Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaching at the University level
(10-16-2018, 10:57 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 01:21 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Sanantone,
I'm happy to address questions to clarify what I said to Cheese, but I have no interest in playing games with you.

This is your tactic when you don't want to admit that you were wrong.

For anyone else who is interested in accurate info rather than feel good info, try searching for doctoral programs in culinary arts and see how many you find. You cannot compare vocational programs to academic programs. The accreditation guidelines for instructor qualifications are different.

To Cheese: everything I've said to you for your wife is 100% true.
I am currently working to obtain 18+ credits in English in order to be qualified to teach at the CC level. I have a Master's degree, but it is in a subject not taught at the CC level. I live in a college town and there is a large research university, a small liberal arts college, and 3 campuses of our local community college. There are also branches of universities that are located other places and at least 3 small colleges within a 20 minute drive.

When I began to think about teaching at the CC level, I got on the website of each college in our area to see if there were any openings and I found 4 openings for English teachers. However, there were also openings for Communications. I noticed specifically because my son has a degree in Communications and I wondered if I should focus on that instead of English. Yes, these are CC and small colleges and I was only looking for adjunct positions, because that is what I am wanting. I checked today, just out of curiosity and there are 2 adjunct positions for Communications in my area. Do you live in a college town? I think the area that you live in has a lot to do with the possibility of breaking into teaching at the college level without any experience. However, there are many more options for online teaching.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • a2jc4life
I don't think one will find a more relevant article to your wife's situation.

The author of this article does not have a doctorate, and he's teaching mass communications. His article mirrors my previous posts in this thread very closely.

1. Becoming a professor at a 4-year college without a doctorate is nearly impossible. He even talked about accreditation standards.
2. With a master's degree, you have the options of becoming an adjunct, lecturer, or visiting professor.
3. These jobs are typically low-paying. The author graduated from Boston University, which is a pretty good school, and he has taught at other good schools. Still, his pay was not high. He's also bounced from job to job and has had to move states. At the time that he wrote the article, he was unemployed and couldn't find another job.

One of the most important points he made is that teaching experience is important. Doctoral students often come out with teaching experience because they were graduate teaching assistants. You can find a mentor with teaching experience and/or you can look at some online courses in higher education instruction.

What he didn't talk about are full-time professor positions at community colleges. One can become an assistant professor at a community college with a master's degree, but once again, there is a lot of competition and not a lot of openings. CCs are relying on adjuncts more and more.

https://tomprof.stanford.edu/posting/490

Online adjunct teaching positions can be harder to land than ground adjunct positions because online teaching jobs prefer candidates who have online teaching experience. You also have more competition with online jobs because they're remote. You will be competing with people from, not only around the country, but from around the world.

University of the People has volunteer instructor positions. You'll only be paid $350-500 per 9-week course, but it's experience.

Edit: It turns out that even University of the People wants online teaching experience.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Cheese, is there a certain specialization within communications that your wife has industry experience? (eg. film, broadcast, journalism, etc.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 230 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,623 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,563 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,942 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 861 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 605 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 434 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,245 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,618 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 353 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader