Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing out of History & Civics and Ethical Leadership requirements?
BLUF:  Looking for test-out equivalency options for TESU courses that would meet the BA requirements for History/Civics and Ethical Leadership, with preference on DSST or CLEP if they have something equivalent. Thx!  Smile

Hi all,
I'm in my last semester at TESU and my degree plan is currently all set for me to finish with a degree in "Liberal Studies" because I have soooo many random credits and electives, and this was the one that granted me the most credits without having to take additional courses.

However, I was talking to another student about all of the foreign language credits I have, and they said why not use the What If scenario academic eval feature on the TESU website for changing my degree to Foreign Language, since that looks a bit more specialized than the rather generic "Liberal Studies" on a resume/etc. (Not sure anyone cares...thoughts?) 

Doing that, I discovered that I would still need one 3 credit course in History/Civics, however that is meant to be in the foreign language, and I already do have that credit, but they put it in the general History section on my academic eval. Sooo, I would likely try to get my advisor to move where they're applying that credit on my eval/transcript, and then I'll need just a normal (in English) History general education requirement, which I do not have at all.
Of course, TESU website only list the best TEST options there and while I will be sure to "Contact an Advisor"  Undecided before moving ahead with a potential degree plan change, we all know they are slow and sometimes more focused on trying to get students to take TESU courses than really help with other options (fair, I guess).  I will definitely make sure they will accept what I plan to do before proceeding, but I am betting I'll get better advisement here based on prior student experience regarding what may be my best way to test out of these requirements if I do indeed want to do the last-minute degree area change. I would also need one 3cr course in Ethical Leadership.

I don't really want to take any additional TECEPs (unless they're multiple choice Big Grin ) but I do have free DSST/CLEP testing available to me because of my military affiliation. I know that DSST did update DSST History of the Soviet Union and History of Vietnam War, but I don't have a lot of general knowledge on those topics so they may not be my best options.

Here are the suggestions from TESU on my Academic Evaluation:

History 3SH[b] (Not started)[/b]
Featured Course(s): HIS-114 American History II; HIS-113 American History I; HIS-210 Civil Rights Movement

Ethical Leadership 3SH[b] (Not started)[/b]
Featured Course(s) ETH-220 Leading the Way: A Path Towards Ethical Leadership (Zero Textbook Cost)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions shared.  Heart

Sophia.org has several US history options. US History I and II are similar to a single days-long exam in that there are no assignments at all. For Ethics, literally any Ethics will do. Sophia also has one of those, but it does require a paper. I would give Sophia Ethics a try, IMO.

Or take US History CLEP free through Modern States. Then take any of the DSST Ethics exams. https://iq3prod1.smartcatalogiq.com/en/C...DSST-Exams
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Clep: Us history I or II
Dsst: ethics In america
@WHOASIS1, If you're getting cheap discounts due to the affiliation for military, take the CLEP/DSST route. Having said that, depending on the energy/time you have and speed you would want to finish these, if you're looking to go a bit quicker, it may be easier to do the Sophia.org option for both the courses in 1 month.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
There is no Civics/History requirement at TESU - that's not a thing. So the question is, is the course you need in Section B? Because if so, then you need a course in the Civic Engagement area, then the only CLEP or DSST that will work there is the American Government CLEP exam.

If you need a course in Ethics, DSST has Ethics in America or Ethics in Technology.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-31-2023, 08:22 AM)dfrecore Wrote: There is no Civics/History requirement at TESU - that's not a thing.  So the question is, is the course you need in Section B?  Because if so, then you need a course in the Civic Engagement area, then the only CLEP or DSST that will work there is the American Government CLEP exam.

If you need a course in Ethics, DSST has Ethics in America or Ethics in Technology.

My BALS evaluation requires a history course. It's section 1:C

History 3SH[b] (Not started)[/b]
Featured Course(s): HIS-114 American History II; HIS-113 American History I; HIS-210 Civil Rights Movement
(03-31-2023, 10:30 AM)RJ77 Wrote:
(03-31-2023, 08:22 AM)dfrecore Wrote: There is no Civics/History requirement at TESU - that's not a thing.  So the question is, is the course you need in Section B?  Because if so, then you need a course in the Civic Engagement area, then the only CLEP or DSST that will work there is the American Government CLEP exam.

My BALS evaluation requires a history course. It's section 1:C

History 3SH[b] (Not started)[/b]

All degrees require a history course in section C.

The OP was saying they had to have a "Civics/History" course, and that is what we're talking about here.  A history course won't meet the "Civic Engagement" requirement.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 472 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 603 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  Elective requirements Kones 7 482 10-26-2023, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Kones
  BS Organizational Leadership Ared97 6 481 10-24-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU degree requirements help based on current catalog evenFair23 42 2,957 08-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,092 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
  Foreign (canadian) bachelor's degree does not waive GE requirements? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 12 783 06-11-2023, 11:28 AM
  Pursuing multiple TESU degrees; residency/RA requirements? bruh 8 715 06-11-2023, 03:04 AM
Star Requirements for BA CompSci COMPLETE jsd 22 2,738 03-19-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  RA Credit Requirements for a Second Degree OUStudent 4 811 12-27-2022, 04:42 AM
Last Post: rachel83az