterO/Prop/ ect..... and I'll be done.

Going w/ BALS looks like the easlier route w/ all the things you all have said from WIFI.

Thanks
Hey dude;

I am in this very pipeline.

I'm knocking out several (over 12 if it works out) of my BALS using portfolio. TESU doesn't like it. The guy that reviews law enforcement portfolios is also my PLA200 instructor, and he seems squared away.

Only thing I can tell you for sure is that you need a lot of corroborative evidence, and have to like to write. Also, it's not solely about your education or knowledge, they want to know about how you arrived at college-level learning. For instance, a bullet point you have to cover might be 'knowledge of basic crime scene processing'.

You can't just throw a 40 hour cert at them. They want you to explain it. Not theoretically, but here's how I specifically learned this topic.

I haven't submitted any portfolios yet, so I can't say what they currently want to see.

You can search the PLA database for a list of CJ topics you might be able to portfolio.

Also, I'd check and see if any of your certs have been evaluated for credit. None of my FLETC stuff was, but you never know.

Also, why you doing a bachelors in CJ? That's worthless... I wanted one in public safety supervision but couldn't make it happen. Now I'm doing liberal studies, and concentrating in a few disciplines that way I have some applicable college regardless of what happens later.

Protip I learned here - knock out all your core courses (writing, math, history, science) before you get tangled up in enrolling. You can do most cheap, prowl around here for more.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

High Order........ Thanks. I was thinking of the PLA, but now I kinda feel it would be a waste of time. I can just take CLEP/DSST/TECEPS along with classes at Penn C, Props/Charter Oak to fill in spots.

I spoke with an advisor on Friday. The school wouldn't give me "Intro to Law Enforcement" LOL even with my Pol Acad Cert '96, but they accept P.A.certs from 00-currect. I argued the point....... Regardless that I'm a certified P.A. instructor in NJ and other certs. But, he's going to let me submit all my certs to see if I can get credit for AOJ 101 & maybe Gangs (since I'm a gang instructor in NJ).

The funny thing is my first eval was done in Crime Just. The advisor redid it in Lib Arts after our convo and I got MORE credits added in. Less to get my degree. So, prob a BA in Lib Arts w/ CJ as concentration.

I asked TONS of questions about the PLA, they just couldn't answer. I've got 23 yrs overall police. 12 major crime Det., just not sure if the credits would be worth it. Let me know what you think.
For courses taught, TESU only gives credit for regionally accredited and NCCRS/ACE courses taught.

Every school has to evaluate everything in order to be in compliance with their accreditation. Simply giving credit for work experience is a big no no because that's what diploma mills do.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Yea, that's something I don't want. I even told the advisor that if I only get credit for "Intro to L.E." I'm fine with it. Taking a few of the classes will be a breeze. Not concerned. Just want to do it the right way Smile
dice146 Wrote:Yea, that's something I don't want. I even told the advisor that if I only get credit for "Intro to L.E." I'm fine with it. Taking a few of the classes will be a breeze. Not concerned. Just want to do it the right way Smile

If you post your eval on here, I can help you with the CJ or BALS-CJ degree plan to finish out the degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you don't get credit to Intro to LE, don't sweat it since there is a DSST test for that [sup] http://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/dsst_fact_sheets/DSST_IntroductiontoLawEnforcement.pdf|DSST LINK[/sup]

The more difficult/time consuming areas to fill are the more in-depth classes such as Public Policy and Criminal Justice or American Juvenile Justice System. If you could get credit for those types of courses, that would be super.

Also, in response to High_Order, yes a BACJ may be "worthless" to some people (and employers)... but the same is true with degrees in liberal arts, sociology, etc... I think it depends a lot on the individual and their plans. I agree, it's not a degree in nuclear engineering, but most employers just want to see a degree. For the careers I'm trying to get, you need a degree in a related field (which includes CJ, a degree in liberal arts [even if I wanted to and loved the idea] wouldn't cut it)... so even though it is a social science themed degree, it is what I need.
Joeman200 Wrote:If you don't get credit to Intro to LE, don't sweat it since there is a DSST test for that [sup] http://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/dsst_fact_sheets/DSST_IntroductiontoLawEnforcement.pdf|DSST LINK[/sup]

The more difficult/time consuming areas to fill are the more in-depth classes such as Public Policy and Criminal Justice or American Juvenile Justice System. If you could get credit for those types of courses, that would be super.

Also, in response to High_Order, yes a BACJ may be "worthless" to some people (and employers)... but the same is true with degrees in liberal arts, sociology, etc... I think it depends a lot on the individual and their plans. I agree, it's not a degree in nuclear engineering, but most employers just want to see a degree. For the careers I'm trying to get, you need a degree in a related field (which includes CJ, a degree in liberal arts [even if I wanted to and loved the idea] wouldn't cut it)... so even though it is a social science themed degree, it is what I need.

Just out of curiosity, which careers are those?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 576 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 424 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,044 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,080 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,972 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,304 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,826 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU? CourtneyBrooke 11 1,382 01-31-2022, 04:36 PM
  Finish: This is how it looks like! (78 years later) bjcheung77 1 880 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  Finish! 70 years later - 88 year old grandpa bjcheung77 2 790 12-29-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda