Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State College Upper level Accounting Credit - HELP!
Well, that is great to hear! I was hoping I misunderstood. I will definitely send a link to TESC since I could take one of those courses concurrently with the auditing course I need and be done by December after all.
I checked with TESC. This is what I sent them:

"I was wondering if these courses through University of Northern Alabama would fulfill and be accepted for the Accounting Electives for the Accounting concentration:

http://www.efficientlearning.com/wileycp...pp/courses"

and this was their response:

"The answer to your question is no. They are preparatory courses that will
prepare you to sit for the CPA exam. There is a statement at the end of
each description that indicates none of them will satisfy elective course
requirements in an accounting degree program."

That's from the academic program advisor. I thought that if these classes wouldn't satisfy as an elective course at that school then why would it be different for any other school? I am bummed. I was hoping to save some money and time. Sad
dmsgirl Wrote:I checked with TESC. This is what I sent them:

"I was wondering if these courses through University of Northern Alabama would fulfill and be accepted for the Accounting Electives for the Accounting concentration:

http://www.efficientlearning.com/wileycp...pp/courses"

and this was their response:

"The answer to your question is no. They are preparatory courses that will
prepare you to sit for the CPA exam. There is a statement at the end of
each description that indicates none of them will satisfy elective course
requirements in an accounting degree program."

That's from the academic program advisor. I thought that if these classes wouldn't satisfy as an elective course at that school then why would it be different for any other school? I am bummed. I was hoping to save some money and time. Sad

Personally, I would appeal. They are the same course delivery system used by LSU from all I could read (Wiley), and LSU's courses are accepted without question. The blurb clarifies how and where they fit for individuals who are sitting the AL CPA exam because it's a beast to prepare for and find the right course options. They are 3-credit courses, not prep-courses (which are typically no credit or 1 credit); if a CPA board accepts them as qualification and contribution to the 150-c.h. total, TESC certainly should (CPA licensing boards are notoriously more picky, particularly the southern offices). If the self-paced nature is the problem (i.e., can finish faster), then just about all ACE sources, LSU, CSU, BYU, etc. should be rejected. Advising has been known to skim and make arbitrary, incorrect decisions before.

If you do not want to go that route, though, I've got a list of ACCT courses and their sources at home. I have an abbreviated list here (started it here so the first few I found) and might be able to make other suggestions. I just stopped looking when I found UNA since it meets all my needs (I'm done with the degree and just filling in blanks for the CPA requirements over the next 10-20 years...it's my retirement plan so just need to have everything done and a few small businesses lined up in 27 years).

P.S. And what have you already taken to avoid overlap?

P.P.S. As mentioned, they do not satisfy the Elective section of the AL CPA requirements because they satisfy other, tougher categories; not transferability. In the FAQ it references their accreditation by SACS and ACBSP regarding transferability to other universities. For clarification, here are the electives they are referencing (see page 4): http://www.asbpa.alabama.gov/PDF/rules/30-X-4.pdf
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Thanks mrs.b.

I just sent an e-mail requesting an appeal to their decision. We'll see what happens.

So far I have taken:

Fin. acctg
Mgrl acctg
Int I & II
Cost acctg (taken at a community college so does not count toward electives - darn)
Not-for-proft/Governmental acct (taken at a community college so does not count toward electives - darn again)
Federal income taxation
Auditing (currently taking through LSU)
Ugh! My work hates Degreeforum and gets jumpy. I was finishing up a post and it auto-saved or something and lost everything. Sad

A faster summary - you'll need to see if any of these work for you:

Pensacola State College has online (not self-paced) options you haven't taken. They are cheap for FL (120/cr.) and AL (130/cr) residents, but a bit pricey for other state residents.

Missouri Southern State University has online/self-paced courses you haven't taken. They are reasonable for MO, KS, OK, AR, and some IL counties.

Upper Iowa University has online/self-paced courses you haven't taken. Pricing is reasonable in some areas, and ridiculous in others.

The rest of my list, now that I actually research it (I'd started it here but only grabbed schools that offered courses I need, but had not looked at tuition) are insane on their tuition.

If you do not live in the area for fair pricing for one of the above schools, take a look at your state schools and search "self-paced" and "independent study," and see what comes up. Also look at neighboring states. AL and FL have tuition agreements, and it looks like the Midwest states do as well.
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
mrs.b,

I think those options will be too expensive for me since I'm an AZ resident. My state schools are ridiculously expensive too. Guess I'll have to stick with LSU.

Well, here is the final verdict on those courses from TESC:

"I sent the course descriptions you provided to the School of Business and Management for review. Per the Assistant Dean, based on the disclaimer in all of the descriptions "Will not satisfy elective course requirement in accounting degree program", the courses will not transfer into your program."

Sad
dmsgirl Wrote:mrs.b,

I think those options will be too expensive for me since I'm an AZ resident. My state schools are ridiculously expensive too. Guess I'll have to stick with LSU.

"I sent the course descriptions you provided to the School of Business and Management for review. Per the Assistant Dean, based on the disclaimer in all of the descriptions "Will not satisfy elective course requirement in accounting degree program", the courses will not transfer into your program."

Sad

Well, that's just plain annoying. Because I'm bad at admitting defeat (shh,don't tell anyone) , I emailed the contact at UNA to see if there is any clarification or advice they are willing to offer. Hopefully they have something helpful to contribute OR are willing to clarify their statement on the website. I'll pass along any response.
- Arnold Fletcher Award

(09-26-2014, 03:58 PM)mrs.b Wrote:
dmsgirl Wrote:mrs.b,

Sad

I know it has been a while, but in case someone else looks at this for help I wanted to make sure the info was available.  I have been in contact with TESU regarding the University of North Alabama and would like to let everyone know they now WILL transfer as upper level accounting credit to TESU.
Bachelors of Science, Accounting (B.Sc.)
Thomas Edison State College, est. 2015

Associates of Science, General Studies (A.Sc.)
Harper College, 2008

Credits from Loyola University Chicago, Harper College, & Franklin University - 84
Credits from Thomas Edison State College - 12
Credits from Penn Foster - Intermediate Acct I - A, Intermediate Acct II - A, Business and Technical Writing - A, Retail Management - A, Cost Acct - In Progress - 15

Classes to be planned [COLOR="#FF0000"]
Income Tax Acct I & II
Computer Science
Auditing
12 Credits Total
[/COLOR]
120/120 will be completed in early 2015!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like DeterminedStudent's post:
  • sarg123, Yenisei
Thanks for that info. Those are especially good courses to take if someone is about to take the CPA exam, but if time horizon for taking any of the exams is a year away or longer, someone getting a BSBA in Accounting from TESU would find the Study.com courses and the Federal Income Tax TECEP to be less-expensive alternatives. Courses like Auditing, which aren't currently available from Study.com should be taken with UNA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yenisei's post:
  • sarg123

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,872 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,497 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,098 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,083 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,741 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,846 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,991 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU My Edison log-in trouble JanuarySunshine 4 2,506 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: JanuarySunshine
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,682 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,015 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd