Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work experience
On the 2019-2020, the catalog states that for a student to be admitted in the YourPace programme requires the student to have at least 2 years work experience. However, on the 2021-2022 catalog, it simply states "Prior college and/or work experience is required for admission into the YourPace programs". I currently have 1 year and 8 months of post high-school work experience, does anyone have any idea of how strongly the "post high-school work experience" is enforced and would I be admitted. (I have met all the academic requirements)
As long as your age is at least 20, I don't think they care about your actual work experience.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Application is free, you can apply and see what they say. I don't think it would be too much of an issue, as long as you have the bulk of the application requirements, you should be fine.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You need to be 20 years old. Work experience isn't really an issue. The age of the applicant is more of the issue. They do not accept students who aren't at least 20 years old.
(06-20-2022, 02:10 AM)diaosteve Wrote: On the 2019-2020, the catalog states that for a student to be admitted in the YourPace programme requires the student to have at least 2 years work experience. However, on the 2021-2022 catalog, it simply states "Prior college and/or work experience is required for admission into the YourPace programs". I currently have 1 year and 8 months of post high-school work experience, does anyone have any idea of how strongly the "post high-school work experience" is enforced and would I be admitted. (I have met all the academic requirements)

The work requirement in the most recent catalog (2021-2022) doesn't include a minimum amount of time but uses the word "some." To me, 1 year and 8 months certainly qualifies as "some." So, you should be fine. The final decision will, of course, be up to UMPI admissions.

It should also be noted the minimum age appears to be 24 years old for YourPace rather than 20. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....4&poid=350

Not sure if the age requirement will affect you, but I wanted to mention it just in case.
(06-20-2022, 09:10 PM)caledonia Wrote: The work requirement in the most recent catalog (2021-2022) doesn't include a minimum amount of time but uses the word "some." To me, 1 year and 8 months certainly qualifies as "some." So, you should be fine. The final decision will, of course, be up to UMPI admissions.

It should also be noted the minimum age appears to be 24 years old for YourPace rather than 20. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....4&poid=350

Not sure if the age requirement will affect you, but I wanted to mention it just in case.

It says:

Participants should be 24 or older, have the equivalent of a high school diploma, and some prior college credit and/or work experience.

Should is the key word. In the past they have not accepted students under 20. You definitely need a high school diploma or GED.
I haven't verified, but I recall it's just 20 years of age for admissions to YourPace. But a previous post I had replied to shows my answers at 20 and was confirmed by another moderator. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...t-20-or-24

(06-20-2022, 11:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I haven't verified, but I recall it's just 20 years of age for admissions to YourPace.  But a previous post I had replied to shows my answers at 20 and was confirmed by another moderator.  Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...t-20-or-24

With all due respect, none of us here are the final arbiters of UMPI admission policies. I quoted the most recent UMPI catalog where it specifically referenced the YourPace program. I actually graduated from YourPace, but the age or work experience requirements weren't potential issues for me.

Have people younger than 24 attended and graduated from YourPace in the past? Absolutely. Will they make exceptions in the future? Perhaps. But there are no guarantees. As we've all seen on this board, universities change policies, or choose to enforce policies they previously hadn't seemed to care about, without warning. I prefer to err on the side of caution rather than relying on anecdotal evidence about exceptions to official university policies stated in the current course catalog.

OP should contact UMPI directly and inquire about their current admissions policies re: work experience and, if applicable, age.
(06-21-2022, 12:02 AM)caledonia Wrote: With all due respect, none of us here are the final arbiters of UMPI admission policies. I quoted the most recent UMPI catalog where it specifically referenced the YourPace program. I actually graduated from YourPace, but the age or work experience requirements weren't potential issues for me.

Have people younger than 24 attended and graduated from YourPace in the past? Absolutely. Will they make exceptions in the future? Perhaps. But there are no guarantees. As we've all seen on this board, universities change policies, or choose to enforce policies they previously hadn't seemed to care about, without warning. I prefer to err on the side of caution rather than relying on anecdotal evidence about exceptions to official university policies stated in the current course catalog.

OP should contact UMPI directly and inquire about their current admissions policies re: work experience and, if applicable, age.

There have been people on here who were under 20 who contacted UMPI and were denied admission. I was never asked about my work experience at all for admission to UMPI.
bjcheung77 Wrote:Application is free, you can apply and see what they say. I don't think it would be too much of an issue, as long as you have the bulk of the application requirements, you should be fine.

Yes, and to add, when you apply and see something that you may or may not have requirements for, ask their admissions or advising team at the institution, an easy email or quick call would work wonders.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finished MAOL! (Great experience!) larabell 28 3,895 02-21-2024, 01:31 PM
Last Post: ED TO CYBERTECH
  My Experience in Lea Allen's ENG 151 course Kal Di 5 1,208 02-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: hithere
  How does adding another class work? Marlin9276 4 362 02-02-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Felt a bit unhappy with my UMPI application experience kaa314 9 986 12-27-2023, 12:24 AM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Credit from Work Experience oraibihm 8 676 08-20-2023, 12:44 PM
  How is the UMPI experience? HappyPeanut 17 2,244 05-04-2023, 06:07 AM
Last Post: Sylvia Yang
  How long would you need to work for 30 credits on UMPI? ecdw94 7 1,670 04-02-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: joshua27
  Anyone have experience on reevaluating business courses from Faculty members? twy2024 10 1,219 03-16-2023, 11:09 AM
Last Post: twy2024
  UMPI Financial Aid experience EducationSeeker 4 1,308 08-23-2022, 02:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How does grading actually work? Lingo55 6 975 08-01-2022, 10:35 AM