Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The reason most respectable colleges don't list majors on diplomas...
For what it's worth my parchment says "Bachelor of Arts Economics" and my official transcript says:

Degree Awarded: Bachelor of Arts
College: College of Arts and Sciences
Major: Economics

CollegeStudent7, if you are really pressed for time I'd try to get the BSBA in General Management rather than the BA in Liberal Arts, even though you can completely test out of the latter. I personally think the BA in Natural Sciences and Mathematics is the best option, and I think a BA in Liberal Arts won't look as good for you on a resume or CV as either of the other two options. At the end of the day, you have to make the decision within constraints such as time and money but I'd suggest trying to take the long-term view into account as well, e.g.., a business degree is usually more useful than than a general liberal arts degree.
Yenisei Wrote:For what it's worth my parchment says "Bachelor of Arts Economics" and my official transcript says:

Degree Awarded: Bachelor of Arts
College: College of Arts and Sciences
Major: Economics

CollegeStudent7, if you are really pressed for time I'd try to get the BSBA in General Management rather than the BA in Liberal Arts, even though you can completely test out of the latter. I personally think the BA in Natural Sciences and Mathematics is the best option, and I think a BA in Liberal Arts won't look as good for you on a resume or CV as either of the other two options. At the end of the day, you have to make the decision within constraints such as time and money but I'd suggest trying to take the long-term view into account as well, e.g.., a business degree is usually more useful than than a general liberal arts degree.

I greatly appreciate your feedback and recommendation. The only reason I shifted to LS gear was because it was my understanding that you couldn't test out of the majority of things for BSBA and BA, Nat Sci/Mathematics. If it takes me an extra month or so, I'm totally open to it, but from what I am concluding it would take me longer. Perhaps I am overlooking something.

Burbuja sent me a nice list that is making a lot more sense now than it did before. I am going to have a look at it when I get home. The Nat Sci/Math will still take me at least until the very end of this year. *sigh*

You do have a point. If another degree takes only a month or two extra then I am going to go for it. It was my understanding that they would not.

PS. How was majoring in Economics? Was it hard? That wouldn't look too shabby on a resume either right? Wink I hear that it's difficult, however. I know that's subjective.
Quote:The only reason I shifted to LS gear was because it was my understanding that you couldn't test out of the majority of things for BSBA and BA, Nat Sci/Mathematics.

This was discussed in a thread you started a month a go. It was clearly pointed out that you could test out of the majority of the BSBA. A sample template showing the courses and the exam equivalents was provided for you. http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...kdown.html
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:I greatly appreciate your feedback and recommendation. The only reason I shifted to LS gear was because it was my understanding that you couldn't test out of the majority of things for BSBA and BA, Nat Sci/Mathematics. If it takes me an extra month or so, I'm totally open to it, but from what I am concluding it would take me longer. Perhaps I am overlooking something.

Burbuja sent me a nice list that is making a lot more sense now than it did before. I am going to have a look at it when I get home. The Nat Sci/Math will still take me at least until the very end of this year. *sigh*

You do have a point. If another degree takes only a month or two extra then I am going to go for it. It was my understanding that they would not.

PS. How was majoring in Economics? Was it hard? That wouldn't look too shabby on a resume either right? Wink I hear that it's difficult, however. I know that's subjective.
I'm pretty sure I provided you a potential path to the Nat Sci degree which maximized testing, but it's true that it is not possible to test out of all of it. You can test out of quite a bit of it, though (for example):

LL

CLEP Biology 100 level 6 credits OR
DSST Intro to Computing 100 level 3 credits AND
DSST Astronomy 100 level 3 credits
UEXCEL Calculus 200 level 4 credits
DSST Environment and Humanity 200 level 3 credits

UL

DSST MIS 3 credits
ALEKS Business Statistics 3 credits (technically not testing out but not exactly taking a class, either)

You may also be able to use the Network Technology TECEP as UL credit and possibly ALEKS Intro to Statistics as LL credit (be sure to check with others on that, though). If that's the case you would only need 9 UL credits worth of classes to get the degree- everything else can more or less be tested out of.

I found economics easy, but others' mileage varies. It's a good substitute for a finance major and it's a great major for those going on to law school or MBA studies because it stresses thinking logically and it is, for the most part, a fairly quantitative discipline (not all courses are though). It does look good on a resume, IMHO.
Yenisei Wrote:I'm pretty sure I provided you a potential path to the Nat Sci degree which maximized testing, but it's true that it is not possible to test out of all of it. You can test out of quite a bit of it, though (for example):

LL

CLEP Biology 100 level 6 credits OR
DSST Intro to Computing 100 level 3 credits AND
DSST Astronomy 100 level 3 credits
UEXCEL Calculus 200 level 4 credits
DSST Environment and Humanity 200 level 3 credits

UL

DSST MIS 3 credits
ALEKS Business Statistics 3 credits (technically not testing out but not exactly taking a class, either)

You may also be able to use the Network Technology TECEP as UL credit and possibly ALEKS Intro to Statistics as LL credit (be sure to check with others on that, though). If that's the case you would only need 9 UL credits worth of classes to get the degree- everything else can more or less be tested out of.

I found economics easy, but others' mileage varies. It's a good substitute for a finance major and it's a great major for those going on to law school or MBA studies because it stresses thinking logically and it is, for the most part, a fairly quantitative discipline (not all courses are though). It does look good on a resume, IMHO.

You sure did. I'm just running it past a TESC advisor because you have awesome points. I also though the same thing about Economics. It's a nice solid B.A. major, but I have never taken an economics class. How is the math?
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:You sure did. I'm just running it past a TESC advisor because you have awesome points. I also though the same thing about Economics. It's a nice solid B.A. major, but I have never taken an economics class. How is the math?

Depends on the Economics but as a major you'd probably be expected to manage at least a stats course and (maybe) calculus.

How're you getting on with your ALEKS course; I remember you saying you are good at sci/math which is why you wanted that concentration?
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
It's not really that bad at the undergrad level, but you will need calculus and statistics for some courses. Given your time constraints, I don't recommend it because you can't test out of anything other than introductory micro and macro and Money & Banking, meaning you would have to take at least 8 courses, and it's way harder to find online economics courses than it is to find business or even science courses.

EDIT: I took a look at TESC's requirements for the Economics Area of Study, and I think it would be pretty tough to find a course to fit their Seminar/History of Economic Thought requirement as well as enough electives to fill out the Area of Study. Incredibly, they don't actually require calculus, and while statistics is usually more important than calculus in most undergrad economics courses, you are better off having had calculus when it comes to taking Intermediate Micro (it was a prereq at my B&M school).
irnbru Wrote:Depends on the Economics but as a major you'd probably be expected to manage at least a stats course and (maybe) calculus.

How're you getting on with your ALEKS course; I remember you saying you are good at sci/math which is why you wanted that concentration?
I'm not finding it terribly hard. Not sure if I'm a genius at it though. Numbers have just always been fairly reasonable for me to deal with and I can memorize formulas easily. I also enjoy learning about science.
Yenisei Wrote:It's not really that bad at the undergrad level, but you will need calculus and statistics for some courses. Given your time constraints, I don't recommend it because you can't test out of anything other than introductory micro and macro and Money & Banking, meaning you would have to take at least 8 courses, and it's way harder to find online economics courses than it is to find business or even science courses.

EDIT: I took a look at TESC's requirements for the Economics Area of Study, and I think it would be pretty tough to find a course to fit their Seminar/History of Economic Thought requirement as well as enough electives to fill out the Area of Study. Incredibly, they don't actually require calculus, and while statistics is usually more important than calculus in most undergrad economics courses, you are better off having had calculus when it comes to taking Intermediate Micro (it was a prereq at my B&M school).
Thanks! Definitely steering clear of it in that case! :ack: :coolgleam:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My diplomas have been ordered! Whoo Hoo! eriehiker 12 2,640 05-11-2018, 12:15 PM
Last Post: 1thomasP
  About TESU double majors ajtaylearn2017 3 1,628 04-14-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What are the easiest majors to study with alternative credit? Pelican 9 2,980 04-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  College Factual’s Nationwide Ranking of the Best Colleges For Returning Adults Life Long Learning 6 3,797 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Does anyone have a detailed list of courses for EC's BA in Natural Sciences? Pelican 3 1,339 03-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  TESU list of graduates? Ideas 8 2,121 03-17-2018, 11:55 PM
Big Grin TESU MARCH DIPLOMAS MAILED OUT TODAY lca88 7 2,339 03-17-2018, 07:28 PM
  List of Acronyms and Terms truthling 3 1,207 01-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: truthling
  COSC New Majors in CJ and Sociology sanantone 2 1,506 10-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Doodlebabe
  Best Colleges For Returning Adults - Nationwide -Rankings 2017 Life Long Learning 3 2,259 09-26-2017, 11:12 PM
Last Post: sanantone