Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topics for Capstone
I didn't have Cody but the textbooks were absolutely useless to me. I opened one of them once and it wasn't helpful at that point and I never opened it again
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
rlw74 Wrote:For those who had Dr. Cody, did he require you have the two textbooks? I've been using the OWL website and reading about a dozen papers posted on here. I haven't had any trouble figuring out the structure of the paper. So many have posted they didn't even use the textbooks and unless it's required reading I probably won't either.

Also, did he require that your topic get approved first? I've got one topic I feel pretty confident about writing about, have already done a ton of research on and have started working on the paper but I don't know how far I should go since he might not approve the topic. I was thinking about putting together a back up plan too of course but just wondered how much I should stress about that.

Also, can assignments be turned in early with the online option?

I'm not sure about turning assignments in early because his comments on the prior week help guide the next one. It might be fine though.

For our class he wanted to help guide the topic, but you'll likely be able to use whatever you have already picked out.

I did all the reading assignments in Writing the Winning Thesis, and actually found some of them useful. I think it also gives a vision for what your Master's thesis will be built like. I took the advice from the forum and did not buy the other book.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Same with me. I read the assignments in Writing the Winning Thesis and found them helpful. I quickly learned NOT to read the parts he didn't assign, however. The rest of the book could easily knock someone off track. Never cracked the other one. He will ask you to come up with three topics as the first blogging assignment and it was a useful exercise for me. I did NOT end up using the topic I had come into the course wanting to do. The questions flowed so much better for the topic I ended up choosing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Has anyone used a 2nd edition vs the 3rd edition for the Writing a Winning Thesis book? 2nd Edition is a couple of dollars vs. the $30+ for the 3rd edition.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
rlw74 Wrote:Has anyone used a 2nd edition vs the 3rd edition for the Writing a Winning Thesis book? 2nd Edition is a couple of dollars vs. the $30+ for the 3rd edition.

Even though there are readings listed for the class there are no assignments that require specifics from the text. The mentor I have now expects you to know and reference the concepts from the text in your discussion posts (like understanding what a primary source is, the purpose of a literature review, and the different types of methodologies), but I would assume the concepts are going to be identical in both editions. I would suspect the earlier edition will serve you just fine.
rlw74 Wrote:Has anyone used a 2nd edition vs the 3rd edition for the Writing a Winning Thesis book? 2nd Edition is a couple of dollars vs. the $30+ for the 3rd edition.

APA has changed a little, which of course may be reflected on the Owl, etc. Not sure how different the 2nd vs 3rd edition would be.

I don't know, to me the Capstone was really important, and in the big scheme of things, $30 is really very inexpensive for a text book (especially since I had taken so many CC classes and paid $150+ for required books multiple times).

I personally didn't want to take a chance in the Capstone class to save a few dollars. While I had no qualms about buying older editions for TECEPS and SL courses, for the Writing a Winning Thesis book, I made sure I bought the edition required.

But that's just me.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
I was kind of thinking the same thing last night. $30 isn't very much in the scheme of things. I've just heard so many people say they didn't even use the textbook. But I know you had the same mentor so I'll stick with your advice mamasaphire. It makes sense. And someday maybe I'll need the book anyway as I want to pursue a master's degree. I'll order it today.

I've been pouring over the OWL website and reviewing the MLA and APA formats. I'm hoping he lets me use the MLA format because it fits my paper better (I'm hoping to do a language studies project). But I'm not even sure how MLA fits the Module format of the course. I know other people have used it for history papers but I'm almost thinking a traditional APA format would be easier. I already have half a dozen sample APA papers. I'm still kicking around a lot of topics but am not married to any one because I don't know what he will approve.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
rlw74 Wrote:I was kind of thinking the same thing last night. $30 isn't very much in the scheme of things. I've just heard so many people say they didn't even use the textbook. But I know you had the same mentor so I'll stick with your advice mamasaphire. It makes sense. And someday maybe I'll need the book anyway as I want to pursue a master's degree. I'll order it today.

I've been pouring over the OWL website and reviewing the MLA and APA formats. I'm hoping he lets me use the MLA format because it fits my paper better (I'm hoping to do a language studies project). But I'm not even sure how MLA fits the Module format of the course. I know other people have used it for history papers but I'm almost thinking a traditional APA format would be easier. I already have half a dozen sample APA papers. I'm still kicking around a lot of topics but am not married to any one because I don't know what he will approve.

I can't remember, he may have let someone use MLA during my class term. My main reservation with asking to use MLA is that if APA is the prof's *preferred* format, he may lean toward that in grading without even realizing it (not saying that would happen, just thinking out loud). And you are right, there are more samples available for APA.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,300 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,735 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,669 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,976 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,805 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,541 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,794 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,623 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Just finished my Lib Arts Capstone at TESU jsh1138 32 6,153 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Last Post: jsh1138