Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Textbook purchase question - Global vs US edition? (TECEP-related)
Good morning all,

Down to my last few classes with TESC, and next one I plan on taking starting next month (hopefully) is Financial Institution and Markets (FIN-331). Got a question on obtaining textbooks for it though, as I don't want to be so cheap that I shortchange myself on my studies.

On its test description, it's one of the few that openly states that you can use the new or last edition of a textbook in order to study for the class. I've compared the prices between the previous editions of both text books, and will most likely be going with the Frederic S. Mishkin textbook, listed here: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Financial Markets and Institutions

The only thing I'm concerned with at this time is that it looks like it might be the Global edition, from what I can see of the textbook cover. I've never really run into a situation before between a US edition and an International/Global edition, so I was wondering if this book should be sufficient? Admittedly my knowledge of how the textbook industry works is limited, so if this book is fine, I'll go ahead and purchase it.

Thanks all for all the help so far.
Good morning.

No need. Give me a few minutes and check your PM.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
For my Operations Management TECEP, I used the global edition and it worked for me. I equally used global editions for some of my Straighterline courses and the contents were the same.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
International and U.S. editions are pretty much the same for academic purposes. Sometimes chapters are in a different order and math problems might be in different measurements (metric). IEs are also sometimes printed on cheaper quality paper, have different covers, and might be printed in black and white.

I've handled several different IEs and compared them to the U.S. editions. I've yet to find major differences that would impact the ability to use one in a class. Smile
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
OfficerA Wrote:Good morning all,

Down to my last few classes with TESC, and next one I plan on taking starting next month (hopefully) is Financial Institution and Markets (FIN-331). Got a question on obtaining textbooks for it though, as I don't want to be so cheap that I shortchange myself on my studies.

On its test description, it's one of the few that openly states that you can use the new or last edition of a textbook in order to study for the class. I've compared the prices between the previous editions of both text books, and will most likely be going with the Frederic S. Mishkin textbook, listed here: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Financial Markets and Institutions

The only thing I'm concerned with at this time is that it looks like it might be the Global edition, from what I can see of the textbook cover. I've never really run into a situation before between a US edition and an International/Global edition, so I was wondering if this book should be sufficient? Admittedly my knowledge of how the textbook industry works is limited, so if this book is fine, I'll go ahead and purchase it.

Thanks all for all the help so far.

Usually the international versions don't have pictures, and are printed on very poor quality paper. Sometimes, they can be missing end-of-chapter problems, or the like.

I took that test several months back and used the Mayo textbook - it seemed to do the job because I passed. If you want, I'll sell you my copy. PM me if interested.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
Ubuntu_user Wrote:Usually the international versions don't have pictures, and are printed on very poor quality paper. Sometimes, they can be missing end-of-chapter problems, or the like.

I took that test several months back and used the Mayo textbook - it seemed to do the job because I passed. If you want, I'll sell you my copy. PM me if interested.

I have never experienced international versions not having pictures- almost all my SL textbooks and few TECEPS were International editions and they came with pictures, printed on good (could maybe be better) quality paper, and had chapter summaries and end of chapters- including glossaries and indexes. Maybe it depends on individual textbooks, international editions are, with my experience, not that bad.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
There are different kinds of international editions and each of them will have their own standard of quality. So far McGraw-Hill international edition has been really good (fully colored), Pearson is also not too bad (black-and-white). There's another called TATA McGraw-Hill, which is different from McGraw-Hill.
Financial Markets and Institutions, 7th Ed (2012) by Mishkin - US Edition - Color Vivid - Hardcover
(The Prentice Hall Series in Finance)
Publisher: Prentice Hall (January 13, 2011)
ISBN-13: 978-0132136839
Amazon.com: Financial Markets and Institutions (7th Edition) (The Prentice Hall Series in Finance) (9780132136839): Frederic S. Mishkin, Stanley Eakins: Books

Financial Markets and Institutions, 7th Ed (2012) by Mishkin - Global Edition - Color Vivid - Paperback
Publisher: Pearson Education (March 22, 2011)
ISBN-13: 978-0273754442
Financial Markets and Institutions: Frederic S. Mishkin and Stanley G. Eakin: 9780273754442: Amazon.com: Books

Cheapest Print
Financial Markets and Institutions, 7th Ed (2012) by Mishkin - Custom (not listed as US or Int'l)
Publisher: Pearson Learning Solutions
ISBN-13: 978-0132136891 - Hardcover / Plain Red Cover / Color Muted
ISBN-13: 978-1256527022 - Paperback / Print Cover / Color Muted
Financial Markets and Institutions 7th Edition Mishkin 978 0 13 213683 9 | eBay
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Financial Markets & Institutions Custom Edition=

I've seen US business series textbooks as well as a few Psych printed in black/white with plain covers. They were custom printed for a college/university. Even one of the Penn Foster textbook kits I received was custom printed black/white.

I'm not disputing there may be international versions that are black/white, but the same holds true for US versions.

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">Financial Markets and Inst.jpg (Size: 94.52 KB / Downloads: 0)

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:Financial Markets and Institutions, 7th Ed (2012) by Mishkin - US Edition - Color Vivid - Hardcover
(The Prentice Hall Series in Finance)
Publisher: Prentice Hall (January 13, 2011)
ISBN-13: 978-0132136839
Amazon.com: Financial Markets and Institutions (7th Edition) (The Prentice Hall Series in Finance) (9780132136839): Frederic S. Mishkin, Stanley Eakins: Books

Financial Markets and Institutions, 7th Ed (2012) by Mishkin - Global Edition - Color Vivid - Paperback
Publisher: Pearson Education (March 22, 2011)
ISBN-13: 978-0273754442
Financial Markets and Institutions: Frederic S. Mishkin and Stanley G. Eakin: 9780273754442: Amazon.com: Books

Cheapest Print
Financial Markets and Institutions, 7th Ed (2012) by Mishkin - Custom (not listed as US or Int'l)
Publisher: Pearson Learning Solutions
ISBN-13: 978-0132136891 - Hardcover / Plain Red Cover / Color Muted
ISBN-13: 978-1256527022 - Softcover / Print Cover / Color Muted
Financial Markets and Institutions 7th Edition Mishkin 978 0 13 213683 9 | eBay
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Financial Markets & Institutions Custom Edition=

I've seen US business series textbooks as well as a few Psych printed in black/white with plain covers. They were custom printed for a college/university. Even one of the Penn Foster textbook kits I received was custom printed black/white.

I'm not disputing there may be international versions that are black/white, but the same holds true for US versions.

I've come across several custom editions, too. They're way cheaper than the US editions and international editions, but I'm not sure if their content are the same. Are they?
laughter Wrote:I've come across several custom editions, too. They're way cheaper than the US editions and international editions, but I'm not sure if their content are the same. Are they?

US 704pgs Hardcover $209.69USD (new),
Global 704pgs Paperback £$57.53/$97USD (new), seller $55USD+ ships from UK (new),
Custom 623pgs Hardcover $90USD (new),
Custom 623pgs Paperback $25-50USD (could only find used prices).

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,677 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,470 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,675 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,746 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,996 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,797 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 2,033 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,197 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,999 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,845 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic