Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesu AAS transfer to online BS with OSU?
Hello. I wanted to see if anyone has gotten a associates degree with TESU and transferred it towards a bachelors degree online with Oregon State University? 

I don't have a degree yet, currently just some credits (see below) and am just getting started with my plan. My end goal is a B.S. in Agricultural Sciences (with OSU?) and after research it looks like getting an Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics (ASNSM) degree in Biology with TESU (and testing out of a ton of credits before that, following "The Plan") would be the optimal route to save time, then I could transfer after I complete the AS. I am hoping for the AS to get something on my resume quickly (just in case life happens and I need to get a job, meanwhile I am a homemaker), and am okay with paying the big bucks in the future for the OSU degree - if it's a quality program and my credits will transfer to them.

Is this a good plan? Any problems transferring an AS from TESU to a BS at another online school? I looked at the BS degrees offered online with the big 3 and am not really that interested in what they have to offer. Unless it's quick and easy to get the Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Biology from TESU and would be a better idea to do it that way, and then transfer to get the degree I really want? From what I could find, OSU looks like they have the most interesting options for my end goal of a career working in AG/Bureau of Land Management government types of positions.  

My current credits are minimal, with just one semester at a technical school:

Credit By Exam:
ENGL -101 Composition CR 3.00

Prior Learning Credit:
HC -104 Multi-Disciplinary Health Team CR 3.00

Spring Term Semester:
HC -117 Medical Language CR B 1.00 
HC -119 Anatomy Physiology CR B 5.00 
HC -119L Anatomy Physiology Lab CR P 0.00
MATH -099L Basic Math Lab CR A 2.00 
MATH -101 Intermediate Algebra CR B 4.00 
SSS -100 Student Success Seminar CR A 2.00 

Career Totals: 20.00

Any experience/input would be appreciated! Thanks!

- Bethany
With most (all?) colleges, they are going to want to see your transcripts. So, even if you get your AA/AS from TESU, that does not mean that OSU will bring in all of your credits the way you want, because they're going to want to see where your credits all came from. If they don't accept ACE/NCCRS credits, then they aren't going to take the credits you used to get your AS, even though TESU brought them in, because they're considered transfer credits (meaning not earned at TESU).

The only surefire way to do this is if a school agrees to bring in any AA/AS as a block transfer, meaning they will not look at the original credits, just the AA, and use that to fulfill your Gen Ed portion of the 4-yr degree. This is not common, especially between states. WGU will do this, but the Gen Ed portion of their degree only accounts for about 25-30% of the degree - so you're really not getting a great deal, exchanging 60cr for 30cr there. But that's just one example of a school that does block transfers.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Bethany, you're adding pain and cost to a process that is otherwise pretty inexpensive and painless. (not to mention risk of credit loss in transfer)
Yes, this will totally not work. OSU will have to transfer in each individual credit, and if they don't take the credits you used at TESU (and they probably won't) then you'll have to do them over. Getting the AAS doesn't help with the process at all.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
OSU has a list of all the credits they will accept

http://admissions.oregonstate.edu/?q=cre...ortunities

Would be 'easier' ? to just do your CLEP/IB/AP/A levels, and transfer them into OSU and continue towards your degree.

i guess if you really wanted an AA/AS, once you've clocked in 60 credit hours in OSU, send them to Pierpont CC to get a BOG AA ?
[-] The following 2 users Like nyvrem's post:
  • dfrecore, Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 263 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,146 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 209 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,456 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 598 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,610 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 351 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 367 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
Shocked Online Course Provider 2U (edX) Faces Doubts It Can Continue ($900 Million in debt) Ares 3 374 02-16-2024, 02:51 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests