Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tablets for Kids
I am wondering what your thoughts are on the best tablet for kids. My step daughter is 10. We tried giving her a phone (not activated) to read and watch our streaming services (hulu, netflix, amazon fire). She knows I monitor all of her activities and I recently noticed a recent fascination of YouTube vids. I do not think youtube is appropriate for her young eyes. So, i got rid of the phone all together (threw it in the trash)

Youtube really needs better parental controls.

Anywho, i am looking for a kid friendly tablet that would allow us to restrict times, shows and apps....any advice?

Thanks!
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
There's actually a Youtube for Kids (kids.youtube.com) that does a pretty good job of filtering.

My daughter has a Fire kids edition, which has a nice bumper case and good parental controls. The account she logs into can only access kid-friendly apps (with Youtube for Kids being one of them). I can install apps to her account that aren't already vetted, but this can only be done through the parent's account. I can also restrict times, amount of time per day, etc.
Thanks for your reply. If you dont mind me asking how old your daughter is? Some tablets are geared towards toddlers and not older kids.
here's the tablet I had when I was a a kid
https://www.amazon.com/Ohio-Art-Etch-Ske...h+a+sketch
Kindle with Amazon Free Time app and subscription. Includes age appropriate content and time limits.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

bluebooger Wrote:here's the tablet I had when I was a a kid
https://www.amazon.com/Ohio-Art-Etch-Ske...h+a+sketch

Lol haha! Same here. Im an 80s baby. We enjoyed outdoors activity! We force step daughter to go outside and play. She cried every single day for one week straight. Kids are so lazy and priviledged its a shame. I got my 1st cell phone at 18. When I got my 1st job.

I am half tempted to just buy her a bike. 😅
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Thanks for your reply. If you dont mind me asking how old your daughter is? Some tablets are geared towards toddlers and not older kids.

She's 3, so we really just let her play with the educational apps. She doesn't know how to add any apps or get on Youtube. But, I've played with it under the restricted account just to see what it lets kids do, and I think it's appropriate even for teens. There are thousands of apps available for all age ranges.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
Try using Covenant Eyes. They have a great monitoring/filtering system and only cost roughly $19 a month. You can set it at whatever age level you want and it will block everything that is at a higher age level.
Very nice well thanks to share this .,,
lifelonglearn Wrote:what age is the right age to let kids play with phones/tables/etc? my wife and i will have kids soon and I really have no idea what age is appropriate... thanks!

There really isn't a specific age you should start them off with a tablet. My son/daughter started early last year when he was 2 and she was 3.5, now he's 3 and she's 4.5, they are very familiar with the menu's and buttons on the tablet.

I wouldn't recommend any age under two as that's when you want to have their attention directed towards you the most. I usually give them the time to use the tablet when either myself or the wife is very busy with things or chores, otherwise, I am playing with them when they get new toys....
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb How to make screen time useful for kids? drArret8 2 461 01-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Teacher surprises kids with mirror trick! bjcheung77 0 472 06-23-2022, 04:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kids Idea Tank Alpha 0 773 04-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  MathLand Full Version - Math for the kids! (Google Play) bjcheung77 0 927 12-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Chinese Families Paying to Get Their Kids into Elite, American Colleges sanantone 22 3,144 05-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Kids Who Watch Sesame Street Perform Better in School sanantone 4 1,380 03-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  VIPKids (teaching ESL to kids in China via the internet) -- scam or legit? dmjacobsen 10 4,139 06-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question for Home Schooling Kids bjcheung77 22 3,181 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Kids, college, competition BELLA 15 2,479 05-28-2016, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Kids in College by the Age of 12 LaterBloomer 11 1,723 06-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Last Post: cathgrl