Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Big 3. Why?
You can transfer in 117 of the 120 credits.  They use to let you transfer in 100%.   I have done it three times.  NO other colleges will.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-06-2019, 11:13 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: You can transfer in 117 of the 120 credits.  They use to let you transfer in 100%.   I have done it three times.  NO other colleges will.

Three times? Do you have degrees from all three of the big three?
(01-06-2019, 10:47 PM)jsd Wrote: WGU gets talked about a lot as "almost" being part of the Big 3 (making it a Big 4), but as discussed in this thread, competency based education really is a different approach. As CBE evolves, I think there will be a Big X of CBE that eventually emerges, something like WGU, Nothern Arizona University, and JFK University. But it's really up in the air as how that plays out. We've seen other players in the CBE field like Hodges University fizzle out for no clear reason, and there's also other potential players in the field that could make a name for themselves (e.g. Purdue Global, UW Flex, Brandman Univ... and if you're comfortable opening it up to more questionable for-profit institutions: Capella, Walden, etc)

Pierpont Board of Governor's AAS, is 100% way more a Big 4 than WGU.  WGS is second tier.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-06-2019, 11:19 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Pierpont Board of Governor's AAS, is 100% way more a Big 4 than WGU.  WGS is second tier.

You've made this argument before, but it was shot down by everyone else on the forum because it doesn't even grant Bachelors degrees. It's a non-starter.

Not to mention they don't even provide you with a transcript.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-06-2019, 11:19 PM)natshar Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 11:13 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: You can transfer in 117 of the 120 credits.  They use to let you transfer in 100%.   I have done it three times.  NO other colleges will.

Three times? Do you have degrees from all three of the big three?

No two from USNY (now called Excelsior college) when 100% could be transferred in and I did.  They were called assessment colleges back then.  They are 97.5% (117/120) still are.

The third one from Excelsior College with 116.  It was not worth my time to do 117 in this one case.

(01-06-2019, 11:22 PM)jsd Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 11:19 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Pierpont Board of Governor's AAS, is 100% way more a Big 4 than WGU.  WGS is second tier.

You've made this argument before, but it was shot down by everyone else on the forum because it doesn't even grant Bachelors degrees. It's a non-starter.

Its a fact WGS requires 30 SH.

(01-06-2019, 11:23 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Its a fact WGS requires 30 SH.

Right. Which is part of why I was reiterating that WGU's approach is in a different league than the Big 3 and should be considered separately alongside more comparable programs, not part of the Big 3.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • quigongene
I dunno, I thought the TESU yearly fee for 36 credits was pretty competitive vs a lot of colleges I’ve seen. Of course it’s still much cheaper transferring credits in.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

(01-06-2019, 11:22 PM)jsd Wrote:

Even without the bachelor's degree element, you can't complete that degree without taking CLASSES through a RA college, and that's a non-starter for most.
(01-06-2019, 11:19 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 10:47 PM)jsd Wrote: WGU gets talked about a lot as "almost" being part of the Big 3 (making it a Big 4), but as discussed in this thread, competency based education really is a different approach. As CBE evolves, I think there will be a Big X of CBE that eventually emerges, something like WGU, Nothern Arizona University, and JFK University. But it's really up in the air as how that plays out. We've seen other players in the CBE field like Hodges University fizzle out for no clear reason, and there's also other potential players in the field that could make a name for themselves (e.g. Purdue Global, UW Flex, Brandman Univ... and if you're comfortable opening it up to more questionable for-profit institutions: Capella, Walden, etc)

Pierpont Board of Governor's AAS, is 100% way more a Big 4 than WGU.  WGS is second tier.

Completely disagree - if you have to take a course there just to get a transcript, and it's a CC where you can't get a Bachelor's degree then it's not Big-3 league.

WGU is a different style than the big 3, but it's included in this forum because of cost.  You can get most degrees for less than $3,500 if you transfer in 90cr and take the remaining 30 in a single term.  It can be cheaper and better to get an IT degree here than anywhere else.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA