Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaching degree
Hi, 

I am trying to figure out what is the best option as far as getting an elementary teaching degree. I like the competency based model of WGU but the biggest con that I am gathering is I may have quit my full time job to finish the degree (DT). I am wondering if there any other options. I currently have about 70 credits from community college, sophia learning, and military. Should I finish a degree at TESU in LA and then get a alternate teaching cert? Would that be cost effective? Any ideas of what I should do??
I believe it depends on what state you're trying to get a teaching degree in. Some states only require a bachelor's in something, others require an actual teaching degree with specific requirements. Which one applies to you?
You need to look at your state requirements to see what they want. In my previous state (CA), you could have a bachelor's degree in anything, and then take the online courses to get your teaching cert; but you would need to do your student teaching, and that would probably mean working during the day for a semester, so if you work full-time during the day, you're kind of stuck. But that will be the case no matter where you live. Now, if you were able to get paid during your student teaching, that might help.

I know other states that actually have programs where they pay you a stipend to student-teach, and the certification program is online and free.

So go research your state first, and then do the easiest thing possible.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I went back for the same reason. I decided on TESU and teaching cert. There are various more cost effective teaching degrees that require less time than WGU. Some even partner with online schools. I don't know where live, but check out the requirements first.

In Florida the county next door will give you emergency teaching credentials so you are working full time and offer an alternative route. From what I heard from teachers is that it is better to have a degree with courses so that you can move to upper elementary and middle school if you choose AND not to get a masters as they pay less for teachers with BAs. If you have a MEd with no experience you will not be an attractive hire.

Maine Presquile has an BA with a focus on Education too.
(08-10-2020, 11:07 AM)Teacherwannabe19 Wrote: Hi, 

I am trying to figure out what is the best option as far as getting an elementary teaching degree. I like the competency based model of WGU but the biggest con that I am gathering is I may have quit my full time job to finish the degree (DT). I am wondering if there any other options. I currently have about 70 credits from community college, sophia learning, and military. Should I finish a degree at TESU in LA and then get a alternate teaching cert? Would that be cost effective? Any ideas of what I should do??

Some states no matter where you go to school if you go for a teacher cert via normal route (vs alternative route) they don't allow you to work other jobs while student teaching or strongly discourage it. Other schools may have this policy too so it isn't just WGU. And even you are allowed to have another job it might difficult due to the hours of student teaching.

The alternative route is good but you have to check with your state and/or area. Some are frustrating like the one in my area requires you to teach in the same county for five years, which is fine just a lot to commit to. At that rate, WGU would way less than five years to get a permanent cert. You have to do the research and see what works best with your time, money, resources, location and life plan.
(08-26-2020, 02:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote:   In my previous state (CA), 

Did you move out of California? I remember on another thread you talked about doing that in a few years. That was quick. If you can move out of California that quickly; then I'm sure OP can get their teaching cert quicker than expected as well. Anything is possible in these crazy times.
(08-26-2020, 11:43 PM)natshar Wrote:

Did you move out of California? I remember on another thread you talked about doing that in a few years. That was quick. If you can move out of California that quickly; then I'm sure OP can get their teaching cert quicker than expected as well. Anything is possible in these crazy times.

Yep, we moved to SC in July!  When COVID hit, and CA closed down, we just couldn't take it anymore, and decided we'd had enough.  We flew to SC (actually NC) and looked at houses, bought one that's not yet built (next spring) and went home and sold our house.  Packed everyone up and left the only state I've lived in my whole life!  My son is happy to start in-person learning tomorrow!! And will have school sports (he's in high school). This state, while not as open as some, is WAY more open that CA - I've been able to get a haircut, pedicure, we eat out whenever we want, go to the movies, mini golfing, bowling, all of it.  Open!

Now I have to learn about the options in SC for both homeschooling and college - we don't homeschool, but I'm involved in a group that does, and want to get up-to-speed.  SC is not as homeschool friendly as CA for sure - and Dual Enrollment is limited, and not free.  But it's still worth it to have left.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Clepper43
(08-31-2020, 11:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 11:43 PM)natshar Wrote:

Yep, we moved to SC in July!  When COVID hit, and CA closed down, we just couldn't take it anymore, and decided we'd had enough.  We flew to SC (actually NC) and looked at houses, bought one that's not yet built (next spring) and went home and sold our house.  Packed everyone up and left the only state I've lived in my whole life!  My son is happy to start in-person learning tomorrow!! And will have school sports (he's in high school). This state, while not as open as some, is WAY more open that CA - I've been able to get a haircut, pedicure, we eat out whenever we want, go to the movies, mini golfing, bowling, all of it.  Open!

Now I have to learn about the options in SC for both homeschooling and college - we don't homeschool, but I'm involved in a group that does, and want to get up-to-speed.  SC is not as homeschool friendly as CA for sure - and Dual Enrollment is limited, and not free.  But it's still worth it to have left.

Congratulations on your move. My 16 year old is trying homeschooling with dual enrollment now. We are also from California now living far from there. Started with subjects that are fresh in her mind from the 10th grade and will also give her ACE credits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 871 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,082 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 497 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,036 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 372 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,174 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 904 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Let's get WGU's CS degree for $5k nomaduser 6 1,481 03-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
  15-year-old with master’s degree prepares for law school Imbanewbie 7 1,168 03-11-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU doctorate degree on the horizon? School putting out survey call for an EdD jsd 2 2,104 03-03-2023, 12:51 AM
Last Post: MNomadic