Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total Cost of UMPI Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Hello Degree Forum Board Members,

I apologize if this question has been answered as I have been trying to do my own research before asking questions, but, I was wondering what is the current total price of a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from UMPI starting from scratch? My son has almost 30 RA credits from attending college locally for about 1.5 years. So, we are considering him finishing at either UMPI or TESU. It appears that provided he is maximizing the value of a flat rate on tuition and taking the most courses possible in 1 or 2 sessions/semesters, that the Business Administration Bachelor's' degree from UMPI would be the cheapest option at about $3000-4000 (or less). 

I would be recommending him to take the maximum amount of LL and UL courses from sources like Sophia, Study.com, Davar for the first 90 credits and then he would have to complete the remaining 30 credit hours required for the Bachelor's degree in Business over a 3-6 month period.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
Sophia is the best option for UMPI. Then he would need a lab science which we suggest taking on Study.com along with American Government on InstantCert.

1 session at UMPI is $1400

He would need to pick one of the degrees at UMPI and follow the degree plan on here for it. Same for TESU.
First, UMPI has 8-week terms, not semesters. Most people are completing the 30cr of residency (mostly of the major) at UMPI in 2-3 terms. That would be $2800-$4200. But he could go ham on everything and do it in a single term for $1400. At least one person here has done that.

Second, for the remaining credits, it really depends on where you get credit, and those costs can fluctuate wildly. For instance, if you decide to do CLEP/ModernStates for a bunch of credits, those are free. If you opt for Saylor, each exam is $5. If you go with Sophia, it depends on how quickly you can get through courses, and which plan you choose. If you do Study.com, you may find a discount code, or do more than 2 exams in a month.

It also depends on which courses your son has completed as to how much it will cost. For instance, if he already has a lab science, then that negates the necessity of taking that elsewhere, and it's a fairly expensive option even at Study.com (relatively speaking of course). If his GEC is completed, then he can opt to fill the Free Electives with THE cheapest options out there (CLEP). But if there are lots of specific courses he needs to do, then he's going to have to spend more to find the courses he needs for his degree.

But, I can almost guarantee you that UMPI will be cheaper than TESU, if only for the fact that at TESU, you'll need to bring in 114cr, while at UMPI you'll only need to bring in 90cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@EducationSeeker, review my signature for the wiki page. You should create a spreadsheet template for the institutions you're interested in. Essentially, all the courses are mapped out for you with the wiki pages, you just need to determine the pricing by adding the providers into your spreadsheet and the costs for each course. Once done, you'll have a complete spreadsheet with multiple sheets for each school and the dollar amounts associated with each. It's up to you to decide which provider would be best for you, the wiki is just the recommended ones!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-22-2022, 02:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Sophia is the best option for UMPI. Then he would need a lab science which we suggest taking on Study.com along with American Government on InstantCert.

1 session at UMPI is $1400

He would need to pick one of the degrees at UMPI and follow the degree plan on here for it. Same for TESU.

@ss20ts

I need to do some more research on LL and UL provider costs to make the most economical vs. convenient choice for my son and it also sounds like 1 session would be on the more ambitious side to complete the remaining credits at UMPI, but, a potential cost of $1400 for 1 UMPI session plus a rough estimate for what I am guessing is about $500-1000 extra for service providers making my son's remaining total bachelor's degree cost be potentially (based on his effort and time maximization) be around low end $1500-2000 to higher end of between $2000-3000 an outstanding value. If I pay full price for him for 1 year of community college, the total price is still higher than one year than for him finish his whole degree. 

I will utilize the UMPI degree plans ( I know Askir had one for a Bachelor's in Business) and TESU.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
(06-22-2022, 05:17 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: I need to do some more research on LL and UL provider costs to make the most economical vs. convenient choice for my son and it also sounds like 1 session would be on the more ambitious side to complete the remaining credits at UMPI, but, a potential cost of $1400 for 1 UMPI session plus a rough estimate for what I am guessing is about $500-1000 extra for service providers making my son's remaining total bachelor's degree cost be potentially (based on his effort and time maximization) be around low end $1500-2000 to higher end of between $2000-3000 an outstanding value. If I pay full price for him for 1 year of community college, the total price is still higher than one year than for him finish his whole degree. 

I will utilize the UMPI degree plans ( I know Askir had one for a Bachelor's in Business) and TESU.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

Community college would be significantly slower. I have 2 associate degrees from in person classes at community colleges and it felt like they took forever. One of the things I liked about UMPI was that a session was only 8 weeks long so even if I dragged my feet on a course it would all be over soon unlike a 15 week based semester program. For LL's Sophia is the way to go and they will have everything for the GEC except the lab science and American Government. UL's are found on Study.com. They have many that transfer to UMPI. Keep in mind that he will need to complete at least 30 credits at UMPI. Some classes like Eng Comp I suggest people take at UMPI. American Government is also an easy class at UMPI if someone wants to earn an easy A to boost their GPA. UMPI doesn't have any additional fees. It's $1400 per session. No books needed. It's all included on the learning platform. Did you say he had some community college courses already?
(06-22-2022, 05:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-22-2022, 05:17 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: I need to do some more research on LL and UL provider costs to make the most economical vs. convenient choice for my son and it also sounds like 1 session would be on the more ambitious side to complete the remaining credits at UMPI, but, a potential cost of $1400 for 1 UMPI session plus a rough estimate for what I am guessing is about $500-1000 extra for service providers making my son's remaining total bachelor's degree cost be potentially (based on his effort and time maximization) be around low end $1500-2000 to higher end of between $2000-3000 an outstanding value. If I pay full price for him for 1 year of community college, the total price is still higher than one year than for him finish his whole degree. 

Thanks,

Education Seeker

Community college would be significantly slower. I have 2 associate degrees from in person classes at community colleges and it felt like they took forever. One of the things I liked about UMPI was that a session was only 8 weeks long so even if I dragged my feet on a course it would all be over soon unlike a 15 week based semester program. For LL's Sophia is the way to go and they will have everything for the GEC except the lab science and American Government. UL's are found on Study.com. They have many that transfer to UMPI. Keep in mind that he will need to complete at least 30 credits at UMPI. Some classes like Eng Comp I suggest people take at UMPI. American Government is also an easy class at UMPI if someone wants to earn an easy A to boost their GPA. UMPI doesn't have any additional fees. It's $1400 per session. No books needed. It's all included on the learning platform. Did you say he had some community college courses already?

@ss20ts

While it is not community college, he has traditional 4 year college credits from Youngstown State University and he already has 28 credit hours. Do you know if UMPI will accept a "D" grade? I know TESU  potentially does, but, I wasn't sure about UMPI's transfer policy.
(06-22-2022, 05:30 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: @ss20ts

While it is not community college, he has traditional 4 year college credits from Youngstown State University and he already has 28 credit hours. Do you know if UMPI will accept a "D" grade? I know TESU  potentially does, but, I wasn't sure about UMPI's transfer policy.

UMPI accepts C- and above. They don't accept D's. What courses does he have? Are they all from YSU? Feel free to send me a PM and I'll look in the transfer database to see if they've transferred to UMPI.
(06-22-2022, 05:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Thanks,

Education Seeker

@ss20ts

Since you mention that you would advise someone to *not* take the lab science requirement at Sophia, would you recommend my son take it at Study.com? Another poster had recommended that he could take Biology 101L (lab course) through Study.com relatively quickly in like under 1 month. Would you agree that BIO101L would be a good course to take through Study.com at UMPI? Will UMPI permit *any* Science Lab class (like Weather)? My son did take the Weather class and still has to take the lab. The lab is 15 weeks which is a comparatively long time compared to under 1 month for the lab class.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
(06-22-2022, 11:16 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: Since you mention that you would advise someone to *not* take the lab science requirement at Sophia, would you recommend my son take it at Study.com? Another poster had recommended that he could take Biology 101L (lab course) through Study.com relatively quickly in like under 1 month. Would you agree that BIO101L would be a good course to take through Study.com at UMPI? Will UMPI permit *any* Science Lab class (like Weather)? My son did take the Weather class and still has to take the lab. The lab is 15 weeks which is a comparatively long time compared to under 1 month for the lab class.

Sophia doesn't have a lab science course, so that's why Study.com is suggested.  The good thing with taking it at SDC is that you pay for a month, and take the Bio 101 course; then you have 4 months (?) to take the virtual lab.  So you could do the Bio and 1 other course, then do the lab.

I think UMPI will permit any science w/lab, as long as it's from the same school (so you can't take weather from school A and then the Weather lab from school B).  But 15 weeks is pretty long.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,423 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 277 Yesterday, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 166 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 158 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 214 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 365 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 846 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 264 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,428 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 198 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87