Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Thinking about taking the Capstone at TESU? Here's what you have to do now!!
This is going to be an ongoing documentation of my personal journey in this course. Having read of the varied experiences of others, I made the questionable choice of taking the guided study option instead of the online course and I am learning and have learned a few important things that I would like to share with others.
1. Don't wait until you start the course to pick a topic. Start narrowing down your topic now. Grab a copy of the textbook used for the course and read it until it sinks in.
2. After you narrow down your topic, get your NJ library card immediately and begin ordering your books (this is primarily only an issue for remote students that live in off the wall tiny towns like mine - lol). This also will only work if you are already enrolled at TESU.
3. Read a section of Purdue Owl every day with every meal unless you are already gifted in writing.

Maybe I'll post more in a few days or weeks after I finish Chapter 2 and if there's any interest in this thread...
cypster Wrote:Grab a copy of the textbook used for the course and read it until it sinks in.

This is all really good advice. I just wanted to point out that I thought this particular tidbit seemed funny to me, though, because the text was so absolutely worthless. It seemed geared towards a real, typical masters/doctorate thesis, not relevant to the TESU capstone in very many ways. I read a small piece of it once and never cracked it open again. It seemed wholly unnecessary, everything you needed was included in the course content elsewhere. I got an A in the class and wouldn't bother buying the book if I had to do it over again.

Good luck to you, and to anyone else out there that might be starting this course. I was very anxious about it, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. You'll all get through it Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:This is all really good advice. I just wanted to point out that I thought this particular tidbit seemed funny to me, though, because the text was so absolutely worthless. It seemed geared towards a real, typical masters/doctorate thesis, not relevant to the TESU capstone in very many ways. I read a small piece of it once and never cracked it open again. It seemed wholly unnecessary, everything you needed was included in the course content elsewhere. I got an A in the class and wouldn't bother buying the book if I had to do it over again.

I'm not completely sure on the question of the textbook just yet but I've found it indispensible for figuring out how to word some parts of the first chapter so maybe it's a personal preference? At any rate, it is definitely more geared to the wrong group... Sad
I found the text helpful. You do have to read it carefully, though. Luckily my prof assigned specific readings in the text that he wanted us to pay attention to. I didn't bother with any of the rest, most of which centered on dealing with your adviser and the like. The other book, "Keys for Writers" I never even opened, however. There was nothing in there that you couldn't get easier online.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I just finished my capstone with an A on all chapters and final.

I was completely afraid of it before hand, had never written a big paper and thought I could never do it. Once I started though, it was a breeze.

I pretty much did none of those things and it worked out ok. I probably only read a few pages in the book, however what I did do was read a half dozen sample papers. They are available if you search here.

The anxiety before was so much worse than just doing it.
I think you might be right about keys for writers dave. Not sure on that one yet. I have tried using it some but do tend to turn more and more to the OWL. That said, I'm really glad to know that some of you found this class so easy. I personally like the fact that it's a bit challenging a little and my topic has absorbed me so that probably has a lot to do with my level of engagement. At any rate, continuing with the thread just in case someone else might find it helpful...
-I've found Zotero to be an indispensible tool for collecting resources in a somewhat organized format. I'm still learning the ins and out of it though.
-Google scholar is helpful for finding 'scholarly' articles at first. - Anyone have any tips on what constitutes scholarly? The count of citations? The source?
-Not much in the discussion area of this course as would be expected in a guided study class. Our mentor just posts the assignment and you set sail...
-My mentor's responses to my questions have been very timely in my opinion at least so far anyway.
Here is the link to the Google Scholarly article search. Shouldn't anything you find within here be good enough? As long as it is up-to-date. https://scholar.google.com
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
I have the link but I'm glad you posted it since it can be helpful for someone else. I don't really know if it's considered scholarly as long as it's found in here. If that's how it works, then half of my worries for this paper are over! Big Grin
OMG!!! I passed the first assignment and I can't tell you how excited I am about that. Good grief! I was a nervous wreck for the past few days. I was constantly checking for a grade and feedback several times a day. Whew.... I can finally breathe now. Lol. Ok. That's all I've got for tonight. 4 more to go!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cypster's post:
  • omuneek
Chapter 2 is the lit review I believe. That's the worst one, it's all easy breezy after that
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,932 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,621 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,030 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,587 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,211 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,671 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,296 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,551 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,287 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,327 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic