Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesu Residency Requirements
I send them a e-mail.
(07-18-2019, 11:41 AM)davewill Wrote: Get a clarification. It could simply be poor communication, something TESU excels at, and simply mean only 90 foreign transfer units, or it could mean what it says literally. Certainly other foreign students have been able to do test out here before.

I agree with davewill on this. I think it means you cannot transfer in 114 credits from a foreign school, then just take the cornerstone and capstone, and suddenly you have yourself a (RA) US degree.

(07-18-2019, 11:26 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: If this is what it sounds like, it's a potentially huge deal that basically takes TESU off the test-out map and makes it a Big 2 of Excelsior and COSC

The impact would only be on international students (worst case scenerio - which I don't think is the case). That would be far from removing TESU from the 'test-out/alternative credit route to a  degree' options for most of the students/degree seekers here.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I literally just got off of the phone with TESU and they told me (for domestic students) that it was 114 credit hours for transfer and that I have to meet the 16 credits taken at their school or pay the $2,500 Residency Fee. Does this change anything for anyone utilizing alternative websites for credits? Just wanting to make sure.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
(07-18-2019, 12:06 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: I literally just got off of the phone with TESU and they told me (for domestic students) that it was 114 credit hours for transfer and that I have to meet the 16 credits taken at their school or pay the $2,500 Residency Fee.  Does this change anything for anyone utilizing alternative websites for credits?  Just wanting to make sure.

It changes nothing.  (other than the residencey fee waiver is now $2800 starting in the 2019/2020 year)
Amberton University

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • BrighterFuture88
I send tesu a e-mail.
(07-18-2019, 12:13 PM)allvia Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 12:06 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: I literally just got off of the phone with TESU and they told me (for domestic students) that it was 114 credit hours for transfer and that I have to meet the 16 credits taken at their school or pay the $2,500 Residency Fee.  Does this change anything for anyone utilizing alternative websites for credits?  Just wanting to make sure.

It changes nothing.  (other than the residencey fee waiver is now $2800 starting in the 2019/2020 year)

Perfect.  That’s good to hear.  $2,800 is definitely a chunk of cheddar.  I’ll have to figure out the overall cost of the degree once I have more courses completed.

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
(07-18-2019, 12:22 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote:

Perfect.  That’s good to hear.  $2,800 is definitely a chunk of cheddar.  I’ll have to figure out the overall cost of the degree once I have more courses completed.

It's easier to look at it like as an additional $300 it is that you'll need to budget for Smile
Amberton University

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • BrighterFuture88
(07-18-2019, 12:40 PM)allvia Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 12:22 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote:

It's easier to look at it like as an additional $300 it is that you'll need to budget for Smile

Yeah, that’s totally fair.  Still, it’s better than paying full price for a Bachelors, so I’m not complaining.  Big Grin

[-] The following 1 user Likes BrighterFuture88's post:
  • allvia
They send me this: You can complete courses with study.com however you have a residency requirement to meet which depends on the program you are enrolled in so I cannot put a specific credit amount on it without more information. Your best bet may be to speak with an admissions counselor which can be reached at admissions@tesu.edu

For degree-seeking students, a credit hour residency requirement indicates the number of credits you must complete through the University in order to graduate. It does not mean what you must physically come to the University or attend courses at any physical location. However, not everyone has this requirement. Whether or not you have to satisfy a credit hour residency requirement depends upon your enrollment plan. The tuition plans and programs that currently have a requirement include:

Per Credit Tuition Plan
Military Degree Completion Program
Navy University Partnership Program
GoArmyEd/eArmyU Program
You can determine if you have satisfied the requirement by viewing your academic evaluationand unofficial transcript, as it is listed on both. Your academic advisor can also confirm if you have met your requirement.

How Can I Fulfill the Requirement?
Students who select the Per Credit Tuition Plan with the intention of graduating from Thomas Edison State University with an associate degree or bachelor's degree have an academic residency requirement of 16 credits. Residency requirements are met by earning credit via Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack(EP) courses. Simply being enrolled in the course will not satisfy the requirement unless you successfully complete it. Your academic evaluation and transcript will update accordingly with the corresponding credits.

HOWEVER…

Federal financial aid and tuition assistance cannot be awarded for e-Pack, Prior Learning Assessment or TECEP examinations.

So if you are an undergraduate student using federal aid funds, you can only take online and/or guided study courses to fulfill your credit hour residency requirement.

If you are a military or veteran student enrolled in the GoArmyEd, Navy University or Military Degree Completion programs, you must satisfy your academic residency requirement prior to graduation. If you are using VA benefits, you can use online and guided study courses, as well as TECEP exams to fulfill the requirement. An academic advisor from the Office of Academic Advising can guide your course selection and ensure you are on the right path for graduation.

For additional information regarding credit hour residency requirements, visit the Credit Hour Residency FAQs page.
@SweetsugarNL I honestly don't think this changes your plan at all.  You're not trying to transfer in your entire degree from foreign credit.  Until you get your evaluation you will not know 100% were you stand.  Until this is done, and your catalog locked in, they could change their requirements 10 times and you still would not know where you stand for sure (without the official TESU evaluation).  We have many international student here.  Maybe you should post a new thread called "International Student seeking guidance from others" - then you can get feedback from those who are/have been where you are now.
Amberton University

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 259 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch