Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total cost of a Psycology degree?
davewill Wrote:Maybe you can have your cake and eat it to. Use the credits you have now for an AAS from WVNCC, use that at WGU to clear all the GenEds, get the BSIT, then to TESU for the Psych degree.

Unfortunately, it's not a guarantee that WGU will take an AAS as a block transfer - only an AA or AS. But it's definitely worth a shot.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
theonlyski Wrote:Interesting, I wasn't thinking that TESU would do the block transfer in. Luckily I haven't done any of the AOS for Psych yet, guess I'll apply and see how the courses I've already taken at Straighterline transfer in. Currently I'm right at the half way point for the TESU degree 61/120 (haven't gotten the cornerstone waived yet).

One of the things I based my plan on was that you are starting from scratch. Obviously, if you already have 61cr completed, that changes things.

I think I would just plan out finishing the TESU Psych degree first, then getting the BSIT, and the do a separate plan for the opposite, and see which was is faster/cheaper/easier.

If you tell me your credits, I can give you a plan for the Psych degree.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:If you tell me your credits, I can give you a plan for the Psych degree.

On my TESU eval, I have:

Course/Section and Title Grade Credits
CIS-344 Computer Security CR 2.00
MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra CR 3.00
STA-201 Principles of Statistics CR 3.00
MAT-129 Precalculus CR 3.00
PHI-384 Ethics & Business Professional CR 2.00
MAT-121 College Algebra CR 3.00
AVF-111 Private Pilot Ground CR 3.00
AVF-113 Private Pilot Flight II CR 3.00
AVF-121 Private Pilot Airplane Flight CR 3.00
AVF-212 Commercial Pilot Ground B CR 4.00
AVF-213 Instrument Pilot Ground CR 4.00
AVF-221 Commercial Pilot Air Flight A CR 4.00
AVF-225 Instrument Pilot Air Flight CR 4.00
AVF-411 Airline Transport Pilot Ground CR 4.00 (Not sure why they gave me this, I don't have an ATP certificate, but I am not planning on using the credit)
AVF-421 ATP Air Flight CR 6.00 (Same)
MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Mathemati B 3.00
PEA-199 Special Topics in Physical Ed CR 3.00
ELC-201 Electronic Commn Systems CR 3.00
ELC-398 Other Military Electron Commun CR 2.00
MSC-199 Spec. Stud. in Slected Topics CR 1.00
ELD-302 Digital Electronics CR 1.00
ELE-211 DC Circuits CR 3.00
ELE-212 AC Circuits CR 1.00
ELM-171 Diagnosis & Troubleshooting CR 3.00
ELT-102 Basic Electronics Lab CR 3.00
ELT-306 Solid State Devices & Circuits CR 1.00
HEA-195 First Aid CR 1.00
MSC-131 Marksmanship CR 2.00
PEA-199 Spec. Stud. in Selected Topics CR 2.00

Total Earned Credits

Since that time, I've completed from Straighterline:
REL101 Introduction to Religion
POLS101 American Government
USHIST101 United States History I
USHIST102 United States History II
IT101 Computer Concepts and Applications

I am further enrolled in these courses at SL:
CJ101 Intro to Criminal Justice (not yet started)
SOC101 Introduction to Sociology (not yet started)
ENG101 English Comp 1 (I am about 75% done with this course)

Here's the plan I have made up:
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">College.xlsx (Size: 21.51 KB / Downloads: 1)
White is unscheduled/not enrolled
Green is complete (and shows up as that requirement in the TESU eval)
Yellow is complete but not yet added by TESU
Orange is enrolled and in progress

Looking at the WGU transfer map (here: https://partners.wgu.edu/TransferGuideli...curity.pdf ), my current Cisco certifications (CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP) should get me 29 CU in addition to anything listed above.

Thanks!
Well, it's kind of a toss-up, since you're so far into the TESU Psych degree. Either way is almost exactly the same cost, because you're already so close to finishing your Gen Ed's at TESU and WGU - and you need English Comp II & Oral Comm for both.

So if it's going to cost the same exact amount whichever way you do it, I would then try to decide which is the more important degree. Because if life gets in the way, you want to make sure that you have one of those is completed.

You also want to know if something will make your costs go up dramatically in some unforeseen (or unplanned for) event. The first is if Study.com does not get the courses you need ACE-approved. History & Systems and Physiological Psych can be gotten via Coopersmith, so you're ok there. But, Ethics in the Social Sciences will cost you $1500 if you can't get it at Study.com. On the flip side, the Study.com affiliate membership discount is set to expire next year, which will cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 - the current savings of $700 off the $2500 fee, may go down to $250 savings when the current contract expires and it switches back to an actual 10% discount. Hopefully the waiver of the cornerstone course will stay in effect, because that's worth $300.

So, I think your best bet is to figure out which degree will benefit you more now, and go for that one.
Ideas Wrote:What psychology credits do you already have?

I believe TESU (with special pricing) is $1800 for residency waiver, $75 Application fee, $1497 Capstone, and $323 graduation and most of that you can pay at the end. But then you need the courses. You can get lots of cheap credits at Shmoop, ALEKS, etc for Gen Ed requirements and then I'm not sure about what psychology courses/exams you still need.

So your current degree is not from TESU?

COSC is probably cheaper for Psych if you use the Psych GRE and get a high enough score.
This isnt expensive Smile
Ideas Wrote:This seems correct to me. I think under $6000 is possible too, especially at COSC, or for someone starting with a variety of Gen Ed credits.

I'm thinking that spending over $8000 is kind of wasting money, unless it's because someone is trying for a GPA or school with better name recognition. I think even with going more slowly, $8000 is around the cost.
bjcheung77 Wrote:Those CEGEP degree's (3 year) will be recognized as two year associates degrees. You will need to get an evaluation done at one of the agencies.
You're pretty much half way "or more" towards a degree in anything actually, it will be less than $10g for you, and maybe even less than $6 grand USD.
It's not the time that will cost the $, it's where you take your courses that will cost "less or more". For more info, See this thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...e-get.html
dfrecore Wrote:So, with your Canadian degree/courses, you are well on your way to this, possibly with less than half the courses left to take. That would knock about 60 credits and $2000 off the cost right there, but it could easily be more.
Your first and most important step is to get your degree evaluated by one of the companies that does this, and then apply at TESU and COSC. We can help more after you get through that part, because it's impossible to tell you what to do until you know what you have already.
That is really good news! I had no idea my past CEGEP degree could be used as credits. That's a nice surprise.

I'll be reading more and looking at organizing this. I have a whole bunch of other things to take care of first, but knowing that getting this degree is possible is really motivating—and at half the time and cost that I initially thought!

Thanks a lot for the help!
bjcheung77 Wrote:Those CEGEP degree's (3 year) will be recognized as two year associates degrees. You will need to get an evaluation done at one of the agencies.
You're pretty much half way "or more" towards a degree in anything actually, it will be less than $10g for you, and maybe even less than $6 grand USD.
It's not the time that will cost the $, it's where you take your courses that will cost "less or more". For more info, See this thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...e-get.html
bjcheung, just to be sure about this to not get too happy, do you know any people from Quebec or heard people from Quebec converting their CEGEP credits? The Quebec education system is really weird/unique—I don't know if it would be considered as credits..
Kev Wrote:bjcheung, just to be sure about this to not get too happy, do you know any people from Quebec or heard people from Quebec converting their CEGEP credits? The Quebec education system is really weird/unique—I don't know if it would be considered as credits..

Yes there are options for you. The agencies available for evaluating your credentials will make the recommendations.
Get them to send the evaluations to the schools of your choice and decide on the degree after seeing what goes where.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
jsd Wrote:Yeah I remember that, I just didn't realize it that it was such an easy solution as taking two different soc psych classes, one LL and one UL. makes sense of course, I just assumed both provider's courses would come in the same.

I thought that too, but I ended up submitting the ed4credit course anyway to see if they'd accept it, and they said they'd take it as a LL, and it comes in as PSY-237.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 478 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 765 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 950 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 374 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader