Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Importance of a GPA for grad school
Love this forum. thanks all. i'm no kid - graduated HS like 25 yrs ago. I've had a pretty successful career, without the degree, but just never felt satisfied w/myself. I want that degree to 'tic the box', as well as to feel the accomplishment. As for a Master's, it would really be 'gravy', but I felt like if i were to do it, I would want to do it with a name school. Not sure why, just feel that way. I was curious from some of you seasoned vets on here, if a Masters from TESU would carry as much 'weight' as say a Penn State Online or similar. Not that I want to spend $30k, but I was curious. I have a friend w/a Masters from U of Phoenix, and it has not helped him one bit. I was unsure if that was due to the school, or him. I know lots to consider - just looking for support, insight, and a sounding board. Thanks again all. 102 CR as of this a.m, 6 more classes/tests to go!!
DBRENNAN118 Wrote:Love this forum. thanks all. i'm no kid - graduated HS like 25 yrs ago. I've had a pretty successful career, without the degree, but just never felt satisfied w/myself. I want that degree to 'tic the box', as well as to feel the accomplishment. As for a Master's, it would really be 'gravy', but I felt like if i were to do it, I would want to do it with a name school. Not sure why, just feel that way. I was curious from some of you seasoned vets on here, if a Masters from TESU would carry as much 'weight' as say a Penn State Online or similar. Not that I want to spend $30k, but I was curious. I have a friend w/a Masters from U of Phoenix, and it has not helped him one bit. I was unsure if that was due to the school, or him. I know lots to consider - just looking for support, insight, and a sounding board. Thanks again all. 102 CR as of this a.m, 6 more classes/tests to go!!

It really depends on what environment you are using the masters in. Much of the government it is just a 'tic in the box' while others such as engineering it matters. I feel the same way you do regarding degrees. I recently received my BA in Liberal Arts from TESU and just got accepted into a Penn State MS program.

Congrats...you are almost there!
The utility of a TESU master's degree will be the same as a degree from any other no-name, state school. It won't have the stigma of a degree from University of Phoenix, but it also won't have the name recognition of Penn State.

I got into a master's program with a degree from TESC without having a TESC GPA, but I had graded credits from other colleges/universities, so I'm not going to tell you that it's easy to get into many different graduate programs without any graded credits based on my experience with having graded credits. I really think you should hear from someone who completely tested out (including ACE/NCCRS courses) of a degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Hope to hear back on that, but I will also do my own research - I will let everyone know what I find out.
DBRENNAN118 Wrote:Love this forum. thanks all. i'm no kid - graduated HS like 25 yrs ago. I've had a pretty successful career, without the degree, but just never felt satisfied w/myself. I want that degree to 'tic the box', as well as to feel the accomplishment. As for a Master's, it would really be 'gravy', but I felt like if i were to do it, I would want to do it with a name school. Not sure why, just feel that way. I was curious from some of you seasoned vets on here, if a Masters from TESU would carry as much 'weight' as say a Penn State Online or similar. Not that I want to spend $30k, but I was curious. I have a friend w/a Masters from U of Phoenix, and it has not helped him one bit. I was unsure if that was due to the school, or him. I know lots to consider - just looking for support, insight, and a sounding board. Thanks again all. 102 CR as of this a.m, 6 more classes/tests to go!!

You could consider Harvard University's extension option. I started a master's degree with them but switched to a more job-applicable one. That said, a master's through Harvard Extension can be had for about $25k and it is open enrollment for your first 3 classes. If you pass, you're in. Test out or not- makes not difference. Harvard Division of Continuing Education
cookderosa Wrote:You could consider Harvard University's extension option. I started a master's degree with them but switched to a more job-applicable one. That said, a master's through Harvard Extension can be had for about $25k and it is open enrollment for your first 3 classes. If you pass, you're in. Test out or not- makes not difference. Harvard Division of Continuing Education

Will definitely look into that! Thanks
These are all good inputs. I still wish someone who only tested out could weigh in with their experiences.
inkleind Wrote:These are all good inputs. I still wish someone who only tested out could weigh in with their experiences.

Me too. Maybe I'll be the first! I should make June graduation, so will look to apply in the fall.
any updates to this?
I'm working my way towards it but would still love to hear from someone who completely tested out on their success of getting in to a masters program without a GPA...
inkleind Wrote:any updates to this?
I'm working my way towards it but would still love to hear from someone who completely tested out on their success of getting in to a masters program without a GPA...

I'm planning on going to UAlbany after my TESU Degree. On the site UAlbany doesn't say anything about a GPA requirement. I will have a GPA from my HVCC transcript but not TESU. Right now I'm not worried about it for my goal. However you should look into where you want to go for your masters and see what they require in terms of a GPA. I have to take the GMAT and have a teacher write a recommendation. I know people get accepted all the time into Master's Programs after testing out at TESU. But once again look into your choice of Masters Program first.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 182 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,315 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,043 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,087 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,773 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,319 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,496 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,431 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,656 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,096 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina