Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC
OK, so I'm setting a goal for myself to do all of the following tests in the next 6 months. It actually doesn't seem that daunting. Most of these seem fairly straightforward from the reading I've been doing. The one I might have the most trouble in is math.

I became a member of IC and started going through the flashcards for marketing and computing. Since those are my 2 focuses at work, they both seem like they will be very easy for me to pass.

MAR-301-CE Principles of Marketing (3) 50

COS-101-DE Introduction to Computing (3) 400

LIT-291/292-CE Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (6) 50

SOS-305-DE Substance Abuse (3) 400

HEA-103-DE Here’s to Your Health (3) 400

MAN-301-CE Principles of Management (3) 50

ENC-101/102-CE College Composition (General) (6) 50

MAT-102/103-CE College Mathematics (General) (6) 50

BUE-101-DE Personal Finance (3) 400

EDU-102-DE Foundations of Education (3) 46
You can certainly do those in 6 months. Set a schedule now, figure out which ones overlap a little like Analyze & Interp Lit. and College Comp. and do them one after the other. I did 5-6 exams, 1 Aleks and 2 Praxis all with in 6 months and I was working 3/4 to full time. I am also old and slower to learn LOL. My schedule was 1 exam every 3-4 weeks. I put them on a calendar and crossed them out as I went it felt great to see them go down.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
RA808 Wrote:OK, so I'm setting a goal for myself to do all of the following tests in the next 6 months. It actually doesn't seem that daunting. Most of these seem fairly straightforward from the reading I've been doing. The one I might have the most trouble in is math.

I became a member of IC and started going through the flashcards for marketing and computing. Since those are my 2 focuses at work, they both seem like they will be very easy for me to pass.

FREEZE!
Just a heads up, some of these are going to be free electives, not general education, making them unnecessary cost/time. In fact, you might be over on your free electives, especially depends on what you're coming in with. Let me show you a slight tweek that will cut down about $500 but remember, I don't know what you already have. This will complete everything in the AA general studies.
KEEP these, they are all gen eds:

This group meets the 12 credits FREE ELECTIVES
SWAP: 12ea. FEMA courses ($0) for 12 credits with this set, that saves you about $500 and you can do the FEMA now, even over holiday break at home.

*** at that point, I see a that you would still need 6 humanities, 9 social science, 3 science, and 6 gen eds. In my opinion, how you meet the remaining credits depends on what you have and your learning style. I love ALEKS, and it wouldn't duplicate your CLEP exam. You could do intermediate algebra and stats for the 6 gen eds- that could be done in a month or two, which is $20-$40 total for those 6. Also, since you are drawn to business courses, you might consider using microeconomics and macroeconomics for your social sciences.

Lastly, you could, of course, just do the associates in business, but that has a PRECALCULUS math requirement that can be a brick wall for many people. (It would be for me! LOL)
cookderosa Wrote:FREEZE!
Just a heads up, some of these are going to be free electives, not general education, making them unnecessary cost/time. In fact, you might be over on your free electives, especially depends on what you're coming in with. Let me show you a slight tweek that will cut down about $500 but remember, I don't know what you already have. This will complete everything in the AA general studies.
KEEP these, they are all gen eds:

This group meets the 12 credits FREE ELECTIVES
SWAP: 12ea. FEMA courses ($0) for 12 credits with this set, that saves you about $500 and you can do the FEMA now, even over holiday break at home.

*** at that point, I see a that you would still need 6 humanities, 9 social science, 3 science, and 6 gen eds. In my opinion, how you meet the remaining credits depends on what you have and your learning style. I love ALEKS, and it wouldn't duplicate your CLEP exam. You could do intermediate algebra and stats for the 6 gen eds- that could be done in a month or two, which is $20-$40 total for those 6. Also, since you are drawn to business courses, you might consider using microeconomics and macroeconomics for your social sciences.

Lastly, you could, of course, just do the associates in business, but that has a PRECALCULUS math requirement that can be a brick wall for many people. (It would be for me! LOL)

Good to know. I thought "Business Administration" under CLEP for TESC was general education electives, not "free electives"? Guess not.

I'm going off this page to determine my requirements:

http://tesc.edu/1731.php
RA808 Wrote:Good to know. I thought "Business Administration" under CLEP for TESC was general education electives, not "free electives"? Guess not.

I'm going off this page to determine my requirements:

Thomas Edison State College | Associate in Arts

That is the correct page to follow. General Education includes: Humanities (eg. literature, art, English, music, ethics, philosophy, etc.), Natural Science (biology, chemistry, physics, geology, enviro, etc) Math (algebra, statistics, calculus, etc) and Social Sciences (phychology, sociology, govt, economics, history, anthropology, and sometimes criminal justice) Business is in it's own category when it is your major (for instance, microeconomics becomes a business course in a business major but it remains a social science course in a liberal arts major). Everything that is not a general education is either in your major or free electives. Since the AA general studies doesn't have a major, the business courses go directly into free electives.

A good chunk of us here are really confident where all of the CLEP/DSST exams are applied in any degree at any of the big 3. Entire threads are dedicated to keeping the most up to date accurate record of this. You can trust this board in this area.

As of right now, there is a list floating around here that you'll want to get your hands on and maybe even print off. I'm hiding my head in shame, because I can't remember who did all that work putting together that ROCKIN table of every exam/ALEKS/test and it's course name when transcribed over tp TESC. It's a dozen pages long and a bible for many! Maybe someone will jump in.

***EDIT***
SandraNC did it! Here is the fruit of her labor. http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...ncies.html
cookderosa Wrote:That is the correct page to follow. General Education includes: Humanities (eg. literature, art, English, music, ethics, philosophy, etc.), Natural Science (biology, chemistry, physics, geology, enviro, etc) Math (algebra, statistics, calculus, etc) and Social Sciences (phychology, sociology, govt, economics, history, anthropology, and sometimes criminal justice) Business is in it's own category when it is your major (for instance, microeconomics becomes a business course in a business major but it remains a social science course in a liberal arts major). Everything that is not a general education is either in your major or free electives. Since the AA general studies doesn't have a major, the business courses go directly into free electives.

A good chunk of us here are really confident where all of the CLEP/DSST exams are applied in any degree at any of the big 3. Entire threads are dedicated to keeping the most up to date accurate record of this. You can trust this board in this area.

As of right now, there is a list floating around here that you'll want to get your hands on and maybe even print off. I'm hiding my head in shame, because I can't remember who did all that work putting together that ROCKIN table of every exam/ALEKS/test and it's course name when transcribed over tp TESC. It's a dozen pages long and a bible for many! Maybe someone will jump in.

***EDIT***
SandraNC did it! Here is the fruit of her labor. http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...ncies.html
That is awesome. Thank you. This forum is an invaluable resource.

With that in mind, I might skip Foundations of Education and Personal Finance and supplement 3 FEMA credits. I'm not really clear on how the FEMA stuff works, so I'll have to read up on that. Seems like it's all done online?

Also, anyone know what AP English credits translate to at TESC?

Thanks again.
I could have sworn I read somewhere on the forum that Here's To Your Health could also be used as a science credit. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know I was hoping to use it that way. I'll be bummed if not!!!!
OK, I figured out FEMA and actually just passed one. :hurray:

Really easy - mostly common sense stuff. Will have to take a few others. Appreciate the tip.

I also looked into my old AP test, and I believe it's AP English Literature (we did nothing but read books all year and the exam was an essay based on 4 of the books). I got a 4, so I would be eligible for 6 credits at TESC. I believe that English Lit would count towards humanities?

So I guess I have 7 right there. Big Grin

Can I start sending credits/tests to TESC after I apply, or must I wait until I pay one year's tuition/enrollment?

I'm starting to think I can pull off the AA pretty quickly. Maybe moving onto the BA won't be too far ahead.
Well, I just found Here's To Your Health posted as a human services credit, but haven't found the science post (if there is one) .... not sure what human services one goes under - social services, maybe? Or would that still be a free elective. OH! WOW! This gets confusing, huh???
]OK, I figured out FEMA and actually just passed one. :hurray: Excellent!! Search for the list of FEMA that TESC takes for credit. They take about 30 (you simply choose from that shorter list). When the time comes that you enroll at TESC, email FEMA through the site you were on, and they send your transcript to TESC for free. TESC adds on the courses to your free electives, for free. It's a good thing.

Really easy - mostly common sense stuff. Will have to take a few others. Appreciate the tip.

I also looked into my old AP test, and I believe it's AP English Literature (we did nothing but read books all year and the exam was an essay based on 4 of the books). I got a 4, so I would be eligible for 6 credits at TESC. I believe that English Lit would count towards humanities? Yes! A&I Lit will also fall here, so do some shifting so you'll meet the "2 areas" inside humanities. Before you ask, yes, you can split the 6 credits so that 3 fill humanities and 3 fall into genera education electives.

So I guess I have 7 right there. Big Grin

Can I start sending credits/tests to TESC after I apply, or must I wait until I pay one year's tuition/enrollment? None of the exams require you to be enrolled anywhere. That's the beauty of CLEP. Anyone any age can take them. Two options. 1) complete your TESC application ($75) so that for the next 6 months, you won't be enrolled but CLEP/DSST will send your exams scores to TESC for free and they will hang n to them for you until you enroll. Option 2) just test. When the time comes that you want to apply, pay CLEP $20 and they will send a complete list of your passing scores to TESC. Only con with option 2 is that you have to do it in one shot- like after you're done testing- or you'll be out another $20.

I'm starting to think I can pull off the AA pretty quickly. Maybe moving onto the BA won't be too far ahead. yes, that happens here lol.[/QUOTE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,608 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,895 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies PBenitez 14 3,522 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,739 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,825 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,835 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  TESU LIberal Studies, what qualifies jeffreymb 9 2,262 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,647 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,626 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Just finished my Lib Arts Capstone at TESU jsh1138 32 6,164 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Last Post: jsh1138