Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Secret
Has anyone heard of this? I heard it was an excellent film on realizing your inner strength and how your thoughts determine your future. Something along the lines of "Think and Grow Rich" and other great motivational speeches. I am very curious about it and wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this? Just Curious...
TESC BA Social Sciences (Completed Feb 09)
Up next: Masters In Education/Adult Education and Training
25 Fema Credits -done Big Grin
Cleps taken:
Human Growth & Dev - passed
Intro to Ed Psych - passed
Sociology - passed
Analyz & Int Lit-passed
English w/essay-passed
Princ of Acct-passed Smile
Organizational Behavior-passed
Intro to Computing-passed
Ethics in America DSST-passed
Intro to World Religions-passed
Technical Writing-passed
Anthropology-passed
Social Science & History-passed
Humanities-passed:eek:
Substance Abuse-passed
Civil War and Reconstruction-passed :eek:
Psychology of Women TECEP- passed
Did not see the movie. Believe I read the book a few years ago. New Age genre, if I am thinking of the right book. As with most of these type books your ultimate self-realization results in you becoming monatarily wealthy.

One interesting point the book makes is that virtually everyone is asleep, going through their entire life in this state. Only a very few are awake. The secret is when you realize this it can be life changing. You can watch the movie 'Joe and the Volcano' with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. Most people don't see it,but that was the whole message in that movie.

Do I personally believe any of it. Not really into the ultimate purpose of life is to accumulate money or material things to be happy. The concept of most people going through life asleep. That I agree with; look at some of the silly things we attach importance to, that have no value or meaning whatsoever.

If you have ever seen the 70's show. When the whole gang is sitting in a circle in Eric's basement getting high. Then this would be the type of conversation they might have.

BGN
great movie in my opinion!
Ronin Smile
[COLOR="Blue"]

What's left:

Excelsior Ethics exam

BSB Excelsior College Cool

[/COLOR]
BGN Wrote:Did not see the movie. Believe I read the book a few years ago. New Age genre, if I am thinking of the right book. As with most of these type books your ultimate self-realization results in you becoming monatarily wealthy.

One interesting point the book makes is that virtually everyone is asleep, going through their entire life in this state. BGN

Hi BGN,

I'm not sure what book you read, but I have a feeling that it was not "The Secret (which I believe only came out in November 2006). I haven't read the book, but I HAVE seen the movie and thought it was excellent, despite the corny part at the beginning and the fact that they even call it "The Secret".

What the "secret" is is what they call "the law of attraction"...how what you focus on and think about has a HUGE effect on your life. It is definitely another spin on the "power of positive thinking" (which I absolutely believe in), and I personally think the movie is worth watching. In fact, I know of several people who really felt their lives were changed as a result of what the movie taught them.

I got my copy of the DVD through a seller on eBay (much cheaper than buying through their website), and I believe you can rent the movie as well.

Hope that helps.
JoAnne
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
Interesting feedback. Thanks everyone. Me and my husband are going to watch it. I love books like this, so I am sure I will like the movie. There are over 600 reviews on amazon which are good overall. Everyone needs a reality check every now and then.
Cleps taken:
Sociology - passed
Analyz & Int Lit-passed
English w/essay-passed
Technical Writing-passed
Anthropology-passed
Substance Abuse-passed
Haven't seen the movie or read the book, but I caution you to compare anything said by John Gray with your own common sense.

Just so you know, Inside Edition did an investigative piece on John Gray in late 2003. His doctorate was obtained from Columbia Pacific University. CPU was an unaccredited school located in California in the late 70s and into the 90s. While CPU had state-approval, it is widely accepted opinion that just about any diploma mill could have received state approval during most of those years. During 20 years of operation, CPU never obtained accreditation by any accreditor accepted by the DOE.

To go back even further, John Gray received his BA and MA from Maharishi European Research University in Switzerland. As far as I know, the school was shut down in Switzerland, however, it was recreated in Fairfield, IA as the Maharishi University of Management. From my understanding, the local populace has a very low opinion of the school.

Dr. John Hagelin, on the other hand, does have legitimate degrees. He has an MA and Ph.D from Harvard. He was a contributing scientist on many articles on quantum physics string theory. However, contrary to what he might say, he was not the originator of the theory. Also, many of the scientists associated with string theory are now distancing themselves from him because of his theories linking transcendental mediation and the Maharishi's teachings to quantum physics.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Everyone at my work raves about this. As near as I can tell, it is just the same-old common sense message: FAITH and a good additude. I think you can accomplish just about anything with these two things, but it's definitely NOT an origional idea; certainly not an idea that is worth me spending $30 on.

For some people, however, it is probably extremely useful. I believe that the "law of attraction" is real--very much the same as faith. Some people may need to hear it in a "New Age" sort of way in order to get it into their heads. In that case, it may be very good for those people.
[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Traditional Credits: 95
Test Credits: 33
Time Saved: 1 1/2 years![/COLOR][/SIZE]
CLEP Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, Introductory Psychology, ECE Human Resource management, ECE Organizational Behavior, Intro to Business, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Money and Banking, Business Law II
[SIZE="6"]DONE![/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"]
B.S. Individualized Studies, COSC[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
I enjoyed the movie, I also purchased the audio book. My favorite part from the movie is that thoughts become things - Mike Dooley

Give it a try.

~Scott
Well i deal with some very negative people on a daily basis, and i think i may need to slip them a copy on their desk. You guys wouldn't believe what I go through. A matter of fact that's how I found out. I was telling a friend of mine about this lady I work with, and he told me I should get her "the secret".
Cleps taken:
Sociology - passed
Analyz & Int Lit-passed
English w/essay-passed
Technical Writing-passed
Anthropology-passed
Substance Abuse-passed
Anybody who uses these boards already knows the secret. Tell someone you can test out of college cheaply and quickly and they will tell you all the negative stuff they heard about it and how it can't be done. Let them wallow in self pity, I am going to finish another test, another degree and nod my head up and down when they the secret dosn't work. Fact is they just don't know how to use it.hilarious