Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The official ALEKS mourning thread
Collegelady2 Wrote:They've extended? I was thinking about getting my butt in gear this week

Yes, good through June 30th at this point. I don't think anyone is sure of what the future holds.

Interestingly enough, I received an email from them this week announcing that they've released a new system. I'm no longer a member, so I don't know what the new system looks like or has content wise; however, if they significantly re-vamped everything, they may be waiting for more permanent ACE approval based on the new system. If it's all just cosmetic/interface changes, I doubt that has any bearing, other than maybe they were too busy working on that to put effort into the renewal process. The email seems to indicate that most of the improvements are on the cosmetic/interface side, but I can't say for sure.

This is all just speculation/guessing on my part, the truth could be something else entirely.

Here's what the email said:
Quote:The New and Improved ALEKS Is Here!

As an ALEKS alumni, you've experienced the value of our personalized learning courses and adaptive assessments. Now it's even better! We've upgraded our student module just in time for the start of summer. Check out the latest enhancements and give your learning plan a boost this summer.

Many new benefits are part of this upgrade, including:

Modern interface and graphics
Video and interactive learning resources
Improved progress monitoring and reporting
More control of learning activities and assessments

Collegelady2 Wrote:What's considered easy and or hard

(What I am about to say is predicated on 1. You being new to ALEKS and 2. The changes to the system not significantly modifying the way ALEKS "works.")

Well I suppose that's relative, but you'll find out soon enough when working through the pie. You can click on a topic, start working on it and then return to the pie to try something else without penalty if it starts irritating you (the topic will still be there later for you to work on.) The problem with this is that everything is interdependent, so you have to complete certain topics in order to have access to others. You can blow out a bunch of easy topics and then have to work through a few difficult ones in order to access more easy stuff.

For the love of all that is holy - please, please study for the initial assessment before taking it. Do not, under any circumstances click "I don't know." I pretty much goofed around on my first one, thinking I would just work my way to 70% and it would be all sunshine and rainbows - NOT. There is a way to reset a bad initial assessment (by enrolling in a new course, then switching back to the one you were on) but I wasn't aware of this at the time.
"More control of learning activities and assessments"

and there it is.......
cookderosa Wrote:"More control of learning activities and assessments"

and there it is.......

Yeah, I don't really know what that means. I know that at first blush a lot of people are going to interpret it as allowing for proctored activities, but in my mind it could just allow for more control on the administrator side.

Here is a walk-through video.

Someone with an active account needs to check it out thoroughly and report back.
aviator guy Wrote:Yeah, I don't really know what that means. I know that at first blush a lot of people are going to interpret it as allowing for proctored activities, but in my mind it could just allow for more control on the administrator side.

Here is a walk-through video.

Someone with an active account needs to check it out thoroughly and report back.

I'm running through it for a month (finished up 12cr already, working on PreCalculus now) and was switched in the middle.

It doesn't appear that there are any options for proctoring or the like, it just seems like a more granular approach than what I saw on my first day. It's much smoother (a master can prescribe specific learning assignments and, I think, specify which topics go into assessments), but nothing ground-shaking
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Newer software but no change from proctoring point of view. I 'm hoping they will extend again at the end of the month.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
cookderosa Wrote:"More control of learning activities and assessments"

and there it is.......

One thing I will tell you is that I can'd seem to "force" a new initial assessment like before. You used to be able to switch to a new class and then switch back and it would trigger a new initial assessment. Now all it does is return you right back to where you were to keep on working the pie. My daughter is at 63% but it's likely she won't get much past that because she has some dyscalculia. I guess I will just have her keep on working that pie.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
originalamyj Wrote:One thing I will tell you is that I can'd seem to "force" a new initial assessment like before. You used to be able to switch to a new class and then switch back and it would trigger a new initial assessment. Now all it does is return you right back to where you were to keep on working the pie. My daughter is at 63% but it's likely she won't get much past that because she has some dyscalculia. I guess I will just have her keep on working that pie.

Here are the steps:
--Login to your master account
--Select her as a student
--Click "Progress Report" which appears in the second column.
--Look for the link at the bottom of the page under MORE OPTIONS that says, "Request a New Knowledge Check"
n2yoga Wrote:Here are the steps:
--Login to your master account
--Select her as a student
--Click "Progress Report" which appears in the second column.
--Look for the link at the bottom of the page under MORE OPTIONS that says, "Request a New Knowledge Check"

Can confirm. This is how you trigger a new Knowledge Check. I kept triggering a new one on my stats class to get passed a 70. If you make say a 60 on a check, the additional 10 points toward pie completion do not count as 70. You MUST take a knowledge check and pass with 70+ to earn ACE credit. I learned the hard way. I had roughly a 55 and made another 30 points on the pie, and tried to submit credits. I got an email back saying I needed a 70+ on a knowledge check. Passed it after two attempts. Stats is an SOB.
Other than a tiny bit of wiggle room - you generally can't advance your grade on knowledge checks. You advance by completing topics on the pie chart. You confirm this score with knowledge checks. If you get 100% on a knowledge check, it will just confirm the grade on your pie chart. Endlessly triggering knowledge checks will lead to endless frustration but little advancement.
Old Guy Wrote:Other than a tiny bit of wiggle room - you generally can't advance your grade on knowledge checks. You advance by completing topics on the pie chart. You confirm this score with knowledge checks. If you get 100% on a knowledge check, it will just confirm the grade on your pie chart. Endlessly triggering knowledge checks will lead to endless frustration but little advancement.

Correct. You need a new Initial Assessment to attempt to jump in to the class at the highest possible percentage. The work-around was removed. However today I did email and request a new one. They replied that they cleared my daughter's account which will trigger a new Initial Assessment. I only did this because I am hopeful that after a lot of work she will be able to jump in at 70% or above, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,061 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,067 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  The official guide to Coursera certificates & specializations rachel83az 14 11,511 11-20-2023, 09:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,365 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  HappyPeanut - Progress Thread HappyPeanut 33 2,070 11-10-2022, 01:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  ALEKS GLMRGIRL717 2 634 08-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Still time for ALEKS credit? MDW2447 14 3,075 09-10-2021, 03:55 AM
Last Post: echo64
  ALEKS Badges via Acclaim Toastmaster 6 1,367 01-13-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kab
  How to get ALEKS badge added to Acclaim ashkir 0 1,036 12-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  ALEKS is expiring. gams007 9 1,972 11-13-2020, 07:49 PM