Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telecommuting/ Remote Work Opportunities/ Familiar places
I was doing some research on remote jobs and telecommuting/ what skills are needed for it. I came across this

200 Companies That Are ALWAYS Hiring Telecommuters

Interestingly enough Western Governors University, and Study.com have made the list

https://wgu-openhire.silkroad.com/eposti....jobsearch

Work with Study.com | Apply Here

for one of the student mentor WGU postings:
Required Skills
We are seeking candidates who are willing to dedicate their time to the Student Mentor position as their only focus for the first year of employment with WGU.
Strong customer service orientation and extraordinary communication skills.
Technologically proficient, specifically with online programs, tracking and communication technology.
Highly proficient Microsoft Office skills and strong Internet capabilities.
Must be able to spend significant time working at a computer and on the telephone.
A remarkable talent for organization.
Must be able to communicate at a high level verbally and in writing.
Excellent collaboration skills, ability to work as a member of a team.
Position works from home in a full-time capacity, but must be available for travel in support of college requirements.

Required Experience
A minimum of a master's degree in a business related field: MBA, MS Leadership and Management, MS Management, MBA- Human Resources or Masters in Human Resources, MPA.
3 years of related professional experience
3 years of teaching experience highly desired, Higher Education teaching preferred
Job Location
WORK FROM HOME, , United States
Position Type
yb1 Wrote:I was doing some research on remote jobs and telecommuting/ what skills are needed for it. I came across this

200 Companies That Are ALWAYS Hiring Telecommuters

Interestingly enough Western Governors University, and Study.com have made the list

https://wgu-openhire.silkroad.com/eposti....jobsearch

Work with Study.com | Apply Here

for one of the student mentor WGU postings:
Required Skills
We are seeking candidates who are willing to dedicate their time to the Student Mentor position as their only focus for the first year of employment with WGU.
Strong customer service orientation and extraordinary communication skills.
Technologically proficient, specifically with online programs, tracking and communication technology.
Highly proficient Microsoft Office skills and strong Internet capabilities.
Must be able to spend significant time working at a computer and on the telephone.
A remarkable talent for organization.
Must be able to communicate at a high level verbally and in writing.
Excellent collaboration skills, ability to work as a member of a team.
Position works from home in a full-time capacity, but must be available for travel in support of college requirements.

Required Experience
A minimum of a master's degree in a business related field: MBA, MS Leadership and Management, MS Management, MBA- Human Resources or Masters in Human Resources, MPA.
3 years of related professional experience
3 years of teaching experience highly desired, Higher Education teaching preferred
Job Location
WORK FROM HOME, , United States
Position Type

Hubby and I browse our favorite edu-job site every so often, and I set up a "Job Agent" alert to come to my mailbox sometime over last summer. I used "remote" as the key word. I figured there might be a few, well I get emails at least 2-3x per week! There are tons of remote jobs in education, most want hard-core education, and others are adjunct in the common fields like business, nursing, etc. but I have also noticed that Study and WGU are always hiring. Makes you wonder why?

Unrelated, I read about at a remote job that required you to be on webcam while on the clock- checking in/out when you go pee or get a drink of water....for an entire 8 hour shift..... I don't know if that's the norm, but that freaks me out - I'd never do that!
My normal, butt-in-seat job isn't even that interested in me! No thanks.

Of course, I'd always be interested in a remote job from a reasonable employer Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
cookderosa Wrote:Unrelated, I read about at a remote job that required you to be on webcam while on the clock- checking in/out when you go pee or get a drink of water....for an entire 8 hour shift..... I don't know if that's the norm, but that freaks me out - I'd never do that!

It's definitely not, at least, not for us developers and sysadmins. When a company is that concerned with "getting their monies worth" out of their employees, it's not a place anyone should work if they have a choice.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
I do remote call center work and enjoy it. The hours/pay will not be equivalent to a full-time job, but it's great for those who want an extra/second income while caring for family/self, completing school etc.
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

kalishakti Wrote:I do remote call center work and enjoy it. The hours/pay will not be equivalent to a full-time job, but it's great for those who want an extra/second income while caring for family/self, completing school etc.

The problem was not the remote job, it was being watched on webcam for your entire shift to make sure you're working. Does your company do that?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I hate going to work

I cannot stand the new york city subways

wait .. let me change that

the subways are actually quite nice

its the people on them I can't stand

really, I am not kidding

I despise them LOL

the subway stops
somebody steps out the doors, stops and immediately pulls out their phone and checks for messages -- blocking the way of everyone trying to get out

subway makes next stop
somebody steps out the doors, stops and immediately pulls out their phone and checks for messages -- blocking the way of everyone trying to get out

EVERY SINGLE FREAKING STOP

I hate these people so much

get out of the way

there is no phone call so important that you can't wait 10 seconds and move off to the side to make it
get out of the way

oh, and then there's the pain of people getting ON the train

so, its a full, packed subway with absolutely no more room
but that's not going to stop you from trying to get on is it ?

no ... you'll stick your foot in the door -- stand half way in -- turn to the left -- turn to the right -- push, shove, trying to fit your packback in

hey, do you NOT see the sign ?
"NEXT TRAIN ARRIVES IN TWO MINUTES"

you really can't wait ? !

you know you're going to keep us here for two minutes while you try to pry your way in

why don't you just get out and wait for the next train ? !!!

ARGHHH !!

ok, rant over

yeah, I'm going to be looking at that forestry management degree somebody posted two days ago

LOL
kalishakti Wrote:I do remote call center work and enjoy it. The hours/pay will not be equivalent to a full-time job, but it's great for those who want an extra/second income while caring for family/self, completing school etc.

They hiring? I need extra part time work... I think I should do something part time just for the extra experience and pocket money.
I am hoping to save enough for a vacation next year, so I can bring my kids and wife somewhere.... (maybe Hawaii).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
This is encouraging - my 17 year old son does really, really well when interacting with others via headset and webcam - in person, he struggles - he is just a totally different person in the two scenarios. I'd love for him to get some entry level experience via a telecommuting position, even if the pay is very low - I think it would be an ideal way for him to delve into the workforce world.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
dfrecore Wrote:The problem was not the remote job, it was being watched on webcam for your entire shift to make sure you're working. Does your company do that?

No, attendance is simply a matter of staying signed in to the system and answering your phone when it rings. Smile Yes, my company is hiring, anyone who is interested can PM me for details.
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,069 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 504 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,103 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 488 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 979 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  4-day (remote) workweek bjcheung77 9 946 01-30-2022, 12:29 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Toyota kills physical remote start... bjcheung77 5 737 12-17-2021, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Vonne
  Dream Job Alert! Work From Home & Unlimied Vacation?! bjcheung77 4 1,204 08-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Vonne
  Facebook Remote Jobs Dorothy44 0 686 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  College degree required to work at a factory? sanantone 1 1,430 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino