Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total cost of a Psycology degree?
Kev Wrote:As a general approximation, and from reading the replies, I'm guessing a psychology degree could cost anywhere from $6000 USD—if well-organized and done rather quickly—to around $10 000 USD if you take more time. Would that be correct?

This seems correct to me. I think under $6000 is possible too, especially at COSC, or for someone starting with a variety of Gen Ed credits.

I'm thinking that spending over $8000 is kind of wasting money, unless it's because someone is trying for a GPA or school with better name recognition. I think even with going more slowly, $8000 is around the cost.

I am no expert in this. I have just been learning because I want a Psych degree.

Kev Wrote:Well, the degrees I currently have are from QuÃbec colleges (Canada)—more accurately called CEGEPs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEGEP). We are obliged to go to CEGEP before we can go to university for an undergraduate. I have 1 technique CEGEP degree (3-year degree) and 2 AECs (diplomas).

Would that possibly count as credits, or they wouldn't be recognized at all?

Those CEGEP degree's (3 year) will be recognized as two year associates degrees. You will need to get an evaluation done at one of the agencies.
You're pretty much half way "or more" towards a degree in anything actually, it will be less than $10g for you, and maybe even less than $6 grand USD.
It's not the time that will cost the $, it's where you take your courses that will cost "less or more". For more info, See this thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...e-get.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Kev
I show the Psych degree from TESU as being $7400, if you were to start with zero credits and take everything for $100/course, and the capstone. This also includes the Study.com affiliate membership, which knocks about $800 off the residency waiver, and gives you a waiver for the $300 capstone course.

So, with your Canadian degree/courses, you are well on your way to this, possibly with less than half the courses left to take. That would knock about 60 credits and $2000 off the cost right there, but it could easily be more.

The set fees that you would have to take would be:

$75 App fee
$1500 Capstone course tuition
$1800 Residency Waiver Fee
$323 Graduation Fee
---------------------
$3698 Total

The rest is just a matter of where and how quickly you get through your courses, and of course how many courses you can bring into the program.

Your first and most important step is to get your degree evaluated by one of the companies that does this, and then apply at TESU and COSC. We can help more after you get through that part, because it's impossible to tell you what to do until you know what you have already.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ideas Wrote:Don't take it at TESU. It's like $1497.

Are you trying to get a business degree and a psych degree?

This is what I got back:

Quote:Thank you for reaching out to us. Currently, we don't have a timeline for this course to become credit recommendation status through the American Council on Education.

If you have any other concerns feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

The Study.com Team

Dang...
Just an FYI... the graduation fee is now $332. I just paid it a couple days ago and noticed it was changed. Not that its a big deal but I'm still seeing it posted all over the forums at the old price. I think it changed in April when the fees went up.

Also, study.com posted on here that the courses are being worked on. They responded back to me that they have no timeline at this point but the courses are being worked on. So, I believe its up to ACE. I wouldn't give up hope on that becoming available within the next year but I also wouldn't delay the degree in the meantime.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
theonlyski Wrote:Planning on the BA-Psychology from TESU and the BS-IT (Security) degree from WGU (basically the exact degrees that jsd either has or is working on).

I've got no specific order in mind other than I was planning on doing the BA first, but it sounds like it may behoove me to swap the order.

I would recommend getting the BA in Psych first, and then the BSIT. Main reason is you can transfer all the general education into the BSIT and also work on a few certs before you do so.

theonlyski Wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I'll reach out to Study.com and see where they are on those courses.

If Study.com doesn't have the course, just take it at the only other option if you can't wait, it maybe a trade off, but you get the credit with Coppersmith.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
theonlyski Wrote:This is what I got back:

Dang...

They will always say that. They have gone through the process on their end, but have no control over how long ACE takes to get the courses evaluated and recommended. But, they have added courses over the last year pretty frequently, and though they won't tell you the date, you can rest assured that they do know what they are doing in terms of creating course content, because ACE has approved things consistently over that time.

AND, when ACE doesn't approve things for what they'd like (only approves what Study.com considers an UL course as LL, or the course only gets approved for 1 or 2 credits), they change it and resubmit, and they have all gotten approved the second time around for 3cr and UL if they wanted that.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
bjcheung77 Wrote:I would recommend getting the BA in Psych first, and then the BSIT. Main reason is you can transfer all the general education into the BSIT and also work on a few certs before you do so.

I think I would do the opposite, and here's why:

- TESU also does a block transfer (if you came in with the BSIT, you would have all of your Gen Ed's cleared, and probably all of your Free Electives - that's 81cr done) - WGU's block transfer would only clear about 30cr.

- You would come to TESU only needing 39cr from the AOS - and even less if Psych was part of the courses you took to get the BSIT.

- At TESU then, you might only need 24 new credits to complete your degree (if you'd previously taken Intro to Psych, Developmental Psych, etc. those would go in the AOS)

The main issue I see with WGU is that their Gen Ed's are a little harder to clear - you need science (or maybe 2) and a lab, and Critical Thinking which is a little harder to find. But it's still only about 30cr, so less expensive than the 60cr you'd need at TESU.
dfrecore Wrote:I think I would do the opposite, and here's why:

- TESU also does a block transfer (if you came in with the BSIT, you would have all of your Gen Ed's cleared, and probably all of your Free Electives - that's 81cr done) - WGU's block transfer would only clear about 30cr.

- You would come to TESU only needing 39cr from the AOS - and even less if Psych was part of the courses you took to get the BSIT.

- At TESU then, you might only need 24 new credits to complete your degree (if you'd previously taken Intro to Psych, Developmental Psych, etc. those would go in the AOS)

The main issue I see with WGU is that their Gen Ed's are a little harder to clear - you need science (or maybe 2) and a lab, and Critical Thinking which is a little harder to find. But it's still only about 30cr, so less expensive than the 60cr you'd need at TESU.

Interesting, I wasn't thinking that TESU would do the block transfer in. Luckily I haven't done any of the AOS for Psych yet, guess I'll apply and see how the courses I've already taken at Straighterline transfer in. Currently I'm right at the half way point for the TESU degree 61/120 (haven't gotten the cornerstone waived yet).
theonlyski Wrote:Interesting, I wasn't thinking that TESU would do the block transfer in. Luckily I haven't done any of the AOS for Psych yet, guess I'll apply and see how the courses I've already taken at Straighterline transfer in. Currently I'm right at the half way point for the TESU degree 61/120 (haven't gotten the cornerstone waived yet).
Maybe you can have your cake and eat it to. Use the credits you have now for an AAS from WVNCC, use that at WGU to clear all the GenEds, get the BSIT, then to TESU for the Psych degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 681 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 286 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 642 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,791 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 575 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 510 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 288 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 872 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,242 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,844 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74