Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking a break between Associates and Bachelors
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. My husband is in the military and I'm trying to decide what I should do about school. I just received my Associates degree at the school I had been attending when we got married. I was planning on transferring to a school in the area that we live in, but they recently got news that most of us will be moving a year earlier... not leaving me enough time to finish school up here if we are part of the "lucky few." At this point I feel that it would be better to take a break and work full time for now. My husband has approx 2.5 years left before we will be going back home for good. I can finish school there once we get back, but I'm not really wanting to take that long of a break. Any advice? Thank you in advance!
If it were me I wouldn't let a "maybe" slow me down. If you know where you might have to finish your degree, you can start with classes that would transfer to the new school or work at the current one. Another approach would be to get your degree online so that it doesn't matter where you move to.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Go talk to the base education office where your husband is stationed. Some colleges have unique deals located on base.

mps2015 Wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. My husband is in the military and I'm trying to decide what I should do about school. I just received my Associates degree at the school I had been attending when we got married. I was planning on transferring to a school in the area that we live in, but they recently got news that most of us will be moving a year earlier... not leaving me enough time to finish school up here if we are part of the "lucky few." At this point I feel that it would be better to take a break and work full time for now. My husband has approx 2.5 years left before we will be going back home for good. I can finish school there once we get back, but I'm not really wanting to take that long of a break. Any advice? Thank you in advance!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

davewill Wrote:If it were me I wouldn't let a "maybe" slow me down. If you know where you might have to finish your degree, you can start with classes that would transfer to the new school or work at the current one. Another approach would be to get your degree online so that it doesn't matter where you move to.

I second this. Even if you end up moving after you take some classes, you can still normally transfer them to other schools easily. Or plan your degree out with the school you will end up at, and work backwards from there.

BTW - I was taking a Community College course at Camp Pendleton (Marine Base in San Diego) last year, and all of the 4-yr schools they had on campus were incredibly expensive. I was looking at brochures, and the info they all had, and was shocked at the prices. The local state school were much cheaper, and I consider those fairly expensive. So make sure you are actually getting a "deal" when you take courses at the conveniently located school there, they certainly weren't in my opinion.

Take a look at online schools we talk about here (The Big 3, WGU and other competency-based programs), look at taking CLEP and DSST exams, etc. There are probably plenty of options to get your degree so that you have it before your big move back home and can find an even better job than you planned.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you for your opinions everyone! I definitely do not want to take a break, just fear transferring when I'm so close to being done with school.
mps2015 Wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. My husband is in the military and I'm trying to decide what I should do about school. I just received my Associates degree at the school I had been attending when we got married. I was planning on transferring to a school in the area that we live in, but they recently got news that most of us will be moving a year earlier... not leaving me enough time to finish school up here if we are part of the "lucky few." At this point I feel that it would be better to take a break and work full time for now. My husband has approx 2.5 years left before we will be going back home for good. I can finish school there once we get back, but I'm not really wanting to take that long of a break. Any advice? Thank you in advance!

If you choose a college with online options, it won't matter where you live. I'd also not assume it takes 2 more years to get your bachelor's. I earned an associates and bachelors both from scratch in 18 months.
Not knowing what your associate degree is in, I can't say for sure, but you could be done in 6 months depending on what you choose to pursue.
mps2015 Wrote:Thank you for your opinions everyone! I definitely do not want to take a break, just fear transferring when I'm so close to being done with school.

If you are interested in going to TESU, and post your credits here (list by school, include type of school, semester-based or quarter-based units - then list all courses taken at that school, including course number and course name, number of credits, and grade if less than a C). I will give you a spreadsheet telling you what you could take and where, to finish your degree at TESU. I'm sure others will help with COSC and EC as well.

That at least, will give you a path if you don't want/can't finish at the school you're at, and give you some additional options.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
cookderosa Wrote:If you choose a college with online options, it won't matter where you live. I'd also not assume it takes 2 more years to get your bachelor's. I earned an associates and bachelors both from scratch in 18 months.
Not knowing what your associate degree is in, I can't say for sure, but you could be done in 6 months depending on what you choose to pursue.

True! It took me 13 years to get my AA since I never took it seriously, and 12 months to get my BA, which includes a 2 month break. I could have done it faster using the principles of this forum (and if I had taken my two TESU online courses concurrently like I should have)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I tried going at a breakneck speed to get my Bachelors and ended up taking classes I didn't need and working too hard at classes that didn't matter. I took a break a to re-focus and now take classes one a time. Much more satisfying. Not only do I learn more for the classes, it gives me a chance to read supporting material for the class and enjoy a social life. Plus, now my work doesn't suffer and I don't have to bend over backwards when I go to the field for a couple of weeks. With that said, my break was 3 months. 2.5 years? I would dip your toes in an online class. We're always learning new stuff, might as well get it on paper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuclear Associates Degree natshar 20 4,755 10-02-2021, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,290 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Passing NUC495 and other upper level classes without taking 100/200 level classes Randy8876 0 1,567 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Randy8876
  Colleges that accept CLEP in missouri without taking a semester kbk1061 1 1,191 04-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  Taking Clep Tests on Active Duty? Excelmywayup 27 4,537 05-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Testing out of Bachelors Degree Hadder 3 2,014 06-29-2011, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  USAF/SSgt - Taking the Trial bryank 2 1,429 03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Last Post: teriyaki