Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theory behind liberal arts
I started class today and the professor handed out copies of this article on "The case for liberal arts"...I just thought it was pretty dang good and might encourage a few people who aren't so hot on the whole gen reqs =)

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/department...iberalArts
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
[COLOR="green"]Social Sciences and History
College Math
English Composition (no essay) [/COLOR]

DANTES:
[COLOR="green"]World Religions
Civil War and Reconstruction
Drug & Alcohol Abuse
Management Information Systems [/COLOR]

Excelsior:
[COLOR="Green"]Organizational Behavior
Ethics: Theory and Practice
World Conflicts since 1900
World Population [/COLOR][/SIZE]

All done! 42 credits by exam
Urbannaja Wrote:I started class today and the professor handed out copies of this article on "The case for liberal arts"...I just thought it was pretty dang good and might encourage a few people who aren't so hot on the whole gen reqs =)

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/department...iberalArts

Hi Urbannaja,

That was a very interesting article.

I think the whole debate boils down to whether it is preferable to have an education that provides DEPTH of knowledge, or an education that provides BREADTH of knowledge.

Personally, I have thoroughly enjoyed the breadth of my studies so far. My studies have taken me around the world, and back through time. I have encountered novels and poems, writers and musicians, sculptors and architects, philosophers and theologians, psychologists and sociologists. I have learned about things as as diverse as scientific theories, numbers, statistics, federal laws, Supreme Court decisions, congressional acts, politics, crime, drugs, law enforcement, nuclear waste, corporate finance, Hinduism, ethics, the Vietnam war, the Civil War, Stalin, Lenin, JFK, Nixon...the list goes on!

I think I have benefited immensely from the BREADTH of my studies, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Within that breadth, there has also been quite a lot of DEPTH. I have been able to carry my studies deeper into Psychology (my major), and Business (my other major). Through upper level study I have also been able to obtain depth in areas such as Computing, History, and Law.

If I should decide to pursue a Master's degree, I will be able to focus my studies and obtain much more DEPTH in my chosen subject. But at the Baccalaureate level, the BREADTH of study has laid a solid foundation for WHATEVER I choose to do in the future.

For these reasons, I believe that a strong liberal arts education is not only preferable, but essential to having a well-rounded concept of the world we live in...as it was, as it is, and is it may one day be.

That's all I have to say about that (spoken in my best Forest Gump voice)!
hilarious

Take care,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
I agree to a point...

I think student need LA classes to be well rounded, but there has been study after study that shows that LA degrees have in some cases a negative return financially, especially at the graduate levels..Ill find the link and post it here.

Also, as bad as this sound we are headed in the opposite direction with very specialized skill sets. I have to imagine that the LA degree will taper off over time due to lack of demand. The article points to one lady who got her Masters degree. Thats great, and if you are planning a 6 year education that may work, but if you plan to do 4 and get a job then you may be hurting..

Im a tech minded guys, so i could be T-totally off base. I have had several LA classes which i enjoyed, but see little if any bearing on my current work situation.

Also one last thing..the elitist suggestion at the end of the article was alittle cheap. IMHO elite is just a fancy pants word for Snob....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked Fox News latest Taylor Swift conspiracy theory LevelUP 3 310 01-31-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Families Aunt Becky Their Way Into Performance Arts High School sanantone 3 1,208 05-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  In Defense of a Liberal Education dewisant 7 1,870 02-10-2019, 01:10 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Clueless liberal discussing economics andy3000 36 2,859 12-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Last Post: tybouff
  New theory: PREVIOUS generations had a sense of entitlement blu2blu 39 4,686 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Last Post: ryoder
  Older students and the liberal arts Scholar Interrupted 67 9,006 04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Last Post: PonyGirl93
  Liberal Arts degrees april004 49 6,197 04-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: MA2
  Bachelor of Science in Conservative Studies/Arts? CLEP101 5 1,168 10-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Old Rusty Pipe
  liberal agenda- social sciences cookderosa 6 2,021 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Last Post: kimberlyaz
  BS Liberal Studies or BS Liberal Arts?? 0 837 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: