Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - when to apply?
Forgive me - this is a newbie question! I have lurked and searched quite a bit and not found the answer. My son is applying to TESU, probably in English. He has an associates and some of that is CLEP credit. Should he apply to TESU and then do all the alternative credits to fulfill degree? Or should he try to get credits first and then apply? 

It seems (again, sorry) that he should apply first and then he would know what he needs to do for the rest of the degree? 

I see SDC offers 1 month free if you are enrolling at TESU, but do you do that after you take SDC courses?

Or do you enroll at TESU only when you are ready to do the final capstone? I am aware of the encouragement to do it before July 2019 as it is turning into a 3 credit course. 

Thanks for any help!  Big Grin
I always recommend applying sooner rather than later. TESU is notorious for changing the rules without warning, applying to the school locks in the catalog, which protects you from at least SOME of those changes. Once you've applied, it locks in the catalog for a year, and gets you two "evaluations", which are basically a batch of transcripts. If you want more transcripts evaluated, or the the year is nearly up, then enroll in a course to become an enrolled student. TESU will require you to take the cornerstone course before anything else, so that will be the first course you take. That will lock the catalog in for another year. Before that year is up, you either need to graduate, or take another course or TECEP to reenroll for another year.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • Clepper43, hsfamfun, suzycupcake
(02-13-2019, 06:40 PM)Clepper43 Wrote: Forgive me - this is a newbie question! I have lurked and searched quite a bit and not found the answer. My son is applying to TESU, probably in English. He has an associates and some of that is CLEP credit. Should he apply to TESU and then do all the alternative credits to fulfill degree? Or should he try to get credits first and then apply? 

It seems (again, sorry) that he should apply first and then he would know what he needs to do for the rest of the degree? 

I see SDC offers 1 month free if you are enrolling at TESU, but do you do that after you take SDC courses?

Or do you enroll at TESU only when you are ready to do the final capstone? I am aware of the encouragement to do it before July 2019 as it is turning into a 3 credit course. 

Thanks for any help!  Big Grin

Davewill gave you a pretty good rundown on why its good to apply early. However, I think you may be confusing the cornerstone and capstone; those are two different courses, and both are 3 credit courses now. At least for anyone who starts in the 2019 catalog (which apparently now includes anyone who applies on or after Jan 1st).

The cornerstone (SOS-110) is a 12-week 3-credit course that also fulfills your information literacy requirement at TESU. Folks on the old catalog were able to take a 1-credit course (TES-100) for the cornerstone but still needed another course to meet the InfoLit requirement. TESU would like for every student to take this as one of their first courses, but it can be taken whenever it makes the most sense. Registering for this course will officially enroll you in the university for one year.

Each bachelor's degree program also has a required capstone course, which is generally the last course (or one of the last) you take before graduation. It is also a 12-week 3-credit course, but you cannot register for it until you have accumulated at least 100 credits on your TESU transcript and have completed the majority of your AOS courses.

If you apply as a Study.com affiliate member (after transferring at least 1 SDC course to TESU and have it evaluated) you will get a tuition discount at TESU and a discount on the residency waiver fee as well, which will bring the cost of the capstone and cornerstone from $1,497 to $1,098 each and residency waiver down from $2500 to $2200.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Clepper43
Thanks so much! You are right. I am confusing the capstone and cornerstone. I'm getting there! : ) I also didn't know that about study.com. I just knew that they used give a residency waiver for affiliation and now they don't. That's very sad.

Time to gear up and apply I guess!
@Clepper43 thats good advice. Dont wait!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Clepper43 Wrote:Thanks so much! You are right. I am confusing the capstone and cornerstone. I'm getting there! : ) I also didn't know that about study.com. I just knew that they used give a residency waiver for affiliation and now they don't. That's very sad.

First Year Affiliation discount: Cornerstone Waiver, Residency Waiver Discount, Tuition Discount
Second Year Affiliation discount: Residency Waiver Discount, Tuition Discount
This year's affiliation discount: Residency Waiver Discount, Tuition Discount
Note: Each year they had changes to tuition structure
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Based on needing to complete two 12 week courses now, might be worthwhile to look at COSC or WGU
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(02-14-2019, 06:39 PM)Clepper43 Wrote: Thanks so much! You are right. I am confusing the capstone and cornerstone. I'm getting there! : ) I also didn't know that about study.com. I just knew that they used give a residency waiver for affiliation and now they don't. That's very sad.

Study.com affiliation still provides a discount for the residency waiver fee. Instead of $2,500 SDC affiliates pay $2,200, or a $300 discount. In the 2017-2018 catalog year, the discount was almost double that... but it was always a discount, not an elimination of the fee. The tuition discount has remained the same.

SDC affiliation used to provide a cornerstone waiver so you didn't have to take the 1 credit TES-100 cornerstone course, but that was eliminated last summer.

In any case, if you feel that TESU is the right choice for your son, then you should probably put together a rough course plan and have your son take at least two courses at Study.com (the monthly college accelerator plan includes 2 exams per month, so taking at least two courses is recommended) and have them, along with the transcripts for his associates and CLEP credits, sent to TESU for evaluation and application purposes to you can get the ball rolling.

That said, as zzzz24 mentioned, there are other (cheaper) options aside from TESU. We used to recommend them to everyone, but with the recent changes, they are less cost-effective now. Personally, I recommend WGU first (for people looking for IT, business, or education degrees), then COSC, then TESU and Excelsior. So you should also take a look at COSC. If they have a degree that your son likes, you could save a bit of money going with them.

Additionally, COSC accepts Shmoop courses, which TESU does not. This may be particularly useful for an English degree as Shmoop offers a greater variety of relevant courses.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 4 users Like Merlin's post:
  • ambull01, Clepper43, MrsBulletPoints, suzycupcake
(02-13-2019, 06:40 PM)Clepper43 Wrote: I see SDC offers 1 month free if you are enrolling at TESU ...

Hello Clepper43,

Where did you find this?

Thanks!
Wasn't there a free study.com course that they give you for signing up for any class? Something to do with computer knowledge or studying online? What was the course's name? What category does it fall under?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 771 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch