Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax Disadvantage of Attending Non-Title IV Schools
Unfortunately, the federal government didn't take into consideration schools like Patten University when writing the rules for education credits and deductions. When a school does not participate in Title IV funding (federal financial aid), a student will not receive a 1098-T form and can't report the tuition payments on his or her tax return. It's kind of odd because I received a 1098-T form just for purchasing TECEPs from TESC, but I wouldn't get one if I paid for a whole degree at Patten, Penn Foster, American College of Education, etc.

https://support.patten.edu/entries/39935...ed-school-
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Well that stinks! There are other schools out there, namely Christian schools, that also don't participate in Title IX.

Why should a school not participating in federal financial aid mean that you can't claim the tuition expenses on your taxes?!!? Another way the Federal Government tries to maintain control of things, and pick winners and losers, and punish those who don't go along with their system.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think you still qualify for the education tax credits if the school is a federally recognized institution, even if they don't accept federal aid. Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary does not accept federal aid, but they send out a 1098-T form each year. Patrick Henry College doesn't take federal monies either, but I called and asked if students studying there can use the federal tax credits and they were quite definite that yes, they could, because PHC is a federally recognized educational institution.
(11-06-2015, 12:25 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Well that stinks! There are other schools out there, namely Christian schools, that also don't participate in Title IX.

Why should a school not participating in federal financial aid mean that you can't claim the tuition expenses on your taxes?!!? Another way the Federal Government tries to maintain control of things, and pick winners and losers, and punish those who don't go along with their system.

I know this is an old thread, but do you know if any tax laws have changed in that they will issue you a 1098 even if the college doesn’t offer financial aid?
Yes, I think this thread may be too pessimistic.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/i...ional-inst
Quote:An eligible educational institution is a school offering higher education beyond high school. It is any college, university, trade school, or other post secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S. Department of Education.
This includes most accredited public, nonprofit and privately-owned–for-profit postsecondary institutions.

If you aren’t sure if your school is an eligible educational institution:

• Ask your school if it is an eligible educational institution, or
• See if your school is on the U.S. Federal Student Aid Code List

TIP: A small number of schools, not on this list, may be eligible educational institutions. So, you may need to ask the school.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 419 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 694 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Oopsie, student is attending the wrong institution... bjcheung77 2 420 10-15-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Switiching schools Joellem 14 811 09-27-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Joellem
  Unaccredited degree assembled from courses at accredited schools elcastor21 1 387 09-26-2023, 12:07 PM
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 637 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Top 10 Feeder Schools for 100 Tech Companies sanantone 13 3,648 12-30-2022, 03:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 508 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Accrediting Council for Independent College and Schools clep3705 60 7,361 10-07-2022, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Rebounding - Private schools & Homeschooling... bjcheung77 0 404 09-15-2022, 06:15 PM