Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking 1st CLEP on Wedesday!!!
Thanks to this website I am discovering a whole new set of options when it comes to my degree path. You are all awesome!!! Thanks for your help!

I called my school today and they told me what to do to register for my first CLEP. Tomorrow I am going there to turn in the application and schedule my test date for this wednesday. I'll be taking the Info. Sys/Comp. Applications CLEP. I have been through the flashcards a few times and just downloaded the "official" CLEP study guide. I got 42 out of the 55 practice questions correct and with another few hours of studying I know I will do fine. You all agree?

One question--Does anyone know if the comprehensive Official CLEP Study Guide offers the same practice questions as the individual course study guides? It is $25 and it says it contains sample questions for all 35 tests but I wonder if it offers fewer of these sample questions...
One question--Does anyone know if the comprehensive Official CLEP Study Guide offers the same practice questions as the individual course study guides? It is $25 and it says it contains sample questions for all 35 tests but I wonder if it offers fewer of these sample questions...[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]For the most part yes, they contain the same questions, however I have also found that the downloaded guides from the official site may contain several new/different questions too. Either way you look at it, the book is a mere $25.00 whereas each download of individual exams ar $10.00 EACH.

GOOD LUCK!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
Hi rjc311,

Welcome to the wonderful world of DANTES and CLEP!

I think you will do just fine on this exam. It is not difficult if you have some basic computer experience, or if you have studied well. 42 out of 55 tells me that you are on the right track.

If you plan on taking numerous CLEP exams, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you purchase the Official CLEP Guide book. It is about $16 from amazon.com and it contains mock exams for every CLEP exam offered. It is better value than buying the guides individually!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0874477557/ref=bxgy_cc_text_a/103-1905972-2515047?%5Fencoding=UTF8

If you find yourself scoring more than about 50% on the mocks, you are probably ready to take the exam.

You might want to look into whether your school will accept both Computer Info Systems AND Intro to Computing (DANTES). They have quite a lot of overlap. I took both on the same day and passed both easily. Actually CIS was my very first CLEP too. That was back in November....I am now up to 52 credits earned!

Watch out! It's addictive! Smile

Please let us all know how you do, and feel free to pick everyone's brains as you prepare for each new exam.

Best of luck,
Snazzlefrag
Yippee! I just passed my first CLEP test!!! Big Grin I took the Info Systems & Computer Applications Clep and got a 63. I went through the flashcards about 2 or 3 times and that was about all. The test had about 10 questions that I was very unsure about and took me about 50 min to complete. Now I have to start studying for the next one!

Thanks Instantcert!
rjc311 Wrote:Yippee! I just passed my first CLEP test!!! Big Grin I took the Info Systems & Computer Applications Clep and got a 63. I went through the flashcards about 2 or 3 times and that was about all. The test had about 10 questions that I was very unsure about and took me about 50 min to complete. Now I have to start studying for the next one!

Thanks Instantcert!

Congratulations rjc311,

It feels great doesn't it? What are you planning to take next?

Keep us updated,
Snazzlefrag
rjc311 Wrote:Yippee! I just passed my first CLEP test!!! Big Grin I took the Info Systems & Computer Applications Clep and got a 63. I went through the flashcards about 2 or 3 times and that was about all. The test had about 10 questions that I was very unsure about and took me about 50 min to complete. Now I have to start studying for the next one!

Thanks Instantcert!

[SIZE="3"]CONGRATS!!![/SIZE]
It does feel great to get one under my belt! I will probably be taking either American Government or Intro to Sociology next. I'm a little annoyed that passing this clep doesn't satisfy my school's computer literacy requirement. I found that out after I took it...but there's a good chance I may transfer to Excelisor anyway.

I'm curious to hear what any of you might have to say about Excelisor. I wonder how credible their degrees appear to potential employers. There is a similar type of school in Connecticut called Charter Oak State College that does the same exact thing and I remember people saying that having a degree from there was kind of considered second rate....

My main issue with my current college is that I have to take a minimum of 25% of my credits at this school in order to get a degree from them. That means I would have to take like 4 extra classes just to meet that requirement. (I have lots of transfer credits) I really don't want to do that!

Sorry for rambling...just looking for some guidance...
rjc311 Wrote:It does feel great to get one under my belt! I will probably be taking either American Government or Intro to Sociology next. I'm a little annoyed that passing this clep doesn't satisfy my school's computer literacy requirement. I found that out after I took it...but there's a good chance I may transfer to Excelisor anyway.

I'm curious to hear what any of you might have to say about Excelisor. I wonder how credible their degrees appear to potential employers. There is a similar type of school in Connecticut called Charter Oak State College that does the same exact thing and I remember people saying that having a degree from there was kind of considered second rate....

My main issue with my current college is that I have to take a minimum of 25% of my credits at this school in order to get a degree from them. That means I would have to take like 4 extra classes just to meet that requirement. (I have lots of transfer credits) I really don't want to do that!

Sorry for rambling...just looking for some guidance...

rjc311, I saw that EC was listed in US News ranking of top colleges. It was for highest number of transfer students and most students over age 25. I guess that goes to it's credibility since that many people wouldn't transfer in or go back to school there unless it was a good gig. I think I read something about Davenport and Regis being the next closest in transfer enrollments.
I'm enrolled there and I've been very happy with them, my employer is also satisfied with the college, and I work for a very "academic" company - we create and publish standardized tests (not CLEP or DSST's though).
I think there is a lot to be said about just having the degree as well. It's easy for employers to toss your resume when you don't have a degree, but if you do, it seems they don't really care where it's from, just that you have it.
Just my two cents. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What have others used to write the Spanish letters/characters while taking ACTFL? Insert Name 3 611 06-16-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,266 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  An Investigation Finds That Millions of Students Are Taking on Dangerous BNPL Debt LevelUP 4 807 03-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,623 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,208 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  For parents of teens taking college level courses. Lacedonia4 15 2,292 10-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Last Post: BrianFallon