Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teachers working multiple jobs?
I'm not sure how bad the teacher crisis in each state is... by reviewing what was provided in this article, some states seem better off and others worse off than the norm.  Here are 29 photo gallery pictures and a brief paragraph of information in each one.  

Note: Turn off Auto Rotation unless you can read very quickly... Link: US teachers working multiple jobs to pay the rent (msn.com)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Every teacher I know has a second job, even if it's just to work somewhere during the Summer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • CatsDomino
Teachers have been working 2nd jobs to pay the bills for decades. AFAIK, most of my teachers did that when I was a kid. It must've sucked for them, because teachers were also required to complete a certain number of continuing education hours/training each year in order to remain licensed.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • CatsDomino
i wanted to say 'live within your means' but then i saw some salaries are like 25k/year ?! how do you even get by on that
(09-23-2022, 03:41 AM)nyvrem Wrote: i wanted to say 'live within your means' but then i saw some salaries are like 25k/year ?! how do you even get by on that

At least in some districts, it's assumed that you'll get a summer job. So, the $25k is for 9 months, not 1 year. This gives an effective salary of about $33k/year. But that's still very low by modern standards. And most temp jobs probably don't pay $3k+ per month either.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(09-23-2022, 03:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 03:41 AM)nyvrem Wrote: i wanted to say 'live within your means' but then i saw some salaries are like 25k/year ?! how do you even get by on that

At least in some districts, it's assumed that you'll get a summer job. So, the $25k is for 9 months, not 1 year. This gives an effective salary of about $33k/year. But that's still very low by modern standards. And most temp jobs probably don't pay $3k+ per month either.

This coming year, teachers where I live are only not required to be in school from June 7th through August 3rd.  What jobs that pay well want to onboard folks for 8 weeks? It’s crept into a ten month job of being in the building, plus lots of PD over the Summer, for starting salary of 39k.
(09-23-2022, 05:48 AM)Courcelles Wrote: This coming year, teachers where I live are only not required to be in school from June 7th through August 3rd.  What jobs that pay well want to onboard folks for 8 weeks? It’s crept into a ten month job of being in the building, plus lots of PD over the Summer, for starting salary of 39k.

I can't argue there. But, when discussing salaries, I believe it's still assumed that only the school year is actual "work" and the teachers are being ridiculous and demanding for getting 3 months of "vacation" every year.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
I think the consensus with civil service is you earn less in return for the benefits and pension after 27 years Of service. I have a few teachers in my family, and neighbors who are. I live in one of the poorest areas in the country. I do not know of any teachers making $25k per year. I’m not saying they’re making bank , but if I could do it again, I’d probably go that route.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • Ideas
(09-23-2022, 07:20 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I think the consensus with civil service is you earn less in return for the benefits and pension after 27 years Of service.  I have a few teachers in my family, and neighbors who are. I live in one of the poorest areas in the country. I do not know of any teachers making $25k per year. I’m not saying they’re making bank , but if I could do it again, I’d probably go that route.

Those benefits and pension are gone in many areas of the country. Ours teachers stopped receiving pensions years ago and now are stuck with 401k's like everyone else. They don't have free health insurance or health insurance for life anymore either. 

Where I live, teacher's with experience, a master's degree in their specific field of education, and both state required certifications have starting salaries around $48K. There's an inner city school that has more problems than I can count who starts at $54K. Another inner city school started the year off needing to hire 400 more teachers because so many left over the summer. I live in one of the most expensive states in the nation so $54K doesn't go very far at all. Teaching is the cushy job so many people think it is. Far from it.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • CatsDomino, Flelm
(09-23-2022, 08:37 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 07:20 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I think the consensus with civil service is you earn less in return for the benefits and pension after 27 years Of service.  I have a few teachers in my family, and neighbors who are. I live in one of the poorest areas in the country. I do not know of any teachers making $25k per year. I’m not saying they’re making bank , but if I could do it again, I’d probably go that route.

Those benefits and pension are gone in many areas of the country. Ours teachers stopped receiving pensions years ago and now are stuck with 401k's like everyone else. They don't have free health insurance or health insurance for life anymore either. 

Where I live, teacher's with experience, a master's degree in their specific field of education, and both state required certifications have starting salaries around $48K. There's an inner city school that has more problems than I can count who starts at $54K. Another inner city school started the year off needing to hire 400 more teachers because so many left over the summer. I live in one of the most expensive states in the nation so $54K doesn't go very far at all. Teaching is the cushy job so many people think it is. Far from it.

Who said it was cushy ? I said If I could do it again I’d probably go that route. 
Also if I was or wanted to be a teacher and lived in New York I’d move. The entire country is looking for teachers , many that still have pensions and retiree benefits. Maybe not you, but that’s me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for internships / jobs while doing Sophia courses Schlafen 2 825 03-31-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  College Grads Are Snaring High-Paying Jobs. How the Labor Shortage Helps Them. LevelUP 7 871 09-01-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: dgbrooks
  Multiple Bachelor Degrees Possible? StudiousTraveller 14 1,475 04-03-2022, 08:19 PM
Last Post: StudiousTraveller
  Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? Vle045 6 1,973 08-11-2021, 01:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Eric Schmidt is working to launch a university that would rival Stanford and MIT Merlin 8 1,424 07-29-2020, 10:45 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  The 90 Credit Limit and Multiple Undergraduate Degrees retro 16 2,685 11-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Best for Federal Biology jobs? bethanyneedsajob 8 1,707 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob
  Motivations behind multiple degrees CarpeDiem8 37 4,748 07-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  Is CLEP Psychology completely multiple choice? S.Tesla 2 1,069 03-29-2019, 08:54 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  10 jobs for liberal arts majors that pay more than $55,000 davewill 3 1,468 03-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8