Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These Americans fled the country to escape their giant student debt
(05-29-2019, 05:19 PM)saraholson Wrote: What i got out of this article is that if I were working at Pizza Hut or Walmart, my employer would help me pay for classes. But since I work at a smaller business with no upward growth or mobility, my employers tell me i can only take classes that 'relate to the job i have now', not a more advanced job i may have in the future (because they don't plan on any new positions being created, and expect everyone in their roles now to stay until they retire in 20 more years). Moral of the story... I need to apply at some larger companies!

If you work at a business with no upward growth or mobility, then you should probably look for another job anyway, whether or not they pay your tuition!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Before I even read the article, I knew that the new tuition plans offered by some big companies were irrelevant. These people graduated in 2008, 2011, 2013, etc. A tuition benefit that started being offered in 2016, 2017, 2018, etc. is of no use to them. They graduated during and right after a recession. I only knew of one major company from that time that was offering a worthy tuition benefit for entry-level jobs that only require a high school diploma.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(05-29-2019, 05:27 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 05:19 PM)saraholson Wrote: What i got out of this article is that if I were working at Pizza Hut or Walmart, my employer would help me pay for classes. But since I work at a smaller business with no upward growth or mobility, my employers tell me i can only take classes that 'relate to the job i have now', not a more advanced job i may have in the future (because they don't plan on any new positions being created, and expect everyone in their roles now to stay until they retire in 20 more years). Moral of the story... I need to apply at some larger companies!

Yes.  Just be careful.  In some places, there are strings attached, so if you accept the $$$ from the employer, you are likely obligated to continue working there for several more years.    Sometimes that is great, but what I've seen is that my past employers have offered a maximum of 5k per year reimbursed after grades were received.   

So it's still free money, but has to be chosen wisely or you could end up stuck in a dead-end job for even longer just because they paid part of your tuition and no guarantee that getting a bachelor's will suddenly get you a promotion.

Wow, did your post just catch me off guard and give me reason to do some quick research.

My company just paid for my TESU LIB-495 class. Apparently, I did not read the Tuition Reimbursement form closely, and your post motivated me to go read the paperwork. 

Mine does say that I have to work at my employer for three years after reimbursement, if not there is a pro-rated amount that I must refund them.  The amount must be paid at day of termination of employment or will be refunded from final pay.   Hmmmm.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

This is the reason why I didn't take advantage of tuition reimbursement at any of my jobs. Most only offered $2,000 or less per year, and I would have had to work for them an extra month for each month they funded. I knew I could get a higher-paying job soon, and the increase in salary was greater than the maximum reimbursement. Taking advantage of tuition reimbursement can result in you losing money by having to turn down job offers or cough up thousands as soon as you quit, so you have to carefully calculate the benefit. If you're planning on getting a promotion at the same company, then this isn't an issue.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(05-30-2019, 12:20 PM)sanantone Wrote: This is the reason why I didn't take advantage of tuition reimbursement at any of my jobs. Most only offered $2,000 or less per year, and I would have had to work for them an extra month for each month they funded. I knew I could get a higher-paying job soon, and the increase in salary was greater than the maximum reimbursement. Taking advantage of tuition reimbursement can result in you losing money by having to turn down job offers or cough up thousands as soon as you quit, so you have to carefully calculate the benefit. If you're planning on getting a promotion at the same company, then this isn't an issue.

I work for a state government agency, and do not intend to leave, but.......you never know.  My agency is great and they treat me quite well, but the daily job duties are a bit boring.

My wife works for a state college, and they just paid for one of her co-workers to obtain her MBA.  The young lady literally resigned within one month of graduation.  They decided not to pursue her for the refund.  Being the Accountant in charge of that tuition fund, my wife was a bit annoyed by the whole thing.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

[-] The following 1 user Likes ChilliDawg's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(05-30-2019, 10:52 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 05:27 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote:

Yes.  Just be careful.  In some places, there are strings attached, so if you accept the $$$ from the employer, you are likely obligated to continue working there for several more years.    Sometimes that is great, but what I've seen is that my past employers have offered a maximum of 5k per year reimbursed after grades were received.   

So it's still free money, but has to be chosen wisely or you could end up stuck in a dead-end job for even longer just because they paid part of your tuition and no guarantee that getting a bachelor's will suddenly get you a promotion.

Wow, did your post just catch me off guard and give me reason to do some quick research.

My company just paid for my TESU LIB-495 class. Apparently, I did not read the Tuition Reimbursement form closely, and your post motivated me to go read the paperwork. 

Mine does say that I have to work at my employer for three years after reimbursement, if not there is a pro-rated amount that I must refund them.  The amount must be paid at day of termination of employment or will be refunded from final pay.   Hmmmm.

Glad to hear that you found out some new info and sorry to hear about the strings attached.   I think that it's really nice when employers offer tuition reimbursement, but they really are only good for a handful of people.   I would say an ideal candidate is someone who is happy at his or her company and needs to get a degree in order to get a promotion.   Like I mean if the degree is truly the ONLY thing stopping the promotion or pay increase like in some government jobs.   Otherwise, for the measly amount of money the employer will give you, it's not likely worth it to keep you in a job with zero guarantee of promotion.  You really could end up a lot worse off and stuck for a few years.

I do get why the employers offer the tuition with strings attached, but buyer beware.    I do really wish that more people knew about the Big 3.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Wow! I'm late to this post, but how dense can you be?! You're living in another country where your provided free/low cost housing, low cost of everything and your able to make an income by working less than you would in the U.S.A. and you still don't pay back your debt? How embarrassing, almost every English teacher I had met or heard of while living in East Asia were able to quickly pay off their student debt or had payed off more than what they would be able to back in the States.
How can you be placed in one of the most perfect opportunities to work, save and pay off any debt and not take advantage of it? With a degree, there are so many opportunities to make more money abroad, smh. These types of people I'll never understand.
GOAL 
University: UMPI
Degree: BLS Project Management
COMPLETED CREDITS 56/120
Rowan College @ BC | English Comp. I (3 cr.)
The Institutes | 312N-H Ethics  (2cr.)
Study.com | Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace (3 cr.)
ALEKS | College Algebra (3 cr.)
NFA | Q0118 - Community Safety Educators  (1 cr.)
TEEX | Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301 (6cr.)
Sophia | Principles of Finance, Art History II, U.S. History I, Intro. to Nutrition, Art History 1, Environmental Science, Intro to Web Development, Approaches to Studying Religion, Visual Communications, Intro. To Information Technologies, Intro. to Business, Ancient Greek Philosophy, Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict  (38 cr.)
(05-30-2019, 10:52 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote: Wow, did your post just catch me off guard and give me reason to do some quick research.

I look at it this way. At worst, it's a free loan. If you stay, then everything's fine. If you DO find that great higher paying job, paying back that small amount of tuition will seem a small thing. You just don't want find yourself in a position where paying it back is onerous.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
When I was working at a small local chain of grocery stores. We had tuition reimbursement but there were tons of stipulations. After finally working for the company long enough, meeting the hourly requirement, and choosing a course that related to the job. I went through like six different people via in person, phone and e-mail to finally get it approved over a period of weeks. Then during the course, I had to make sure my manager scheduled me a certain number of hours to remain eligible. And after the course was finished I had to submit my official transcripts, receipts, and more paperwork. But to top it all off, then I failed the course so I wasn't eligible for it anyway. I had to get a C or better. And this was only was 50% reimbursement, not even the whole thing I hope have improved their tuition reimbursement sense. When I worked there none of my fellow co-workers even knew about it, but I can see why based on my experience, it wasn't worth it. (worth noting this was only a CC course so not big $ here)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. Congress Passes a TikTok Ban Bill Which Sets Americans on Course for Civil War LevelUP 24 1,384 03-23-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Family Moves to Russia to Escape Woke LGBTQ Ideology, But It Doesn't Go Very Well Jonathan Whatley 3 1,209 03-11-2024, 08:04 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  AI's take on how Europeans perceive Americans LevelUP 0 208 12-22-2023, 10:54 AM
  How the World’s Most Dangerous Country Solved Murder LevelUP 8 646 09-26-2023, 07:23 PM
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,556 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 756 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 600 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,295 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 443 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 723 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie