Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real Father of the Big 3
The real Father of the Big 3 is....................

Ewald B. Nyquist, a former New York State Education Commissioner from 1970 to 1977 

Another of Mr. Nyquist's proposals, to award adults credit toward college degrees for knowledge they have acquired outside academic life, also gained widespread acceptance. Now known in New York as the Regents External Degree Program, the proposal became a major force in nontraditional education throughout the country. 
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/25/obitua...state.html

1971 Excelsior College (USNY)
1972 TESU
1973 COSC
All three founded within years of each other.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 5 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • cookderosa, DIGI-212, Ideas, ShotoJuku, Toastmaster
Excelsior College was founded in 1971 by the New York State Board of Regents as its external degree program, known as The Regents External Degree Program (REX).

Known as Regents College from 1984 until 1998, it operated as a program of the Board of Regents (which also served as its board of trustees).

In April 1998, the Board of Regents granted the school an absolute charter to operate as a private, nonprofit, independent institution. On January 1, 2001, Regents College, required to change its name under the terms of the separation, became Excelsior College (Excelsior means "ever upward" in Latin; it is also the motto of New York).
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
[-] The following 1 user Likes ShotoJuku's post:
  • High_Order1
(09-06-2017, 04:38 AM)ShotoJuku Wrote: Excelsior College was founded in 1971 by the New York State Board of Regents as its external degree program, known as The Regents External Degree Program (REX).

Known as Regents College from 1984 until 1998, it operated as a program of the Board of Regents (which also served as its board of trustees).

In April 1998, the Board of Regents granted the school an absolute charter to operate as a private, nonprofit, independent institution. On January 1, 2001, Regents College, required to change its name under the terms of the separation, became Excelsior College (Excelsior means "ever upward" in Latin; it is also the motto of New York).

Known as "The University of the State of New York (aka USNY)" from 1971 until 1987+

Official degrees and official transcripts as late as 1987 all said The University of the State of New York.   

The Regents College name was not was still not used.  That would come later.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Toastmaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University...ts_College

The University of the State of New York (USNY, /ˈjuːzniː/) is the state of New York's governmental umbrella organization for both public and private institutions in New York State. The "university" is not an educational institution: it is, in fact, a licensing and accreditation body that sets standards for schools operating in New York State, from pre-kindergarten through professional and graduate school, as well as for the practice of a wide variety of professions. The group of people who make decisions about and for USNY is known as the New York State Board of Regents. USNY should not be, though often is, confused with the State University of New York.

A key former initiative of the Board of Regents, created to better bring higher education to New York State's nontraditional adult learners, was the Board of Regents' Regents External Degree Program, or REX, which became Regents College in 1984 and then the separate and independent Excelsior College in 1998–2001. This program was an outgrowth of the practice of giving World War II veterans school and college credit in recognition of their military education and experience. In 1963 the Regents introduced College Proficiency Examinations, now called Excelsior College Examinations (ECEs), initially to help teachers and nurses complete educational requirements. First named the "Regents External Degree Program," it was established in 1971 with financial support from the Ford and Carnegie Foundations. Degrees could be granted based on a combination of college proficiency exams and classroom and correspondence courses, or on a variety of exams alone. The first degrees were conferred in 1972. This program became independent of the Education Department in 1991 but continued to be governed by the Board of Regents until 1998 when it fully separated from the Board of Regents to become a private, independent college. The school, prohibited by the terms of its "independence" agreement from continuing to use the name Regents College, adopted the name Excelsior College in 2001. Excelsior College is now a constituent member of USNY in the same way, and only the same way, that other colleges and universities in New York State are. Like them, it has its own charter and Board of Trustees.

It was always called Regents College when I "attended" back in the 80's. I had never heard the term "University of the State of New York" until I received my diploma. Why they chose to do it that way is beyond my pay grade, but it is what it is.
USNY Regents College - BS Liberal Arts (Concentration in Sociology) 1987
[-] The following 1 user Likes KenJ's post:
  • Toastmaster
I could be wrong, but didn't all the public, New York Schools have "University of the State of New York" in their names?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-08-2017, 09:26 AM)sanantone Wrote: I could be wrong, but didn't all the public, New York Schools have "University of the State of New York" in their names?

The state academic institution is "State University of New York" or SUNY.

USNY basically governs just about all academic programs from prekindergarten to graduate programs, and the licensing of many professions.
(09-08-2017, 07:51 AM)KenJ Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University...ts_College

The University of the State of New York (USNY, /ˈjuːzniː/) is the state of New York's governmental umbrella organization for both public and private institutions in New York State. The "university" is not an educational institution: it is, in fact, a licensing and accreditation body that sets standards for schools operating in New York State, from pre-kindergarten through professional and graduate school, as well as for the practice of a wide variety of professions. The group of people who make decisions about and for USNY is known as the New York State Board of Regents. USNY should not be, though often is, confused with the State University of New York.

A key former initiative of the Board of Regents, created to better bring higher education to New York State's nontraditional adult learners, was the Board of Regents' Regents External Degree Program, or REX, which became Regents College in 1984 and then the separate and independent Excelsior College in 1998–2001. This program was an outgrowth of the practice of giving World War II veterans school and college credit in recognition of their military education and experience. In 1963 the Regents introduced College Proficiency Examinations, now called Excelsior College Examinations (ECEs), initially to help teachers and nurses complete educational requirements. First named the "Regents External Degree Program," it was established in 1971 with financial support from the Ford and Carnegie Foundations. Degrees could be granted based on a combination of college proficiency exams and classroom and correspondence courses, or on a variety of exams alone. The first degrees were conferred in 1972. This program became independent of the Education Department in 1991 but continued to be governed by the Board of Regents until 1998 when it fully separated from the Board of Regents to become a private, independent college. The school, prohibited by the terms of its "independence" agreement from continuing to use the name Regents College, adopted the name Excelsior College in 2001. Excelsior College is now a constituent member of USNY in the same way, and only the same way, that other colleges and universities in New York State are. Like them, it has its own charter and Board of Trustees.

It was always called Regents College when I "attended" back in the 80's. I had never heard the term "University of the State of New York" until I received my diploma. Why they chose to do it that way is beyond my pay grade, but it is what it is.

Does your 1987 official Transcript (or even current transcript if you order one) official Degree diploma in a black holder say Regents College?  I only read USNY. No one I know from those days called it Regents College.   Even the famous Bears Guide called it USNY back then did.

http://www.excelsior.edu/about

COLLEGE HISTORY

Excelsior College was founded in 1971 by the New York State Board of Regents, and was originally known as the Regents External Degree Program (REX). Initial development of the College was funded by major grants from the Ford Foundation and the Carnegie Corporation. From 1971 until 1998, Regents College (as it became known in 1986) operated as a program of the Board of Regents (which also served as its board of trustees) and under the authority of The University of the State of New York by which degrees and diplomas were awarded during that period.

In April 1998, the Board of Regents granted the College a charter to operate as a private, nonprofit, independent institution and on January 1, 2001, Regents College changed its name to Excelsior College. Today, an independent board of trustees governs Excelsior College and it is comprised of prominent individuals in the fields of education, business, and the professions from across the United States.

--------------------------------------------

So, in addition to me not knowing what I'm talking about, I guess Excelsior College has no idea, either.
(09-08-2017, 06:50 PM)KenJ Wrote: http://www.excelsior.edu/about

COLLEGE HISTORY

Excelsior College was founded in 1971 by the New York State Board of Regents, and was originally known as the Regents External Degree Program (REX). Initial development of the College was funded by major grants from the Ford Foundation and the Carnegie Corporation. From 1971 until 1998, Regents College (as it became known in 1986) operated as a program of the Board of Regents (which also served as its board of trustees) and under the authority of The University of the State of New York by which degrees and diplomas were awarded during that period.

In April 1998, the Board of Regents granted the College a charter to operate as a private, nonprofit, independent institution and on January 1, 2001, Regents College changed its name to Excelsior College. Today, an independent board of trustees governs Excelsior College and it is comprised of prominent individuals in the fields of education, business, and the professions from across the United States.

--------------------------------------------

So, in addition to me not knowing what I'm talking about, I guess Excelsior College has no idea, either.

So Regents College is named on your 1987 Official Transcript and 1987 Official Degree!

It's not on mine.  Fact, when I ordered an Official Transcript from Excelsior months ago it still says USNY on all 10 pages and Regents College is not printed on any page.  We must have graduated from different institutions. Big Grin

" Regents College (as it became known in 1986) operated as a program of the Board of Regents (which also served as its board of trustees) and under the authority of The University of the State of New York by which degrees and diplomas were awarded during that period."

Is your reading comprehension that bad?

It was always called either REX or Regents College while I was involved with them. When I went into the Education Office at various military bases, nobody called it USNY. It was always Regents.

What year did you graduate and "how and with whom" were you matriculated?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TOP 10 ONLINE BACHELOR’S DEGREE PROGRAMS IN REAL ESTATE 2017-2018 Life Long Learning 7 6,507 11-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior coming out with a real Emergency Management degree in 2016 Life Long Learning 4 849 08-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Last Post: mdel210201
  I have to take *gasp* real classes ! passit1 2 855 04-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Last Post: passit1
  Real sad beestrng 22 2,110 01-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Last Post: dewisant
  Some Real Answers Re: BSHS and FEMA Credits GringoInTijuana 3 1,871 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Last Post: gregjohnson
  insurance and or real estate license findlayes 1 1,588 02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Last Post: larry7crys