Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Open University - Liberal Arts degree (only £6,192 GBP! fully online)
(01-05-2021, 07:18 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 06:53 PM)freeloader Wrote: It’s a neat option and may be a good fit for some people. That said, this way of working an Open degree means you are still earning 1/3 of a degree directly from the degree-granting university in a traditional, albeit online way.  

Most US bachelor’s degrees are 120-128 semester hours. There are plenty of universities in the US that will let you transfer in 80 hours (or more) and complete the last 40 (or less) with them.

I also suspect many American employers might look down on an applicant with a foreign, online degree from something called “the Open University”, never mind the quality of instruction.

Open University has been around forever, is highly respected, and is the largest university in the UK. It's also regionally accredited in the US. 

And not for nothing, but it sounds a whole lot better than "University of the People" on one's résumé. Might as well just say you graduated from The School of Hard Knocks.

1. Open University admitted its first student in 1971. Not exactly “forever”. 

2. The University of Phoenix was for many years (and may still be) the largest university, by enrollment, in the United States. Size does not automatically mean quality. 

3. If you actually read my post, you would see that I said “never mind  the quality of instruction”. Open is a fine school.  Please don’t say that someone it being critical when they are not. 

4. My post was about perception.  A quick web search will reveal hundreds of articles about the perceptions and biases of hiring managers. Most are familiar elite universities and a surprisingly small number of universities in their geographical area. It is probably safe to assume that most hiring managers in the United States will have heard of Oxford and Cambridge, perhaps universities like St Andrews and some of the more prominent institutions in (or formerly in) the University of London, like Imperial, LSE, or UCL.  Realistically, they will not know the difference between Manchester and Westminster.  “Open” education in the United States basically means community college. I would not want to have that perception associated with my degree. And I didn’t say that you should go to the University of the People rather than Open. Again, please don’t put words into people’s mouths.  Which will play better with a hiring manager, assuming they know nothing about the schools (and don’t have the time or interest to educate themselves), a degree from a branch campus of a state’s flagship university (like UMPI), a regional state university/public college (like TESU or COSC), or a foreign university that the hiring manager will likely think is a glorified community college?
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(01-05-2021, 08:27 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 06:53 PM)freeloader Wrote: It’s a neat option and may be a good fit for some people. That said, this way of working an Open degree means you are still earning 1/3 of a degree directly from the degree-granting university in a traditional, albeit online way.  

Most US bachelor’s degrees are 120-128 semester hours. There are plenty of universities in the US that will let you transfer in 80 hours (or more) and complete the last 40 (or less) with them.

I also suspect many American employers might look down on an applicant with a foreign, online degree from something called “the Open University”, never mind the quality of instruction.

Open University has been around forever, is highly respected, and is the largest university in the UK. It's also regionally accredited in the US. 

And not for nothing, but it sounds a whole lot better than "University of the People" on one's résumé. Might as well just say you graduated from The School of Hard Knocks.

1. Open University admitted its first student in 1971. Not exactly “forever”. 

2. The University of Phoenix was for many years (and may still be) the largest university, by enrollment, in the United States. Size does not automatically mean quality. 

3. If you actually read my post, you would see that I said “never mind  the quality of instruction”. Open is a fine school.  Please don’t say that someone it being critical when they are not. 

4. My post was about perception.  A quick web search will reveal hundreds of articles about the perceptions and biases of hiring managers. Most are familiar elite universities and a surprisingly small number of universities in their geographical area. It is probably safe to assume that most hiring managers in the United States will have heard of Oxford and Cambridge, perhaps universities like St Andrews and some of the more prominent institutions in (or formerly in) the University of London, like Imperial, LSE, or UCL.  Realistically, they will not know the difference between Manchester and Westminster.  “Open” education in the United States basically means community college. I would not want to have that perception associated with my degree. And I didn’t say that you should go to the University of the People rather than Open. Again, please don’t put words into people’s mouths.  Which will play better with a hiring manager, assuming they know nothing about the schools (and don’t have the time or interest to educate themselves), a degree from a branch campus of a state’s flagship university (like UMPI), a regional state university/public college (like TESU or COSC), or a foreign university that the hiring manager will likely think is a glorified community college?

I think 50 years is a fair amount of time to exist. And just because you assume hiring managers only know elite institutions doesn't mean it's true. In my personal opinion, hiring managers would think Charter Oak State College is a glorified community college and Thomas Edison State University is on par with University of Phoenix. I'd also think no one who doesn't read this board has even heard of TESU or COSC. I could be wrong. Which is why I don't present my opinion as fact, or say it's "safe to assume" everyone shares my perception. It's just that... my perception.

Anyway, I've spent enough time defending a long-respected university against baseless assumptions. There are more and better higher education institutions in the world than those popular on this board. And I don't mean the ones that give out Groupons.
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • ss20ts
(01-05-2021, 09:30 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 08:27 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 06:53 PM)freeloader Wrote: I also suspect many American employers might look down on an applicant with a foreign, online degree from something called “the Open University”, never mind the quality of instruction.

I think 50 years is a fair amount of time to exist. And just because you assume hiring managers only know elite institutions doesn't mean it's true. In my personal opinion, hiring managers would think Charter Oak State College is a glorified community college and Thomas Edison State University is on par with University of Phoenix. I'd also think no one who doesn't read this board has even heard of TESU or COSC. I could be wrong. Which is why I don't present my opinion as fact, or say it's "safe to assume" everyone shares my perception. It's just that... my perception.

Anyway, I've spent enough time defending a long-respected university against baseless assumptions. There are more and better higher education institutions in the world than those popular on this board. And I don't mean the ones that give out Groupons.

So, hiring managers, like everyone else, will never have heard of most colleges in the US.  They will go to the website to see if it's accredited, MAYBE check to see if it's RA (some don't even know the difference between NA and RA), and that will be it.  There will be no judgement in most cases, because they either don't know, don't care, or both.  Companies in general just don't care where you went to school - and many don't even care what your degree is in.

Most people just don't know many schools.  There are 4,000+ in the US, and so there's no way to know most.  People know a few local schools, some big name schools, and that's about it.  When I lived in CA, there were 23 CSU schools and 9 UC schools.  Nobody could actually name them all.  I didn't even know one existed until a friend asked me about it (well there's a CSU Channel Islands! Who knew?!?). I'll bet a hiring manager in San Diego could probably list 5 public universities in CA.  San Diego State, CSU San Marcos, UCLA, UC Davis, UC Berkeley...and then maybe a few privates like Point Loma, Univ of San Diego, and USC.  Stanford.  If you asked them to name the state/university schools in nearby states, you'd get some blank stares (MAYBE UNLV if they are basketball fans - maybe.  Probably Arizona State.).  The point is, you'll know some, but not many, and even then it's a crapshoot ("oh, you went to Sac State - my best friend went there!" - things like that).

In general you should go to a local school if possible (although once you move, it's game over), a big-name school, or a no-name school, because you either want them to know the school, or you don't - either is fine.  What you don't want is a school with a bad rep.  But other than that, in most industries, it just does not matter.

I graduated from TESU.  I've applied for jobs, gone on interviews, and exactly nobody has asked me about the school. Zero.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I asked a question to The Open University guys if they'll accept any random ECTS credits.

The Open University guys confirmed it:

"The most amount of credits we can award towards this qualification is 240 out of 360 (120 out of 180 ECTS). The study can be from any subject and we accept students from around the world and although we have a different credit system, they are the same as ECTS credits.

For more information, please visit the credit transfer website:
http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/
"

So, you can try to transfer in all XAMK credits plus maybe US credits from community colleges, self-paced learning, etc.
This looks like a possible plan. Smile

This can be your back up degree plan... i.e. somehow you move to Europe, and you may need a well-known EU qualification.

or you can try to get two degrees at the same time. The Open degree will accept US credits as well. So, you can transfer all of your US credits and get this degree along with your US degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • Pikachu
Open University may be located in the UK (also worldwide well known/respected), but they are one of the few international universities that are RA - https://www.msche.org/institution/9158/

I would not consider them in the class of the Big3 - affordable yes, but they are a more traditional online/distance; where the Big3 offer high numbers of Alt Credit sources transfer in - allowing for expedited completion. I'll add that they do offer a number of interesting master options.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 4 users Like allvia's post:
  • nomaduser, Pikachu, rachel83az, ss20ts
Open University UK, the science and technology department is quite respectable. It is quite common to see an offer for PhD in Oxbridge if you finish your bachelor's in The OU UK.
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
(01-06-2021, 12:37 AM)nomaduser Wrote: I asked a question to The Open University guys if they'll accept any random ECTS credits.

"The most amount of credits we can award towards this qualification is 240 out of 360 (120 out of 180 ECTS). The study can be from any subject and we accept students from around the world and although we have a different credit system, they are the same as ECTS credits.

"

So, you can try to transfer in all XAMK credits plus maybe US credits from community colleges, self-paced learning, etc.

This can be your back up degree plan... i.e. somehow you move to Europe, and you may need a well-known EU qualification.

or you can try to get two degrees at the same time. The Open degree will accept US credits as well. So, you can transfer all of your US credits and get this degree along with your US degree.

I have already 120 ects.....
But in my country open university is six years for a bachelor and transfer only 30 credits.
I will take a look at the UK site.
Not sure what a faster route is.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
(01-07-2021, 09:25 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 12:37 AM)nomaduser Wrote: I asked a question to The Open University guys if they'll accept any random ECTS credits.

"

I have already 120 ects.....
But in my country open university is six years for a bachelor and transfer only 30 credits.
I will take a look at the UK site.
Not sure what a faster route is.

You're misunderstanding this thread.

A lot of distance learning universities around the world use 'Open University' title. But they're not the same universities.

The one I'm talking about is The Open University (UK) and they don't operate outside of UK.

If you transfer 120 ECTS to The Open University (UK), you can finish their degree in only one year.
Yes i understand now. But im looking for a bals and dont see this in their program. When youre looking at a business administration degree it is a good solution.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
(01-07-2021, 01:24 PM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: Yes i understand now. But im looking for a bals and dont see this in their program. When youre looking at a business administration degree it is a good solution.

Their Open degree is BALS.... 'Open Degree' means you can take whatever you want in any subject just like liberal studies degree.

www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/qd#course-details

This program will accept up to 120 random ECTS credits

So if you already have 120 ECTS, you can transfer all of your credits to The Open University (UK) and take the remaining 60 ECTS for 6,000 GBP.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 246 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 55 9,332 03-17-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 272 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 1,049 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,088 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,690 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,505 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 654 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 353 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 762 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77