Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcripts for US grad or law programs
Okay, so before I get to my actual question, some background: I’m essentially starting from zero. I started my first ever Sophia course exactly a week ago. I did attempt classes from two universities and a community college when I was 18-21, but due to a fabulous combination of untreated depression, PTSD, and severe undiagnosed ADHD, I more or less bombed those opportunities. I’m now in my 30s, with years of therapy and recently, ADHD meds (which, sidebar, holy crap, LIFE CHANGING). I’m a different person, basically, and I’m encouraged by the drastic difference in my progress now vs when I was 18.

I’m still undecided if my end goal is just to get a BA as quickly as possible or explore further options like grad school or law school. Exploring options all hinge on how US schools treat transcripts, though.

In Canada, schools require you to send transcripts for every course you’ve attempted at every post-secondary institution you’ve been to, no exceptions, for both grad programs and law school. I know there are personal essays included in a grad school application where I can explain my circumstances, but on a personal level, this feels extremely demoralizing.

Do grad programs and/or law schools in the US generally require the same? Or do they primarily care about your last 60 graded, RA credits? I looked on LSAC, and from my understanding of the wording, they only require all transcripts from attempts of other graduate level courses and programs. I really don’t want to have to deal with and pay for transcripts from my youth, especially if it’s going to negatively affect my application.

I realize this is definitely a ‘counting my chickens before they hatch’ thing, since I’ve only completed 24 out my 54 planned Sophia credits so far, but I like planning and weighing all of my available options.

Plus, determining my eligibility for US grad programs and law schools has a direct effect on my plans for September, as it opens up possibilities for other schools like TESU and COSC vs UMPI. I’m also open to UK postgrad programs, though probably nowhere else in Europe.

Thank you in advance! This forum has been such an invaluable resource, and I’m so, so grateful.
It all depends on the school. Some only care about the last 60 credits. Some require transcripts for every course you've ever taken. If you want to become a lawyer definitely check out your county's requirement for where you have to attend law school.
(06-21-2021, 12:52 AM)ss20ts Wrote: It all depends on the school. Some only care about the last 60 credits. Some require transcripts for every course you've ever taken. If you want to become a lawyer definitely check out your county's requirement for where you have to attend law school.
Thank you! Honestly, “it depends on the school,” may be good enough for me to consider my options past a BA (and thus retooling my degree and school plan). It’s certainly better than the no exceptions rule that’s virtually universal in Canada, bar open admission schools like Athabasca and TRU, probably.
Just as a side note, if those schools were in the US then you're going to have to send those transcripts to whatever undergrad school you're planning to attend now. They will be on your transcript anyway. If they were not in the US, you can ignore them.

I would highly recommend doing UMPI because they are inexpensive GRADED credits and the grading could be important for law school/graduate school.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Flelm
(06-21-2021, 07:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Just as a side note, if those schools were in the US then you're going to have to send those transcripts to whatever undergrad school you're planning to attend now. They will be on your transcript anyway. If they were not in the US, you can ignore them.

I would highly recommend doing UMPI because they are inexpensive GRADED credits and the grading could be important for law school/graduate school.

Nope, the schools were here in Canada!

And yeah, UMPI is still my top choice. I figured even if I didn't accelerate and only did 3-4 courses per term to give me more time with the material and maximize my GPA, it still works out to be cheaper per course vs any major university in Canada (not to mention, it's still faster). I'll probably still at least look into TESU and COSC to see what the pricing looks like, but I've already applied to UMPI to get the process started. I plan on completing 60 credits wherever I end up, so I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything with regards to cost!
[-] The following 1 user Likes canuckian's post:
  • rachel83az
(06-21-2021, 09:20 AM)canuckian Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 07:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Just as a side note, if those schools were in the US then you're going to have to send those transcripts to whatever undergrad school you're planning to attend now. They will be on your transcript anyway. If they were not in the US, you can ignore them.

Nope, the schools were here in Canada!

And yeah, UMPI is still my top choice. I figured even if I didn't accelerate and only did 3-4 courses per term to give me more time with the material and maximize my GPA, it still works out to be cheaper per course vs any major university in Canada (not to mention, it's still faster). I'll probably still at least look into TESU and COSC to see what the pricing looks like, but I've already applied to UMPI to get the process started. I plan on completing 60 credits wherever I end up, so I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything with regards to cost!

I think UMPI is definitely your best bet.  You might also want to think about doing some classes through TEL and ONU as well, while you're doing some Sophia courses - that will allow you to get some additional graded credits.  But for sure, you should limit Sophia/Study courses to 60cr max.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-21-2021, 09:46 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I think UMPI is definitely your best bet.  You might also want to think about doing some classes through TEL and ONU as well, while you're doing some Sophia courses - that will allow you to get some additional graded credits.  But for sure, you should limit Sophia/Study courses to 60cr max.

Thank you for mentioning TEL and ONU! I'm taking a look at them now, and pending transferability, I think I'll take a few of the GenEd and elective courses I was planning on taking at Sophia and InstantCert through them instead for the graded credits. Much appreciated!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,283 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 4 355 02-24-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 390 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 520 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,270 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,407 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,650 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Masters-level CBE programs EverSpinning 5 1,421 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any Master programs similar to UMPI? Ebroady23 6 1,341 10-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: xspect