Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 90 Credit Limit and Multiple Undergraduate Degrees
The Big Three tend to limit imported credits from a single source to 90 credits. So, if you need 120 credits for your degree, only 90 of them can come from Study.com (for example) and the remaining 27 must come from somewhere else. The last three credits are a "capstone" required to graduate.

What happens if you get multiple degrees?

Let's say you get a BSBA and you get 90 credits from one source and 30 from another. Later, you go back and get a Psyche degree, for example, and in your hypothetical case you only need 18 or so additional credits to make that happen. Is the source you got the 90 credits from originally no longer a viable source for the additional 18 credits? Or, does the limit "reset" because you're on a new degree path?
They have a limit of two undergrad degrees at TESU IIRC so I bet they wouldn’t reset because it wouldn’t be hard to diversify that additional 18 credits or whatever.
(11-06-2019, 02:33 PM)retro Wrote: The Big Three tend to limit imported credits from a single source to 90 credits. So, if you need 120 credits for your degree, only 90 of them can come from Study.com (for example) and the remaining 27 must come from somewhere else. The last three credits are a "capstone" required to graduate.

Let's say you get a BSBA and you get 90 credits from one source and 30 from another. Later, you go back and get a Psyche degree, for example, and in your hypothetical case you only need 18 or so additional credits to make that happen. Is the source you got the 90 credits from originally no longer a viable source for the additional 18 credits? Or, does the limit "reset" because you're on a new degree path?

No idea on the main question, but just wanted to point out that you have to take 6cr at the Big 3 - the cornerstone AND the capstone.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-06-2019, 03:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 02:33 PM)retro Wrote: The Big Three tend to limit imported credits from a single source to 90 credits. So, if you need 120 credits for your degree, only 90 of them can come from Study.com (for example) and the remaining 27 must come from somewhere else. The last three credits are a "capstone" required to graduate.

No idea on the main question, but just wanted to point out that you have to take 6cr at the Big 3 - the cornerstone AND the capstone.

Do you have a link to a resource that explains this more fully? This isn't my understanding at all. I could, of course, simply be incorrect in my understanding. The nearest analogue in my recollection is some dispute over whether the the Information Literacy requirement can be imported via ACE credits or the like.
(11-06-2019, 03:55 PM)retro Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 03:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: No idea on the main question, but just wanted to point out that you have to take 6cr at the Big 3 - the cornerstone AND the capstone.

Do you have a link to a resource that explains this more fully? This isn't my understanding at all. I could, of course, simply be incorrect in my understanding. The nearest analogue in my recollection is some dispute over whether the the Information Literacy requirement can be imported via ACE credits or the like.

They started requiring taking their 1cr cornerstone a couple of years ago, and since June, you've had to take their 3cr SOS-110 Info Literacy as the cornerstone. I think the only way you can transfer Info Lit in at this point is if you already have the old cornerstone completed or your catalog predates the cornerstone requirement altogether. Also, a second degree requires 24 new credits (including another capstone). I'd love to hear the answer to the main question of the 90cr limit. I think there's a chance the number might well reset.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I asked tesu if you are earning two bachelors degrees at the same time there is a 90 credit limit from a single source (80 cr from CC) that does not reset.

The only way if might "reset" is if you earned one degree and then came back one for another. But even then I'm not sure. And usually this is not a good idea because you would have to pay the wavier fee again and take the Capstone again if it is needed.

And sos 110 is required for all tesu degrees and you cant transfer it via alt credit or anything else you must take it at tesu.

And also if you earned a 1st degree and came back for a second degree you would need at least 24 new credits and they have to be in the aos. This is a policy.
I was told SOS-110 is waived if you already have a bachelor's degree, so no not all tesu degrees require it.
(11-06-2019, 09:31 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: I was told SOS-110 is waived if you already have a bachelor's degree, so no not all tesu degrees require it.

Yeah true that is only way to waive it. But I believe the bachelor's degree has to be from a regionally accredited school in the US or it doesnt count.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • akr680
(11-06-2019, 09:31 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: I was told SOS-110 is waived if you already have a bachelor's degree, so no not all tesu degrees require it.

Ok, geez, nitpick - all FIRST degrees (bachelor's or associate's) require it.

==============================================

Also, not certain why this all defaulted to TESU, but the OP asked about the Big 3.

All of the Big 3 require a cornerstone and capstone now:

- TESU used to not have a cornerstone, but instead had an "Info Lit" area that could be fulfilled with some specific courses.  They added a 1cr cornerstone at one point, and it lasted for a while (maybe a year?).  Then, they removed the 1cr cornerstone as a course earlier this year, and now the Info Lit requirement can only be met by the 3cr cornerstone course.

- EC didn't have a cornerstone, but did have a 1cr Info Lit requirement; they have recently added a cornerstone and kept the 1cr Info Lit requirement.

- COSC has had a cornerstone for as long as I remember
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Limit on credits from a single source:
TESU limits it to 90cr
COSC limits it to 87cr
EC limits it to 84cr

Getting a 2nd bachelor's degree:
TESU requires 24 new credits, all in the AOS (so 18cr must be UL)
COSC requires 30 new credits, 15cr of which must be UL in the concentration
EC - can't find info on the website or their catalog about this

TESU is very expensive to get a 2nd degree, since you have to add the $2800 residency waiver to the cost.  I wouldn't do it.  You're better off earning a Psych degree at TESU and then getting a BSBA at WGU; or some sort of combination like that.  Or, better yet, earn a Psych degree, include all of the prereqs, and then get an MBA at WGU.  Or get a BSBA, and then get a MA in Psych from Capella FlexPath.  It will cost roughly the same amount to get a 2nd degree at TESU as to get a MA or MBA somewhere else, so why bother?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • akr680
You have to have a certain number of "new" credits for a 2nd degree but the 90 from the same source limitation doesn't mean you have to have a new 90 for every degree.

They aren't going to make you re-take English Comp 1 & 2 with every degree, for instance.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,579 Yesterday, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 605 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,618 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 404 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 245 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 545 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 656 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso