Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer 33 Graduate Credits - Excelsior MPA
(11-25-2017, 07:09 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: If a MPA is what you want I would shop around for cheaper tuition unless of course you have excellent tuition assistance. I am doing my MPA at Arkansas State U online with tuition at $294 an hour compared to Excelsior at $645 if my quick glance at their website is accurate.  I can't understand how a situation would occur to where someone would almost complete a full MPA program just to transfer to Excelsior. Also, Excelsior is not NASPAA accredited which could affect your chances at internships or some jobs in governments if that is a concern.  Not to slam Excelsior but there are cheaper perhaps better options out there. 

Check out this list:

I agree with going with a cheaper, NASPAA-accredited program. It wouldn't make sense to start at a cheap school and then transfer to Excelsior. Transferring in this many credits is only worth it if you somehow already have training evaluated at the graduate level in public administration, which would be rare. IACBE accreditation almost has no worth when it comes to public administration, so I don't know why this keeps getting used as selling point.
TxState - PhD CJ (ABD)
Angelo - Master of Security Studies & Grad Cert Terrorism
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
Int Alg, Coll Alg
4 credits
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-20-2017, 11:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
oMegatron Wrote:This is awesome. I will definitely check out Hodges, I love the competency based model. Thanks!

I noticed you're almost done with your MBA from WGU.  Is MPA necessary?  It's mainly for individuals wanting to be working in the public sector.  What is your final goal?  If you are going to get an MPA, both Excelsior and Hodges are IACBE accredited.  

Even though you can transfer so many credits into the MPA at Excelsior, I think the Upower program at Hodges might be a better fit for you since you'll be somewhat familiar with the competency-based degree models, probably cheaper/easier/faster.

For more info on Hodges and their program see my posting here about them:

Thanks for the information. I was just surprised that any graduate level program would allow the transfer of 33 hours! I have never heard of anything like this.  Yes. I am completing the MBA Capstone at WGU now and will be done with the program in the next few weeks.  An MPA is not necessary but prior to enrolling in the MBA program at WGU, I took some graduate-level coursework in Public Policy at my brick and mortar, so if I could get another degree, from taking two classes, why not! Really, I just wanted to spread the information, if anyone was indeed interested. Thanks for the response.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oMegatron's post:
  • High_Order1
(11-14-2017, 07:05 AM)oMegatron Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 06:46 AM)Ideas Wrote: Most of the graduate courses like VESi and Sophia are for education degrees. I don't think we know of any non-education degrees where you do a real chunk of the degree in that way.

However, you can do an MPA through a competency program like Hodges. They charge $3500 per term for an unlimited amount. If someone goes fast, they might be able to do it in 1 term.

This is awesome. I will definitely check out Hodges, I love the competency based model. Thanks!

If you COULD get your credits done at Hodges, why wouldn't you graduate from Hodges? What would be the advantage of transferring to EC at that point?
10-year member

The dream is free.  Hard work sold separately.  

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
Homeschooling for College Credit (book)
I am curious. Has anyone actually been able to get the MPA at Hodges done within the 6 months of a single term?
(12-22-2017, 08:53 AM)eriehiker Wrote: I am curious. Has anyone actually been able to get the MPA at Hodges done within the 6 months of a single term?

Yup, a husband, and a wife team did the MPA, each of them finished in a term. I wonder who has done the MIS within 1 term.
See my post on them -
Up Next: NationsU, BRS & MTS (Waiting for WGU MSML & MBA to get ACBSP)
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)

2018 BSBA General Management Spreadsheet (using mainly SL/
DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki

Review Beginners Guide sticky for Quick info on TESU BALS/BSBA Bachelors Degree in 1200 hours (120 days or 4 months)
Note: Read the entire Wiki guide to review TESU equivalency course list & links for CLEP/DSST/SL/, etc
(12-22-2017, 08:41 AM)cookderosa Wrote: If you COULD get your credits done at Hodges, why wouldn't you graduate from Hodges?  What would be the advantage of transferring to EC at that point?

IIRC, EC is a state university whilst Hodges is private. That might be one way to sort of launder your credits into something with a better pedigree.

EDIT: Was incorrect, as pointed out by JSD. Leaving post to ensure clarity.
BS Information Technology - Security, Western Governors University, 2017. Journey thread here.
AAS Information Systems Cybersecurity, CC, 2017
AAS Computer Networking, CC, 2017

Certifications: A+, Linux+, Project+, CCNA, CCNA: Security, and CCNP

Community College (79cr):
College Algebra (4), Comp I (3), Intro to Speech Comm. (3), Federal Govt (3), Intro to Humanities (3), IT Courses (63)
WGU (35cr): IT Foundations (4), IT Applications (4), Project Management (4), Principles of Management (4), Spreadsheets (3), Database Management (4), Operating Systems I (4), Operating Systems II (4), Capstone (4)
StraighterLine (9cr): Org. Behavior (3), Business Stat (3), English Comp. II (3)
ALEKS (18cr): [Beginning, Intermediate, & College] Algebra (9), Trigonometry (3), PreCalculus (3), Intro to Stats (3)
Free Courses (8cr): Ethics 312, Cyber 101, Cyber 301, Developing Effective Teams, Essentials of Managing Conflict
EC is a private non-profit.

Not that it really matters, would anyone really want some private non-profit university like Harvard over the much more prestigious state University that is TESU?? Wink
Working on: BS IT-Sec, WGU (117/123 CUs complete)
Certs: CCNA, CCENT, Linux+, LPIC-1, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+, CIW SDA
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016
AA Sociology, community college, 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you guys think of graduate certificates? leland.kirk 11 275 1 hour ago
Last Post: Ideas
  PA school with an Excelsior B.S. in Science in Liberal Arts drashrafaziz 11 268 6 hours ago
Last Post: cookderosa
  CSU-Chico: Multidisciplinary PD Credits for Educators eriehiker 1 147 03-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Last Post: High_Order1
  Utah Teachers: $21 Graduate Credits eriehiker 5 281 03-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Brandman/Bloomboard Graduate Ed. PD Credits eriehiker 2 568 03-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Last Post: fingerscrossedx2
  Graduate Credit for Coaches eriehiker 11 641 03-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  graduate funding sources High_Order1 10 413 02-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  MOOCs vs Graduate Certificates rlw74 11 609 02-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Are Credits on COSC/Excelsior Registries Accepted by other Universities? eriehiker 1 104 02-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Last Post: davewill
  For Teachers - Capella Freebies or $50/Quarter Credits bjcheung77 3 252 02-02-2018, 07:09 PM