Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fastest Way to Upgrade Your Lifestyle (In Uncertain Times)
The pandemic recession has negatively affected many lives, but the future is still bright for most people. The fastest way to upgrade your lifestyle in uncertain times is...

Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

I like this message, in general, although I also believe that most people are emotionally tied to wherever it is that they're living.  I especially believe that people who want a career in academia might want to consider going abroad to work at a non-US university.  Most people will shy away from simply moving to a city 1,000 miles away because of the prospect of an increase in their socioeconomic status.  It also requires a sense of adventure (or maybe a sense of nothing to lose.)  Beyond this I'd only comment that your presentation could be a bit faster.  Maybe there's a way to use your laptop as a teleprompter.  Also, your background could use some help.
https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/04...rated.html
(02-01-2022, 06:20 PM)Alpha Wrote: I especially believe that people who want a career in academia might want to consider going abroad to work at a non-US university. 

FWIW, the US may be the easiest (or is at least one of the easiest) countries to get into an academic career. At the university level, there are more schools and less nepotism than in other countries. There are other fields that one might wish to move abroad for, but a career in academia probably isn't one of them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-01-2022, 07:06 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 06:20 PM)Alpha Wrote: I especially believe that people who want a career in academia might want to consider going abroad to work at a non-US university. 

FWIW, the US may be the easiest (or is at least one of the easiest) countries to get into an academic career. At the university level, there are more schools and less nepotism than in other countries. There are other fields that one might wish to move abroad for, but a career in academia probably isn't one of them.

You may well be right about that.  Perhaps it's just an old myth.
Plenty of jobs teaching English overseas. All you need is a bachelor's degree with any major.  It's possible to make 6 figures teaching English overseas. 

Otherwise making money while overseas, you need to be a digital nomad, do business consulting/sales, or just be living off your income from U.S. investments, etc.

There are opportunities to live rent-free if you volunteer in some places.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-01-2022, 06:20 PM)Alpha Wrote: I like this message, in general, although I also believe that most people are emotionally tied to wherever it is that they're living.  I especially believe that people who want a career in academia might want to consider going abroad to work at a non-US university.  Most people will shy away from simply moving to a city 1,000 miles away because of the prospect of an increase in their socioeconomic status.  It also requires a sense of adventure (or maybe a sense of nothing to lose.) 

I agree most people are emotionally tied to their local areas. In addition, many people are discouraged to live abroad because of common cultural stereotypes. However, in the video, it was stated that moving to a cheaper city nearby may be a better alternative than living in another country.

(02-01-2022, 07:06 PM)rachel83az Wrote: There are other fields that one might wish to move abroad for, but a career in academia probably isn't one of them.

It is generally not financially advantageous for someone to move to a Latin American, African, or Southeast Asian country for a career in academia. However, I agree that there are other fields that may be worthy of the relocation.
Completed:

Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle

(02-01-2022, 10:42 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Plenty of jobs teaching English overseas. All you need is a bachelor's degree with any major. 

There are ESL jobs that don't require a bachelor's degree. Some of them just require that you're a current student of any bachelor's degree program.
Completed:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 869 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Windows 11 Upgrade Requirements! bjcheung77 2 811 10-18-2021, 06:41 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  Macrium Reflect 7 freebie (and paid version with free upgrade to 8) bjcheung77 0 915 04-16-2021, 08:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Fastest Growing Jobs in America Don't Require a College Degree sanantone 0 1,128 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Today's the last day to get your WINDOWS 10 upgrade FREE! Get it by Midnight! bjcheung77 2 967 07-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  To Upgrade or not? traveler 10 1,758 07-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Last Post: traveler
  Your favorte quick/easy dinners for busy testing times? OpenRoot 9 1,443 01-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  I was interviewed about Straighterline by the New York Times ryoder 18 4,040 09-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  NY Times STG 16 2,146 04-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Last Post: STG
  How many times can we vote? Drummerboy 6 1,828 03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Last Post: studyhard