Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC
Been doing a lot of reading on this forum. Such an awesome resource. So, I have some questions:

1. Process. It seems like there's a good order to do things in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should first find all the equivalent tests for the credits I need and take those first? Or should I apply to TESC first?
It seems like the last thing I do is pay the ~$2,800 when I have enough credits, or know I'm close to having enough credits to graduate? I'm going to shoot for late 2012, but we'll see if that's possible given my busy schedule.
2. Are there any classes in the A.A. program that I will have to take at TESC that can't be earned via a transfer of credit (I have at least 3 credits that will transfer) or from testing out?

That's my main 2 curiosities. The order in which I should do things to save the most money, and if I will need to satisfy any non-"tested out" credits for this particular degree.

Once I'm done with the A.A., I'm going to look into doing a B.A. Baby steps. Smile

Thanks all!
Been doing a lot of reading on this forum. Such an awesome resource. So, I have some questions:

1. Process. It seems like there's a good order to do things in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should first find all the equivalent tests for the credits I need and take those first? Or should I apply to TESC first?
Since you don't want to pay for a second year if you don't have to, you should get within striking range before you register. That said, you get a 6 month period when you first apply before you have to pay that application fee again, so really you could apply now- take a few exams and get a feel for how long it's going to take you to work your plan. When you feel that you are within 1 year, go ahead and enroll. That will likely be well before your 6 months run out.

It seems like the last thing I do is pay the ~$2,800 when I have enough credits, or know I'm close to having enough credits to graduate? I'm going to shoot for late 2012, but we'll see if that's possible given my busy schedule.
I wouldn't wait until your finished to enroll, because that's a looonnnggg time and sometimes (though not often) something changes in the degree requirements and those who were working alone had to scramble and change their plan. No doubt in my mind you can complete an AA in 1 year, even if you take classes with your exams.

2. Are there any classes in the A.A. program that I will have to take at TESC that can't be earned via a transfer of credit (I have at least 3 credits that will transfer) or from testing out?
Not at this time.

That's my main 2 curiosities. The order in which I should do things to save the most money, and if I will need to satisfy any non-"tested out" credits for this particular degree.

That's more or less what I did too. I tested out of my gen eds and took classes in my major.

Once I'm done with the A.A., I'm going to look into doing a B.A. Baby steps. Smile

Thanks all!

Good luck and happy testing!
OK, that sounds great. I'm going to take my first test ASAP. Probably Jan 21st and see how that goes. Maybe I will apply/register around then. I'm not worried about paying the $75 twice.

The $2800 tuition is fully tax deductible, right? Last time I took a college course at a local university I was able to write it off.

Does TESC change degree requirements at certain times of the year? Just wondering if I could time my enrollment to something like that.
cookderosa is right on the money. Since you've decided to go with TESC, I think it is very wise to go ahead and apply and pay the $75 fee. When I began testing, I didn't know where I was going to graduate from, so I had the test results sent to Clep or Dantes (whichever I was taking). When I finally decided on TESC, I had to request transcripts from both Clep & Dantes. It cost me about $75. Had I applied to TESC, I would have sent those scores to them. (You live & learn)
Also, being accepted by TESC gives you access to the Student Services panel - you can access your evaluation and play around with their very cool "What-If" degree planner.
Also, that six months deadline may be a good kick-in-the-rear in terms of finishing your degree.
Changes occur in July.
Tax deductible? - ask your accountant.
What kind of high school grades do they look for? It's been almost 10 years. I don't remember my GPA.
RA808 Wrote:What kind of high school grades do they look for? It's been almost 10 years. I don't remember my GPA.

Not grades, a diploma. They are open enrollment.

EDIT- or a GED
cookderosa Wrote:Not grades, a diploma. They are open enrollment.

EDIT- or a GED
Oh OK. Well, I certainly have that. Smile
So how much cheaper is COSC? I'm in CT. The capstone seems like a pain though. I'd rather just test out and get the AA over with.
RA808 Wrote:So how much cheaper is COSC? I'm in CT. The capstone seems like a pain though. I'd rather just test out and get the AA over with.

Tuition for Affordable Online Degree Completion and Online Courses at Charter Oak State College

1078 plus testing costs. Tesc would be closer to 3000 plus testing costs for associates/bachelors.
dew125 Wrote:Tuition for Affordable Online Degree Completion and Online Courses at Charter Oak State College

1078 plus testing costs. Tesc would be closer to 3000 plus testing costs for associates/bachelors.
Capstone would be about another $600 or so, right? It almost seems worth it to go with TESC and pay a little extra. Momentum and getting these tests done quickly is the name of the game. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,778 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies PBenitez 14 3,450 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,708 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,793 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,794 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  TESU LIberal Studies, what qualifies jeffreymb 9 2,246 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,596 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Just finished my Lib Arts Capstone at TESU jsh1138 32 6,119 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Last Post: jsh1138