Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teex courses. Are they all this slow/bad?
I'm just wrapping up Cyber 101, which has been hundreds of pages of tedious and questionable material. I realize it's the non-technical one but do Cyber 201 and Cyber 301 go faster than this? Or is it just more of the same?
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(01-02-2019, 06:31 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm just wrapping up Cyber 101, which has been hundreds of pages of tedious and questionable material. I realize it's the non-technical one but do Cyber 201 and Cyber 301 go faster than this? Or is it just more of the same?

They're all like that. If anything, the later ones are worse because they are longer.

Luckily, much of the material presented was stuff I was already familiar with, so after going step by step through Cyber 101, I ended up just going faster through 201 and 301 by skimming the material for things that were different or that I hadn't seen before, and then jumping into the test. I also made sure to pay attention to the pre-tests at the beginning of each new section and focus on areas that I didn't know the answers to when I was doing my quick review. That made 201 and 301 go much quicker.

Either way, I still think that those courses are not correctly assessed by ACE. Given the amount of material and depth they go into, each of the sub-courses should probably be worth 1 sh of credit, so in combination Cyber 101 should be 3 sh, Cyber 201 should be 4 sh, and Cyber 301 should be 3 sh. At least in my opinion. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Life_One
all you had to do was say "longer". I'm out. I would rather pay Study.com $100 than do 2 more of these for LL credits.

Thank you for saving me hours of my life
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 3 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • cookderosa, Life_One, Muldoon
(01-02-2019, 06:56 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: all you had to do was say "longer". I'm out. I would rather pay Study.com $100 than do 2 more of these for LL credits.

Doing them on Study.com will be faster for sure. Plus you only have to take two courses to get the same number of credits.

Had I realized how much time they were going to take when I first started down that path, I probably would have avoided TEEX as well. I took those courses before I had any experience with Study.com.

Luckily the Cybersecurity courses were still valuable for my degree so it was worth it in the end. My only lament is that I should have transferred those courses to TESU before they downgraded them from UL to LL since I took them in February of last year, well before the downgrade. That would have eliminated the need to take two UL CS courses. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • camjenks
(01-02-2019, 06:56 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: all you had to do was say "longer". I'm out. I would rather pay Study.com $100 than do 2 more of these for LL credits.

LOL they are pretty awful. Sometimes we have more money, sometimes we have more time.
Oh!! What an absolute pain!!! I almost started to feel depressed half way through those courses. I endured them purely for the sake of 6 free credits, which, at this point of time, is quite valuable for me from a financial stand point. I am feeling so bad to hear that they were initially graded as UL courses! I too feel that for the sheer rigor of these courses, they should each be eligible for 3 credits at least.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • Toastmaster
I've been working for a living in tech since I was 14, and worked full time for a large company pre-2000 during the dot com bust. I've been around developing technologies that form the backbone of the internet today. I'm not saying I built it, but I've been around it forever. I've been coding since before I hit puberty.

All of that said - these courses are a drag. Truly. The questions and answers are silly at best - focusing on some material that makes me question who put the courses together's competence.

If I had known the path and ultimate ending of my degree, I wouldn't have bothered with them. I would have just taken 2 easy SDC courses and hammered those out - and paid for the extra exams.

If you want to save some money and get free credits - get that minimum passing score however you have to and forget the material in those courses immediately.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
I just clicked through and did the tests lol
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

[-] The following 2 users Like BSLIONS's post:
  • TacticalTechie, Toastmaster
I just finished four modules of them for cyber 201. Super long courses. I didn't even need the LL credit. But I guess it doesn't hurt to have it on resume....

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
(01-02-2019, 07:33 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

LOL they are pretty awful.  Sometimes we have more money, sometimes we have more time.

This is true. But Clep is the perfect combination right now for a lot of people. Completely free with Modern States and a lot of them can be done in about the same amount of time as a Study.com or SL course. I don't know how much longer modern states will last, but I'm so grateful I was able to do the majority of my degree with clep (and the study.com guardian scholarship as well).
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
[-] The following 1 user Likes camjenks's post:
  • Life_One

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,319 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 888 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,484 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,836 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Credly Badge Denied, TEEX Disaster Management for Water & Wastewater Utilities sixdegreesandamovie 3 308 03-07-2024, 11:46 AM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,037 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 575 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 328 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM