Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Debate - Free College For All
FREE AS and BS from public universities may flood them.  FREE = little value!   Cali public university students can't get classes now to graduate in 4-years.   

Small private liberal arts colleges will go the way of the dodo bird. Rolleyes 

Ivy league may get more prestigious as the wealthy will want the branding even more.  Better yet, Ivy League getting out of the undergrad business and become the elite Higher-Higher Education (Masters, Executive Education, Ph.D., only) schools as the BS becomes the HS diploma.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Well, if anyone read the CBO's report yesterday, all of this "free" (taxpayer funded) stuff is going to go the way of the dodo bird anyway, as they're going to have to stop most programs, welfare, everything, and raise taxes, to pay for all of the "free" stuff we've given away in the past.  

"In 2019, the debt held by the public is projected to amount to 78 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product, compared with 35 percent in 2007. That number is set to increase to 92 percent by the end of next decade, as well as 144 percent by 2049, the report says."

So the point is moot.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Sapientes
(06-26-2019, 06:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Well, if anyone read the CBO's report yesterday, all of this "free" (taxpayer funded) stuff is going to go the way of the dodo bird anyway, as they're going to have to stop most programs, welfare, everything, and raise taxes, to pay for all of the "free" stuff we've given away in the past.  

"In 2019, the debt held by the public is projected to amount to 78 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product, compared with 35 percent in 2007. That number is set to increase to 92 percent by the end of next decade, as well as 144 percent by 2049, the report says."

So the point is moot.

Yes, it makes no sense that our deficit is growing while the economy is doing well. This usually happens during recessions and depressions when taxes are cut and spending goes up to stimulate the economy. The most recent tax cut did very little to improve an already health economy, and it increased our deficit. If Congress doesn't let the tax cuts expire (which they probably won't because it'd be politically unpopular), then that 144% number will increase to 219%!
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-26-2019, 07:15 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 06:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Well, if anyone read the CBO's report yesterday, all of this "free" (taxpayer funded) stuff is going to go the way of the dodo bird anyway, as they're going to have to stop most programs, welfare, everything, and raise taxes, to pay for all of the "free" stuff we've given away in the past.  

So the point is moot.

Yes, it makes no sense that our deficit is growing while the economy is doing well. This usually happens during recessions and depressions when taxes are cut and spending goes up to stimulate the economy. The most recent tax cut did very little to improve an already health economy, and it increased our deficit. If Congress doesn't let the tax cuts expire (which they probably won't because it'd be politically unpopular), then that 144% number will increase to 219%!

Everyone, even liberals, should be fiscal conservatives when it comes to spending.  If money is wasted on stupid stuff, and if we spend more than we take in, there's no money for the things that YOU think are important.  We can't help the downtrodden when we're drowning in debt, it's just a fact.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • Sapientes
(06-26-2019, 07:49 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 07:15 PM)sanantone Wrote:

So the point is moot.

Everyone, even liberals, should be fiscal conservatives when it comes to spending.  If money is wasted on stupid stuff, and if we spend more than we take in, there's no money for the things that YOU think are important.  We can't help the downtrodden when we're drowning in debt, it's just a fact.

I'm all for cutting wasteful military spending with the exception of the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard is the most important branch for homeland security and intercepting drugs, but they receive the least funding. Not too long ago, the current administration wanted to cut their funding even further. With the other branches, defense contractors are gouging taxpayers. At the state level, a lot of money could be saved by reducing the prison industrial complex and ending tax breaks for multi-billion dollar companies. State tax breaks are the reason why Netflix and Amazon paid $0 in taxes last year.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I am completely for cutting wasteful spending and I'm fairly liberal. I'm still not sure how education falls into that category. I don't really think that it should be free, but I do think it should be doable by someone who's willing to work their way through school and with the rising costs, that just isn't always the case depending on what you want to study.

Honestly, I would be happy to just go with a solid economic study that determines what our best interest is as a nation. China and India are catching up to us. Call me patriotic, but I'd like to keep enough education to keep our innovation going and I don't think that the old school "high school drop out makes it big" ideals will always work in a modern world driven by STEM products.

At the end of the day, all of us here do believe in some form of cheap education or we would not have arrived at this forum.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(06-27-2019, 08:38 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Call me patriotic, but I'd like to keep enough education to keep our innovation going and I don't think that the old school "high school drop out makes it big" ideals will always work in a modern world driven by STEM products.

It doesn't work because most of the Americans who drop out of high school do so because they come from unstable environments. They don't have the resources or knowledge to start and successfully run a business. We all know what the stats show. High school dropouts in the U.S. do poorly. When I was looking at the list of most successful dropouts, all but one of the modern ones were not from the U.S. Two out of three of the high school dropouts from the U.S. lived during the early 1900s. The one modern one got rich off of stealing music and violating copyright laws. 

It is possible to save a million dollars by the time you retire, but that's nothing special. A million dollars doesn't go very far these days, and it will be worth even less a few decades from now. One million dollars gives you $50k per year to live off of for 20 years or $33,333 per year to live off of for 30 years.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • burbuja0512, Life_One
(06-27-2019, 06:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 08:38 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Call me patriotic, but I'd like to keep enough education to keep our innovation going and I don't think that the old school "high school drop out makes it big" ideals will always work in a modern world driven by STEM products.

It doesn't work because most of the Americans who drop out of high school do so because they come from unstable environments. 

I am not sure about that.  New Mexico has the highest drop-out rate and weird Oregon the second highest drop out rate.  I think culture is huge.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Sapientes
(06-27-2019, 06:02 PM)sanantone Wrote: It is possible to save a million dollars by the time you retire, but that's nothing special. A million dollars doesn't go very far these days, and it will be worth even less a few decades from now. One million dollars gives you $50k per year to live off of for 20 years or $33,333 per year to live off of for 30 years.

Off the original info here, but this is not correct.  The S&P has averaged 10% over the last 100 years (and I've made more than that for the last 20 years on average).  Even if you were only earning 5% and pulling out 5% ($50k), you'll still never touch the principal.   If you have $1M in the stock market making somewhere in the 10-12% range annually, and pulling out 8% ($80k), you'll never run out of money and have a pretty good income.  The only way your scenario happens is if you don't have that money invested in ANYTHING, just sitting in a coffee can buried in your backyard.
  • Sapientes
(06-27-2019, 07:22 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 06:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:

It doesn't work because most of the Americans who drop out of high school do so because they come from unstable environments. 

I am not sure about that.  New Mexico has the highest drop-out rate and weird Oregon the second highest drop out rate.  I think culture is huge.

New Mexico is one of the poorest states with a high percentage of Native Americans. Native Americans have high rates of suicide, alcoholism, poverty, and domestic violence.

(06-27-2019, 09:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 06:02 PM)sanantone Wrote: It is possible to save a million dollars by the time you retire, but that's nothing special. A million dollars doesn't go very far these days, and it will be worth even less a few decades from now. One million dollars gives you $50k per year to live off of for 20 years or $33,333 per year to live off of for 30 years.

Off the original info here, but this is not correct.  The S&P has averaged 10% over the last 100 years (and I've made more than that for the last 20 years on average).  Even if you were only earning 5% and pulling out 5% ($50k), you'll still never touch the principal.   If you have $1M in the stock market making somewhere in the 10-12% range annually, and pulling out 8% ($80k), you'll never run out of money and have a pretty good income.  The only way your scenario happens is if you don't have that money invested in ANYTHING, just sitting in a coffee can buried in your backyard.

That's right if you continue to invest. Of course, one should invest conservatively while in retirement. 
Many retirements were delayed during the last recession because people lost upwards of 40% of their retirement 401ks.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
Video Uncle Tom Movie Now Free on YouTube LevelUP 5 1,239 07-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,741 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Free Pair of Prescription Glasses! Add-ons available... bjcheung77 7 1,231 05-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 697 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27