Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing out of degree (New 90 credit limit)
So I was reading that TESU has a 90 credit limit for non-collegiate providers. Does this mean that it's now impossible to fully test out of a degree through TESU (aside from the capstone and cornerstone). Transferring Credit at Thomas Edison State University
You haven't been able to test out of TESU for several years. ACE credits are not testing like CLEP.
Yes and no.

You can fill up the other 24 credits with TECEPs or other RA-provided competency exams (UExcel). But you can't just use Study.com, Saylor, Sophia, and call it a day.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 2 users Like Flelm's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
Hey, are you going for a second degree? Do you already have 24 RA credits?

I don't think you're asking for yourself, I assume this is for family or friends.

Anyways, if you missed the memo, here it is: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Explained
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You could get 15 RA elsewhere such as Tel Learning and TECEP's, then do the TESU flat-rate tuition for $4600 and gather up 16 RA credits to avoid the residency fee. 

People starting from scratch will probably be easier just to do UMPI or WGU.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-06-2021, 06:40 AM)LevelUP Wrote: You could get 15 RA elsewhere such as Tel Learning and TECEP's, then do the TESU flat-rate tuition for $4600 and gather up 16 RA credits to avoid the residency fee. 

Is that the new consensus? I got my Undergraduate from tesu and masters from WGU last year.

Edit: I'm looking for general insight. I don't plan on getting more education through TESU.
(08-06-2021, 11:07 AM)TryHardDieHard Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 06:40 AM)LevelUP Wrote: You could get 15 RA elsewhere such as Tel Learning and TECEP's, then do the TESU flat-rate tuition for $4600 and gather up 16 RA credits to avoid the residency fee. 

Is that the new consensus? I got my Undergraduate from tesu and masters from WGU last year.

No.

UMPI just another option.  It's cheaper than TESU, and has some appealing degrees.  But not everyone wants to do competency-based degrees.

As for the FT/FR tuition at TESU, I don't think a lot of people are doing this. I think it's talked about here, but I don't think it's the norm at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TryHardDieHard Wrote:
LevelUP Wrote:You could get 15 RA elsewhere such as Tel Learning and TECEP's, then do the TESU flat-rate tuition for $4600 and gather up 16 RA credits to avoid the residency fee. 

Yes. For individuals who don't have 24 RA credits and taking their first degree at TESU (just taking cornerstone/capstone + paying residency waiver). For those who have 15+ RA credits already, they'll most likely take 16 credits with the flat fee tuition rate for one term, this will bump them up over 30 RA. Everyone will have varying number of credits... same calculation though...

In your case, you have a TESU degree, you most likely have a cornerstone/capstone, if you paid the residency waiver. You don't really need to get 30 RA credits as the WGU Masters will be noted in your records, thus eliminating that. So, you need to ask yourself, do you have enough residency credits already? If not, then are you going to pay for the 16 credits, or pay the residency fee.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-05-2021, 03:39 PM)TryHardDieHard Wrote: So I was reading that TESU has a 90 credit limit for non-collegiate providers. Does this mean that it's now impossible to fully test out of a degree through TESU (aside from the capstone and cornerstone). Transferring Credit at Thomas Edison State University

Nope - you can easily test out, but 24cr of testing has to come from RA - meaning (generally) TECEP's and/or UExcel's.  But you could conceivably do a BALS or BSBA entirely from "tests" using CLEP/DSST/Davar/Coopersmith/UExcel/TECEP.

If you mean "test out" as a general term, and include course providers like Study.com, Sophia, and Straighterline, then that's doable too (and what most people on here are doing at this point I think).  Actually, my guess is some people stick with 1-2 providers, and some go all over the place within the alt-credit world.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-06-2021, 01:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 03:39 PM)TryHardDieHard Wrote: So I was reading that TESU has a 90 credit limit for non-collegiate providers. Does this mean that it's now impossible to fully test out of a degree through TESU (aside from the capstone and cornerstone). Transferring Credit at Thomas Edison State University

Nope - you can easily test out, but 24cr of testing has to come from RA - meaning (generally) TECEP's and/or UExcel's.  But you could conceivably do a BALS or BSBA entirely from "tests" using CLEP/DSST/Davar/Coopersmith/UExcel/TECEP.

If you mean "test out" as a general term, and include course providers like Study.com, Sophia, and Straighterline, then that's doable too (and what most people on here are doing at this point I think).  Actually, my guess is some people stick with 1-2 providers, and some go all over the place within the alt-credit world.

Yes, dfrecore is 100% correct. Testing out is still a great option. I have my military kids doing this now. I have taken TESU tests as well and they don't seem over the top to me. Honestly, I think a mixture of credits is always best but everyone's situation may be different.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • FastTrackDegree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 293 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,585 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 239 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,758 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 693 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  A&I CLEP not counted in 90cr limit Murdockb 1 248 01-18-2024, 11:57 AM
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 499 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM