Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 90 Credit Limit and Multiple Undergraduate Degrees
(11-07-2019, 11:59 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: You have to have a certain number of "new" credits for a 2nd degree but the 90 from the same source limitation doesn't mean you have to have a new 90 for every degree.

They aren't going to make you re-take English Comp 1 & 2 with every degree, for instance.

Yeah with Tesu at least for your 2nd bachelors they wavie all gen Ed's and free electives. All you need to do is the aos, core and any degree required courses.
(11-07-2019, 11:59 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: You have to have a certain number of "new" credits for a 2nd degree but the 90 from the same source limitation doesn't mean you have to have a new 90 for every degree.

They aren't going to make you re-take English Comp 1 & 2 with every degree, for instance.

Yes, this is known.  Your new credits almost exclusively have to be in the major.  At TESU for sure, with a 2nd BA/BS your GE and free electives are waived - you ONLY take credits in the Core/AOS of the new degree.  COSC seems similar, but I haven't seen where it specifically says that - but the fact that they only mention the concentration speaks volumes.

It was more a question of if you use, for example, Study.com for 90cr towards a Psych degree and graduate, and then want to go back and get a BSBA, can you use Study.com for the BSBA, or have you "used up" all of your Study.com credit allowance?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I don't know this thread seems like a waste of time:

1. It isn't practical to use 90 credits from study.com (or anyone source). Due to cost, study.com monthly limits and more. If there is anything you already know a ton about one and done methods like clep might be more efficient. 90 study.com credits seems really innfiencent and a pain. Also a lot of people here have prior credits and dont even need 90 credits to finish.

2. Earning a second tesu degree is not usually recommended. If OP wants to earn two tesu degrees it is a better idea to earn them both at once to avoid paying two waiver fees. Also the new credits must be earned after the 1st degree is conferred so it puts you in a weird spot for a few months where you cant earn credit, not the fastest option.

3. Too many people come on here asking about two degrees when they haven't even earned one. I myself was in this place one. To all the newbies, just start by working on one degree. You can add a second degree later. But doing all this planning towards multiple degrees is taking away time you could be working towards one. Two degrees does not equal double the success.

Tesu might not even have an answer. Seems not common that someone would earn 90 credits from one source and then go back to earn a second degree. If this actually might apply to you, I'd ask tesu once you have started your journey.

But I recommend either doing two degrees at once or doing one tesu degree and then a masters. Going back for a 2nd tesu degree is not the cheapest or quickest path.
(11-07-2019, 01:24 PM)natshar Wrote: I don't know this thread seems like a waste of time:

2. Earning a second tesu degree is not usually recommended. If OP wants to earn two tesu degrees it is a better idea to earn them both at once to avoid paying two waiver fees.

3. Too many people come on here asking about two degrees when they haven't even earned one. I myself was in this place one. To all the newbies, just start by working on one degree. You can add a second degree later. But doing all this planning towards multiple degrees is taking away time you could be working towards one. Two degrees does not equal double the success.

I agree, it's kind of a waste, although finding out the reasons why it's a waste is good too.

I can't remember if you can earn 2 degrees simultaneously from 2 different schools at TESU (like a BA in Psych and a BSBA).  If you can't, then you'd have to do them separately, which is too expensive.  Even doing them simultaneously, you'd have to do 2 capstones, so there's that expense.

I also agree about asking about 2 degrees when you haven't even started on the first degree.  Get the first degree.  Getting halfway to 2 different degrees and then burning out because it's too much work is silly and a waste of time and money.  Get the first degree completed up through the capstone, and then decide if you REALLY want to spend more time and money getting the 2nd one.  Most people won't.

Like I said, planning the pre-req's for the 2nd degree in order to get a master's is a MUCH better idea.  Figure out what's going to pay off in the short term (the BSBA or BA in Psych), then build in the pre-reqs for the master's program for the other into your Bachelor's degree, and you're all set.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-08-2019, 02:50 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 01:24 PM)natshar Wrote: I don't know this thread seems like a waste of time:

2. Earning a second tesu degree is not usually recommended. If OP wants to earn two tesu degrees it is a better idea to earn them both at once to avoid paying two waiver fees.

I can't remember if you can earn 2 degrees simultaneously from 2 different schools at TESU (like a BA in Psych and a BSBA).  If you can't, then you'd have to do them separately, which is too expensive.  Even doing them simultaneously, you'd have to do 2 capstones, so there's that expense.

Yes Tesu allows it. Apparently they used to not allow it but now they do. I actually have a bsba and ba both on my tesu evaluation right now.

If you decide to do two degrees at once you must have 24 different credits between the two degrees (these 24 credits don't have to be in the aos like they do for a 2nd degree). However, only 9 credits max can be used in the aos for both degrees so most likely these 24 credit will be. And the 100 credit Capstone rules applies separately for each degree. This is all information tesu told me. However we know sometimes what they tell us isn't accurate. Also I never actually finished any of my tesu degrees.

Note when I say two degrees I am talking about a ba and bsba not a dual aos. Also you have to get your two degrees approved and some they might not let you do if they are similar. Someone on this forum said that you cant do both bacs and bsit at the same time for example.

Yeah if OP (or anyone) is thinking of doing two tesu degrees at once you would be better off taking 16 credits at tesu to avoid the waiver. You are already at 9 (two Capstones, sos110). The best value would be to take them all in one term. But taking two capstone at once sounds brutal and might not even be allowed.
(11-07-2019, 01:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Yes, this is known.  Your new credits almost exclusively have to be in the major.  At TESU for sure, with a 2nd BA/BS your GE and free electives are waived - you ONLY take credits in the Core/AOS of the new degree.  COSC seems similar, but I haven't seen where it specifically says that - but the fact that they only mention the concentration speaks volumes.

It was more a question of if you use, for example, Study.com for 90cr towards a Psych degree and graduate, and then want to go back and get a BSBA, can you use Study.com for the BSBA, or have you "used up" all of your Study.com credit allowance?

No, the 90 credits per degree is per degree and not per school. So of your 120 credits in each degree, only 90 can come from study.com. if you have 90 on there from study.com for the first degree that all transfer over to the second degree, then you'll need 30 from some new place. either way, you can do 90 per degree from one source. And you have to do 30 new ones for the new degree usually. So (for example) if you did all your core stuff at LSU, and got 30 credits there, and 90 from Study.com to get your first degree, and then those 30 LSU credits transferred to your 2nd degree as well, you could still do 90 credits from Study.com for the 2nd degree but at least 30 of them would have to be new credits that aren't on the first degree's transcript
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(11-07-2019, 10:42 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 09:31 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: I was told SOS-110 is waived if you already have a bachelor's degree, so no not all tesu degrees require it.

Ok, geez, nitpick - all FIRST degrees (bachelor's or associate's) require it.

==============================================

Also, not certain why this all defaulted to TESU, but the OP asked about the Big 3.

All of the Big 3 require a cornerstone and capstone now:

- TESU used to not have a cornerstone, but instead had an "Info Lit" area that could be fulfilled with some specific courses.  They added a 1cr cornerstone at one point, and it lasted for a while (maybe a year?).  Then, they removed the 1cr cornerstone as a course earlier this year, and now the Info Lit requirement can only be met by the 3cr cornerstone course.

- EC didn't have a cornerstone, but did have a 1cr Info Lit requirement; they have recently added a cornerstone and kept the 1cr Info Lit requirement.

- COSC has had a cornerstone for as long as I remember
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Limit on credits from a single source:
TESU limits it to 90cr
COSC limits it to 87cr
EC limits it to 84cr

Getting a 2nd bachelor's degree:
TESU requires 24 new credits, all in the AOS (so 18cr must be UL)
COSC requires 30 new credits, 15cr of which must be UL in the concentration
EC - can't find info on the website or their catalog about this

TESU is very expensive to get a 2nd degree, since you have to add the $2800 residency waiver to the cost.  I wouldn't do it.  You're better off earning a Psych degree at TESU and then getting a BSBA at WGU; or some sort of combination like that.  Or, better yet, earn a Psych degree, include all of the prereqs, and then get an MBA at WGU.  Or get a BSBA, and then get a MA in Psych from Capella FlexPath.  It will cost roughly the same amount to get a 2nd degree at TESU as to get a MA or MBA somewhere else, so why bother?

I had Excelsior do an evaluation. Having a previous degree had no effect. They did not waive any GE or cornerstone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 511 04-17-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,489 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 611 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,793 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 742 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,738 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,926 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 445 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 273 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM