Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time Taken to Complete a Degree with the Big 3
Hello.

I’m curious to know long it has taken some of you to complete a degree by testing out with one of the big 3 by using the various sources of credit (Saylor, Straigherline, etc.) mentioned on this forum. How many hours per week do you spend studying? Did you start out with prior course work from traditional sources such as a community college?

I’m trying to figure out what it would take to get a BA in CompSci with TESU, but I would be starting with zero credits and haven’t been to school since I graduated high school in 1995.
I started with zero credits and will be finishing my degree in two months. In total it will have taken me 1.5 years. That includes a couple interruptions.
I probably spend 40 hours a week trying to study, however, after twitter, youtube, and this forum it ends up less than that.
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
(11-15-2017, 09:23 PM)Joeman200 Wrote: I started with zero credits and will be finishing my degree in two months.   In total it will have taken me 1.5 years.  That includes a couple interruptions.
I probably spend 40 hours a week trying to study, however, after twitter, youtube, and this forum it ends up less than that.

Are you me? Haha, it's amazing how much time I wasted on these exact websites when I was supposed to be studying or working on courses.

To answer OP - my degree took exactly one year, but I skipped basically the entire month of March to chill my brain. July 2016-2017.
JonW Wrote:I’m curious to know long it has taken some of you to complete a degree by testing out with one of the big 3 by using the various sources of credit (Saylor, Straigherline, etc.) mentioned on this forum. How many hours per week do you spend studying? Did you start out with prior course work from traditional sources such as a community college?

I’m trying to figure out what it would take to get a BA in CompSci with TESU, but I would be starting with zero credits and haven’t been to school since I graduated high school in 1995.

We're about the same age! In fact, I had someone exactly in your shoes and he PM'ed me asking the same thing on the sister board. Have you thought about going for a BALS with a Concentration in CompSci? OR a BSBA CIS? Do you have IT/industry certificates? Let me ask, married/have kids? What do you do now? The person asked about a BSBA CIS. Actually, let me copy/paste the same thing I asked him...

Hello, yeah, how busy are you? Married and have kids? Any prior credits with transcripts available for transfer? Are you looking for cheap/easy/fast? You can complete most of the credits with Straighterline and Study.com, your Capstone must be from TESU and three or four courses or so from other schools (AOS/Concentration). If you have further questions PM me, or use your thread as a reference, progress tracking thread for questions and answers. Good luck!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
It's really hard to equate effort between different people. Do you have computer science experience? If so, you can move much faster than someone who does not. I took about 20 months, starting with about 2 years worth of credits, including all the calculus required. However, I wasn't really trying to rush. The hard thing about the BACS is that not all of the UL CS courses you need are available inexpensively or by testing. That may slow you down a little. I've attached my BACS spreadsheet for TESU. Hopefully it will help you see what you need to do.

Attached Files
.xls   TESU BA Computer Science 2017-1.xls (Size: 27 KB / Downloads: 8)
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,196 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,854 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,339 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,671 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,854 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,772 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,996 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,959 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,321 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,676 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero