Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU to medical school?
Hey guys,

Some background - i finished the TESU BA SS in 2017, WGU MBA in 2019, after my MBA I got a nice technical business role at a company that i'm enjoying so i've been slowly tackling the STD Comp Sci courses towards a 2nd BA in CS & Bio as well (CS classes almost done!).

Medical school is a long term goal of mine, might as well hack away at some pre-med courses too right? 

So i've completed some courses through the UCBx Post-Bacc Health Professions program. But man is it expensive! the cost of completing the prereqs through the Berkeley post-bacc program is a killer, $1200 a class, double that if you include labs.

Now the question: 
Would it be detrimental for med school admissions to complete the BA Biology AOS at TESU through SL/STD/CLEP*, to keep it cheap, then just take all the upper level biology/lab courses at UCBx?

UCBx has a severely robust offering for upper level biology, even a complete program called the Post-Bacc Advanced Biosciences program.

*sans ochem and other AOS classes that can't be completed via alternative testing/online classes.
10-YR GOAL: 
MD/DO acceptance!
Post-baccalaureate Premedical Program, UC Berkeley Extension

UP NEXT: 
M.S. Computer Science, Georgia Tech
-or- (porque no los dos?  Big Grin )
M.S. Applied & Computational Mathematics, Johns Hopkins University

CURRENTLY: 
B.A. Computer Science & Biology, Thomas Edison State University

DONE:
M.B.A. Management & Strategy, Western Governors University, grad. Jan 2019
B.A. Social Sciences, Thomas Edison State University, grad. Dec 2017
Woah, snap!  You're going for the same double major as I am at TESU!  Great job... here's a thread you might be interested in: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid335978

Question for you: What is your GPA so far?  At other institutions you've attended, TESU, and at WGU.  I ask because, this will be a major requirement they'll look at.  It's not a bad idea to get a BA Biology & Comp Sci if those are the fields you're interested in, but make sure to get good grades on anything that is graded.  Schools look at the overall GPA and also the last & most updated 60 credits in your educational journey to medical school.

You can take your requirements at several schools, Ocean Community College, Doane, UNE, etc.  I vouch for Logan University as they're $275/credit, so slightly cheaper than a few of those universities.  You may want to check out some threads in regards to taking the sciences through several schools - such as community college for the lower level credits and Doane/UNE, etc for the upper level credits.

BTW, how young are you now? I think it's a great idea! Do your alternative credits and only take the courses that can't be transferred in for cheap.  Your signature mentions a few Masters degree offerings, you may want to add U of Texas as well, they offer affordable Masters using MOOC as a medium, for $10K, they're probably Georgia Tech's main competition at that price range.
In Progress: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans

TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Business & IT Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco, CompTIA, MTA | Coursera & Udacity
First off, I am not an expert, so I could be wrong on this.

But I'm pretty sure your all your med school prereq science courses should be done via RA credit (not study.com, CLEP,etc). Some med schools might accept AP for some of the LL reqs (ie intro to Bio with the AP Bio test) but other than that I don't think alt credit would work for med school.

So yes, could get a bio degree from TESU and use alt credit for electives and random courses but I think your best bet would be to have the key courses as actual graded courses.

Honestly, I am not sure if the BA in bio is necessary especially if it is too hard to get with all courses, maybe just get an associate's in bio instead and then transcribe on all your Science courses on a tesu transcript.

Some possibly cheaper options for sciences:

https://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/
https://portagelearning.com/ (transcribing credit to Geneva University)

If I were you I'd look for at other threads about those who went to med school: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...read-Guide
Have you checked out the wiki for more affordable credit options? https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ob...ts#Biology
In progress:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Sophia (30 courses), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
I would not get a BA in Biology, as I don't think it's necessary. Med schools aren't generally looking at your major - they just want to see that you have your pre-reqs done. And I'd do them via RA credit only, not using anything else. And you MUST have labs.

If you have access to cheap CC, that's certainly the way to go.

If not, I'd look at Portage Learning ($198/cr, self-paced); Logan University ($275/cr, 15wk trimester courses); Doane University OpenLearning ($329/cr, 8wk courses); or UNE Online ($340/cr, self-paced).

I'd also start looking at all of the med schools you're interested in, and look at the pre-reqs, and see if they say anything about online science labs.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sophia course transferred to TESU as? creationstory 1 281 04-21-2021, 09:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia Project Management - TESU MAN210 Dorothy44 6 339 03-24-2021, 04:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ACTFL CREDITS to TESU Seagull 24 1,019 03-17-2021, 07:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Non Western History HELP tls7291 36 1,726 03-16-2021, 07:54 PM
Last Post: gams007
  TESU sociology options? Fibrazer 2 131 03-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Fibrazer
  anyone here knows if these coopersmith courses still valid in TESU? StudentOLife 12 656 02-10-2021, 03:17 AM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Tesu.sophia.org homepage in Sophia account robertsted 9 431 02-07-2021, 11:03 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SOPHIA credits to TESU Kadenbloom 1 286 01-22-2021, 11:03 AM
  Is TESU asking the impossible Re: TEEX credits? rachel83az 32 2,533 01-20-2021, 04:43 PM
Last Post: utility
  SDC credits to TESU Mitmike2019 2 283 01-15-2021, 04:16 PM