Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teachers working multiple jobs?
(09-23-2022, 09:00 AM)Pats20 Wrote: Who said it was cushy ? I said If I could do it again I’d probably go that route. 
Also if I was or wanted to be a teacher and lived in New York I’d move. The entire country is looking for teachers , many that still have pensions and retiree benefits. Maybe not you, but that’s me.

Read social media. You'll see plenty of people go on and on about how cushy teachers have it. Relocating is definitely not as easy as it sounds. Been there done that. Twice. Not doing it again.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • CatsDomino, rachel83az
(09-23-2022, 08:37 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 07:20 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I think the consensus with civil service is you earn less in return for the benefits and pension after 27 years Of service.  I have a few teachers in my family, and neighbors who are. I live in one of the poorest areas in the country. I do not know of any teachers making $25k per year. I’m not saying they’re making bank , but if I could do it again, I’d probably go that route.

Those benefits and pension are gone in many areas of the country. Ours teachers stopped receiving pensions years ago and now are stuck with 401k's like everyone else. They don't have free health insurance or health insurance for life anymore either. 

Where I live, teacher's with experience, a master's degree in their specific field of education, and both state required certifications have starting salaries around $48K. There's an inner city school that has more problems than I can count who starts at $54K. Another inner city school started the year off needing to hire 400 more teachers because so many left over the summer. I live in one of the most expensive states in the nation so $54K doesn't go very far at all. Teaching is the cushy job so many people think it is. Far from it.
The teachers in my very low cost of living area lost pension benefits years ago as well as state healthcare coverage in retirement.  They invest in a 401k and their state healthcare definitely isn't the greatest and costs quite a bit.  Locally, new teachers with a BS start at $28,500 before a county differential that only adds $5k - so $33,500.  Those with a master's degree and years of experience only make around $40k.  Funny thing is you can go to work as a secretary for our local social services department with nothing beyond a high school diploma, make $35k a year, and have the same state benefits.  My sister has taught elementary school for seven years now and makes just over $35k.  She works as a waitress in the summer months while trying to keep up with her required continuing education.  It's ridiculous.
[-] The following 2 users Like CatsDomino's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
It’s really all about choices. If you can’t live on a teachers salary than you don’t go to school for 5 years and earn a masters degree in it or you move to an area that you can live on it. $40k  a year and benefits where I live is a decent living. Would they like to make more ? Sure , who wouldn’t ?
(09-23-2022, 09:53 AM)Pats20 Wrote: It’s really all about choices. If you can’t live on a teachers salary than you don’t go to school for 5 years and earn a masters degree in it or you move to an area that you can live on it. $40k  a year and benefits where I live is a decent living. Would they like to make more ? Sure , who wouldn’t ?

Where in the US are you that $40K is livable? What benefits are teachers in your state getting? How much do they cost? Fewer people at attending college for education degrees today.
(09-23-2022, 10:00 AM)Ok Hi ss20ts Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 09:53 AM)Pats20 Wrote: It’s really all about choices. If you can’t live on a teachers salary than you don’t go to school for 5 years and earn a masters degree in it or you move to an area that you can live on it. $40k  a year and benefits where I live is a decent living. Would they like to make more ? Sure , who wouldn’t ?

Where in the US are you that $40K is livable? What benefits are teachers in your state getting? How much do they cost? Fewer people at attending college for education degrees today.
Appalachia. Pension and retirement benefits. Pension 10% of pay check. I’d have to ask my sis in law not sure what she pays for health benefits, but I’d say less than most private sector workers.
If teaching were the "cushy" job that so many seem to think that it is, I doubt that there'd ever be a teacher shortage.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

And sure enough, they are leaving the profession in droves. They don't make a lot of money, are every other politician's favorite punching bag, and get blamed for every failing, perceived or real, in the school system by parents and administrators, despite having less and less say in how things are done in the classroom.

P.S. if $40K is a good living in your area, then I bet the teachers aren't making that much there.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(09-23-2022, 02:01 PM)davewill Wrote:

And sure enough, they are leaving the profession in droves. They don't make a lot of money, are every other politician's favorite punching bag, and get blamed for every failing, perceived or real, in the school system by parents and administrators, despite having less and less say in how things are done in the classroom.

P.S. if $40K is a good living in your area, then I bet the teachers aren't making that much there.
All of this fits in with my perceptions.  The reason that there are so many openings is because no one wants to do the job.  Lots of people think they want the job but colleges do a poor job of preparing students for the realities of the job.  2-3 years of experience frequently results in disillusionment and career change.  It's very unfortunate because it's a critical public service.
(09-23-2022, 02:01 PM)davewill Wrote:

[quote pid='378045' dateline='1663959691']
And sure enough, they are leaving the profession in droves.

Yep. Worker shortage across just about every industry. It’s not just teachers. But thats the nice thing about teachers ,They’re educated with a masters degree. They have options. 
[/quote]

[quote pid='378045' dateline='1663959691']
They don't make a lot of money, are every other politician's favorite punching bag, and get blamed for every failing, perceived or real, in the school system by parents and administrators, despite having less and less say in how things are done in the classroom.

yep. Things aren’t what they used to be. Tell me one profession that is ?

I used the word decent. But generally speaking, yea $20 per hour is pretty dang good around here And why would I lie about it ? It’s a matter of public record. And btw most make more than that. I’d venture to say that $40k is entry level or pretty darn close. . 

[/quote]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for internships / jobs while doing Sophia courses Schlafen 2 819 03-31-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  College Grads Are Snaring High-Paying Jobs. How the Labor Shortage Helps Them. LevelUP 7 871 09-01-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: dgbrooks
  Multiple Bachelor Degrees Possible? StudiousTraveller 14 1,475 04-03-2022, 08:19 PM
Last Post: StudiousTraveller
  Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? Vle045 6 1,972 08-11-2021, 01:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Eric Schmidt is working to launch a university that would rival Stanford and MIT Merlin 8 1,422 07-29-2020, 10:45 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  The 90 Credit Limit and Multiple Undergraduate Degrees retro 16 2,681 11-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Best for Federal Biology jobs? bethanyneedsajob 8 1,695 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob
  Motivations behind multiple degrees CarpeDiem8 37 4,747 07-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  Is CLEP Psychology completely multiple choice? S.Tesla 2 1,068 03-29-2019, 08:54 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  10 jobs for liberal arts majors that pay more than $55,000 davewill 3 1,465 03-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8