Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of online education~~great info-please read
I found this and just had to share it...really great partnerships as well.

University of the People
And how does it pay for itself.....10 years out, 5 years, next month?

At least Saylor.org has a big daddy money pants to pay the power bill and pay the teachers. Smile

I didn't spend much time over there....but what is it you think they bring to the table? I missed anything interesting.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
They are in the process of applying for accreditation and NYU has a deal with them to accept students....Did you read the about us section? The point is a trend towards possible free or truly low cost options in the future whichh will really disrupt the traditional route.

Saylor is a great option, just not accredited yet, but I do see that happening in the future. Whether it is this or Saylor, or some other non-traditional route the fact is college as we know it is changing and for the better.
So you can go from free to one of the priciest Universities in the country...and that's gonna change education as we know it?

A quote from your link: "High performing students who have studied for at least one year at UoPeople and meet the standards of admission will be eligible to apply for admission to NYU Abu Dhabi. Successful applicants who qualified would also be eligible for financial aid to help enable them to attend. Gaining admission to NYU Abu Dhabi is highly competitive: This year, NYU Abu Dhabi received 5,854 applications, and extended 196 offers of admission – an acceptance rate of 3.3 percent."

This only says if you do really well in a years free study you can APPLY to NYU. It then goes on to set the expectation...they have an acceptance rate of 3.3%. If we are going to turn education as we know it on its head why "partner" with anyone...especially one of the most elite schools in the country (actually it doesn't even look like the actual NYU...its the NYU middle eastern branch) This anything but a free ride to college. I think they are pimping the NYU brand to convince you of legitimacy.

Do you really think NYU would ever do anything to disrupt their market position...or indeed, the market itself? How do you then pay the Professors, the support staff, the textbook companies? I agree that changes are coming...the internet changed the paradigm....but I really doubt the University of the People is gonna be that game changer.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Here's the thing with U of P, They aren't accredited still waiting after two years for that, You do the course traditionally mostly online and pay $100 to take an un-credited test which adds towards your degree. They want all your transcripts from every other school as normal and may probably be an alternative route in the future but right now the CLEP and DANTES route are much safer bets. Its great for an education if you live in the third world so that you can learn how to accomplish tasks in business and management or computers (those were the courses two years ago) that you mightn't have the cash to pay for if you lived in Egypt or some other place with limited income.

Since they drop the tuition if you live in the third world. I thought about it for a while of taking the classes and then taking the CLEPs with the knowledge I'd gained but decided it was better to buy the REA books and get some help from my friends hereSmile
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
martialartist Wrote:I found this and just had to share it...really great partnerships as well.

University of the People

Don't be misguided by the title. A visit to their FAQ shows that if they gain accreditation it will be NA not RA. At present, they still require $100 per course that won't transfer, and you still have to pay $50 to apply!? The partnerships mean nothing, they are not articulation agreements and this isn't a method of laundering credit. At this point, I'd rank this well UNDER the Saylor model, because Saylor is offering "real" tuition free learning. Spend your $ at University of the People and it goes no where. You can't even get this credit on an ACE transcript let alone into one of the big 3, because even after (if) they gain accreditation, it won't transfer. I give it two thumbs down.

Saylor ($0) --> CLEP ($80) = 3 credits accepted at >2900 RA Colleges
University of the People ($100) = 0 credit
Clearly you are missing the point...The point is if it is accepted by well established institutions that certainly will provide more legitimacy. These are baby steps but the trend suggest that future learning avenues will be different and organization such as Saylor or others will force these old guards to adjust. Think big picture, you are contemplating the here and now, however, I am looking at the trends. No organization will give up their position, however, they will be force to adapt or go extinct, will it happen tomm, no, but it will happen.

My post was not intended to create a cantankerous situation... I was simply pointing out the fact that options that was not available to me 30 years in college is available now. When I was in college in the 80's none of these options were avaialble.

Btw there are a few fully accredited colleges that offer almost free tuition, Olin College is one that comes to mind. I shall extricate myself from this discussion as it is digressing from what was intended.
Fair Point, my comments are directed mainly to those who like me have seen tons of Google ads from U Of the People and directing them to currently more suitable degree completion methods. The lower cost options will put pressure on big Colleges to lower tuition. (the faculty at U of P comes from a lot of those same schools or at least did when I first discovered this forum) The College board CLEP survey today inquired as to if I was homeschooled or not after completing the CLEP which means Jennifer's book must be having an impact too!
martialartist Wrote:Clearly you are missing the point...The point is if it is accepted by well established institutions that certainly will provide more legitimacy. These are baby steps but the trend suggest that future learning avenues will be different and organization such as Saylor or others will force these old guards to adjust. Think big picture, you are contemplating the here and now, however, I am looking at the trends. No organization will give up their position, however, they will be force to adapt or go extinct, will it happen tomm, no, but it will happen.

My post was not intended to create a cantankerous situation... I was simply pointing out the fact that options that was not available to me 30 years in college is available now. When I was in college in the 80's none of these options were avaialble.

Btw there are a few fully accredited colleges that offer almost free tuition, Olin College is one that comes to mind. I shall extricate myself from this discussion as it is digressing from what was intended.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
Free College Tuition is actually not a new idea.

Here is a list of 12 colleges in the US who are completely tuition free for their students.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
martialartist Wrote:Clearly you are missing the point...The point is if it is accepted by well established institutions that certainly will provide more legitimacy. These are baby steps but the trend suggest that future learning avenues will be different and organization such as Saylor or others will force these old guards to adjust. Think big picture, you are contemplating the here and now, however, I am looking at the trends. No organization will give up their position, however, they will be force to adapt or go extinct, will it happen tomm, no, but it will happen.

I disagree, I'm not missing the point. I gave my full attention to the site, read it very carefully. My post is an accurate reflection of my opinion. The old guards may well adjust at some point in time, or, distance learning may have crappy outcomes and universities fade it out. We don't know what trends will unfold in 10, 15, 20 years. College certainly differs today than it did when I graduated high school in 1988, and I'm certain that it wasn't predicted perfectly by anyone. So, you and I agree that the landscape is changing, and "I" believe that the trend is TOWARDS access as well. But, we are just speculating.

Also, I'm not fighting, I thought we were discussing. If I've upset you, that wasn't my intent. I thought we were looking at the merits of the link you posted, nothing personal- seriously. Sometimes posts here may get chewed up in a few minutes, and that might feel personal, but really it is just to be sure no myths, assumptions, and misunderstandings ensue. I don't want someone plunking down $150 and then wondering why TESC won't accept their credit. I realize it isn't my job to myth-bust, but there are a handful of people on this board for whom this is a bit of a hobby, so take my comments in the vein they were intended.cheersmate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 263 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,146 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 208 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 151 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,455 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 598 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,610 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 350 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 367 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn