Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Took My Last DSST Today (Environment and Humanity feedback)
Hello again everyone:

Today I sat for my final Wink DSST-Environment and Humanity. It went pretty much as I expected with no surprises. As others who sat for this test will attest to, it is not an "easy" test if you go in cold. I believe that IC will get you over the hump. The "Pass Your Class" book was my other main source of study. This book is not enough to pass the exam in and of itself, but combined with IC it is good. Originally, I also used the Rudman book, but was uncomfortable with the Q and A format. I did use this book the night before and once you have a grasp on the material, the Rudman questions are useful.

The other sources that I must thank for passing this and my other DSST exams are my fellow IC members. The insight and tips I got were not only useful, but were a motivational factor as well. I really appreciate the support and feedback I got from these boards. Conservatively, I estimate I picked up 10 questions from previous discussions on Environment and Humanity. I could visualize the discussions as i progressed through the exam, and the answers jumped off the page in many instances

Now, it is my pleasure to pass on my insights and recall of today's exam to others studying:

Be familiar with the term "Cultural Euthrophication "

Know the role of the EPA

Recognize what form of transportation is NOT considered mass transit

Be familiar with the causes and effects of infant mortality in developing nations- I chose "poverty":confused:

What is an "omnivore"?...Oink-oinkSmile

Layers of the atmosphere and how ozone effects certain layers

How a law is formulated in Congress

Effects of U.S. government subsisdies for "Big Oil" corporations

What country is the biggest producer of Hazardous Waste
The feature found in "state of the art" landfills

The primary suggested method of disposing municipal solid waste as per EPA guidelines

What region of the U.S. is most affected by acid rain

Where the "Taiga" biome figures in as related to temperate climates

The two main factors that influence a region's climate

The definition of "ecology"

Global warming and the Geernhouse Effect- I had at least 5 questions on this subject. If you read any of the IC material, you should be fine. There were no real trick questions in this area.

The effect industrialization initallly has on birth and death rates--a VERY confusing set of answers...read carefully

Where "screening" fits into wastewater treatment

I also recall 2 questions about phosphorous and how it figures into cultural euthrophication and wastewater treatment

The ocean water pollutant that is the most damaging- I chose Raw Sewage:confused:

The version of the test I took had no questions on the following:

Soil composition
Prehistoric man
The Green Revolution
Rain shadows
The person who started the phrase: "Greeenhouse Effect"

These points were covered on the DSST practice exams, so i would be familiar with them-it could not hurt.

I hope that this post is not redundant with any of the others on the subject.. I also hope it helps someone as much as the other posts helped an guided my study on this topic. If I pass Environment and Humanity, i will be finishe dwith exams. Once I finish my last Excelsior course in April, I too will become a college graduate-and the first in my immediate family to boot!

Although I will not be using the IC study material anymore, I will stay a member of the IC discussion board until I graduate from Excelsior. The collective experience and support found here is priceless.

Till next time,
Mike
Mike, thanks for taking the time to post such detailed feedback. I have tweaked your thread title to make it more search-friendly.

Keep us posted on your results! Smile
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
Congratulations Mike! What a great example to your family also. I'll bet they are all really proud of you.Smile

Thanks for the detailed feedback on this exam also. Very helpful.
Kate
Kate
BS Psychology
I just pased this exam 15 minutes ago.

Mass transit is a vehicle that transports more tean a few people, you should see the obvious answer.

Be familiar with the causes and effects of infant mortality in developing nations- all the answer except one are a cause of the real answer, poverty Smile.

What country is the biggest producer of Hazardous Waste (ask president Bush Wink).

The ocean water pollutant that is the most damaging- You missed this one since you chose raw sewage. Call Exxon and ask them the effect of the Valdez Wink.

The effect industrialization initallly has on birth and death rates--a VERY confusing set of answers...read carefully (decrease in death, decrease in birth Smile).

To be honest if you read the test look for all the specialty words you studied in IC, though some are not menthioned like "Taiga" you can see DSST wants you to know the topic so if you see it mark it then go back if its the only question with that topic. I hope that makes sense.

I didn't get any prehistoric man questions and it only took me 70 minutes of the 120 allocated to complete the exam.

I used IC, DSST practice exams, and finishcollegefast.com study guide but don't go off their advertisement that they are all you need for any exam, use all three and you should be fine.

No sense in repeating what everyone else has already said. On to the next in my pursuit of a college free life. By the way has anyone noticed that the DSST exams are much easier than the CLEP ones were?
[SIZE="4"]Congrats and Great Review!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Congratulations!
Very nice.....thanks xn85turbo!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 739 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 672 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,457 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Stressed & Depressed - today’s high school students Vle045 8 1,063 12-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,178 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food -- ISO feedback sammeecat 9 1,913 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,108 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,690 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  DSST Principles of Public Speaking MrsIrie 12 2,887 09-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Last Post: momofminis
  DSST World Religion Exam HELP hjborn@yahoo.com 4 1,344 06-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: hjborn@yahoo.com