Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts?
I just graduated with my BSBA, however I am wanting to get some sort of credential in software development. I was thinking like a technical certificate or something. Any suggestions on the best route to take? I've always loved computers and wanted to learn more about programming, seems odd with my current career path, but I want to pursue it in some shape or form. Would a BSBA and a TC in software development help me get a decent job? Also, any suggestions on where I could take courses ?
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

BA- Business Management (6)
ALEKS- Intro To Statistics
AAS Business Administration- Community College
Have you thought about getting a BS in SW Dev from WGU? With your degree, the Gen Ed's are waived, and you could just go down the list of competencies and start taking courses in the things you need (and can find inexpensively), until you get to the point where you would enroll and finish in a single term. That would certainly be the best bang for your buck ($3500 for a term, and that's without the $500 scholarship you could get there).

The following 8 out of 21 courses can be tested out:
Organizational Behavior req - Org Behavior (SL, Study.com, DSST)
Scripting & Programming Foundations req - C++Programming course (SL)
Scripting & Programming req - Intro to Programming w/Python (OnlineDegree FREE)
Intro to IT req - Fundamentals of IT (Study.com or SL)
Network & Security Foundations req - Networking (Saylor or TECEP)
Data Management Foundations req - Database Mgmt (study.com)
Business of IT Applications req - MIS (study.com or DSST)
Business of IT PM req - Project Management (Study.com or Sophia)

I might take other courses as well, if they're inexpensive, to get you ready for the WGU coursework so that you could get through it quickly, but only if was free or very cheap. Saylor, a few more from Study.com if you had the Guardian scholarship, anything you can find for free, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Buckle down and do the WGU masters in cybersecurity. You will get plenty of certs by the end. itll be worth it
(05-31-2018, 12:08 PM)jjsafari Wrote: Buckle down and do the WGU masters in cybersecurity. You will get plenty of certs by the end. itll be worth it

The Cybersecurity Masters from WGU includes 2 certifications (CEH and CHFI), both of which are "meh" at best.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(05-31-2018, 12:08 PM)jjsafari Wrote: Buckle down and do the WGU masters in cybersecurity. You will get plenty of certs by the end. itll be worth it

Why would someone get a MA in Cybersecurity when they had an interest in Software Development?  This won't get them many (most?) of the courses they actually WANT to take.

Never just go get a degree that you don't even want to get.  Instead, find a way to get what you want.  You may need to be creative, but you shouldn't give up the dream.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on Unions? MNomadic 2 1,003 10-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Thoughts, Suggestions, Ideas? LaterBloomer 4 1,335 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  Changes in our Society...good or bad? Thoughts for discussion. marianne202 8 1,158 05-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Lyanne
  Prayer Request, Good Thoughts, Positive Vibes Requested! marianne202 27 4,659 07-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Last Post: marianne202
  Any thoughts on the Mass Election? Basket Weaver 12 2,138 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Basket Weaver
  your thoughts on MJ.. his life.. his career creationstory 12 2,235 06-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Last Post: LatinTea
  Good Thoughts, etc. cinderly 10 2,606 12-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Last Post: cinderly