Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer Excelsior College Credits to Another college
Hello everyone, im trying to get into college but trying to get my degree as soon as possible...i was wondering about how to go about it....you take to some clep test right...then turn them into college credits at excelsior...then you can either get your degree there right. Also..... can you transfer those college credits earned, to another college or instituion like UIC?....if there is a problem, would the problem be that 1. excelsior credits are not widely accepted or 2. The institution ( UIC ) does not allow the transfer of certain credits? .. Thank you guys for your time, hope you can answer my questions...thanks...
You don't need to turn CLEP test results into college credits. Each college evaluates CLEP/DSST/AP/examination credits individually, so credits that one college grants you will generally not be transferred. Instead, the college will evaluate your CLEP tests individually. Many colleges limit the number of credits they will grant on the basis of testing out of courses, and they can also choose whether or not they accept particular exams. For example, my local university only grants a non-lab 3 credit intro to biology for non-science majors credit for the CLEP Biology exam, even though ACE recommends 6 credits. That same university also limits the number of credits they will accept from exams to 24. Your best bet is to figure out what university you want to go to, and take as many tests as they will give you credit for. Alternatively, go with a school that doesn't limit transfer/test credits, like Excelsior, TESC, or COSC. In the meantime, you don't need to be admitted into a college to take exams. You can accumulate test results now and submit them to a university at a later date.
I don't know what UIC is, but if they are a Regionally accredited college they should take any credits you get from Excelsior itself because it is also a RA college. Most of us here try to get our degree from one of the big three if they want to do it through testing out. They are the only colleges that will give credit for about 90% of your degree..
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Cleps are not "turn[ed] into college credit at excelsior" through an evaluation. What you are really asking is whether another college is obligated to assign the same credit in the exact manner as another school. The answer is clearly-No. If you want to earn your bachelor degree from this other school, the safest way to take advantage of the liberal acceptance policy of any of the big 3 is to transfer an entire 2 yr degree. Even then, unless there is a transfer agreement in place (typical between state schools (e.g. TESC to Rutgers), there is no guarantee that all credits awarded for an Excelsior degree will transfer.
Whats UIC? Do you mean here?

OTS - Home Page
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thank you guys so much for breaking it down for me..i can really grasp the concept of clep test and its relation to credits and colleges now...and to rebel100, yes that was exacly what i was talking about...But ive been researching and reading non stop about this phenomenon you call "clep test" lol and i mainly wanted to transfer out there because of the name or brand of the college...i was under the impression it would really help out....after all my sleepless nights reseraching i can honestly say- screw that!...i want to get my degree 100% through testing.....id rather get my degree faster and cheaper....holy crude...this changes my whole life completely here....this is awsome..so i was researching the big three and now i understand this whole thing here...but im still totally lost on were to start.. i want to get my Bachelors in Information Technology, but were can i get the info on which clep test to take, so they can count towards my degree...i was checking the big three's websites but there is no info or chart on this...is this something only the school can tell you?( i was hoping if some one with experience with getting a IT degree could guide me here )..i havent contacted any one of the big three with this question is because i know you can get your degree 100% through clep test and im pretty sure yoru IT degree, all through testing but i also know education is a business and im afraid they would want to tell me "no u have to take this class and that."...Basically im just looking for somone unbiased to kinda guide on which clep test to take for your it degree. im not thinking on which of the big three would be cheaper because from my research getting a degree through clep testing would be around 3000-5000 right?..thank you guys so much...hoping to get a reply...cheers
wait.....i found what i was looking for............kinda...i found your wiki and the degree plans...this stuff is worth gold..holy crude....im literally so excited i cant process the information.....it seems everybody leans towards TESC, why is this?.....is there a degree plan for 100% test ( clep, dsst, any type of test ) for Bachelors in Information Technology, or any type of degree that has to do with computers ( Computer Information Systems , ect ), from ANY of the big three colleges?....please....if anybody can help....thank you....
infomatrix Wrote:wait.....i found what i was looking for............kinda...i found your wiki and the degree plans...this stuff is worth gold..holy crude....im literally so excited i cant process the information.....it seems everybody leans towards TESC, why is this?.....is there a degree plan for 100% test ( clep, dsst, any type of test ) for Bachelors in Information Technology, or any type of degree that has to do with computers ( Computer Information Systems , ect ), from ANY of the big three colleges?....please....if anybody can help....thank you....

Be mindful that those degree plans for TESC on the wiki are outdated as TESC has re-done their liberal arts requirement, also there is a thread out there stating that TESC will no longer transcribe CC credit as upper level. I chose TESC for other reasons, but looking at the three schools, COSC looks like a good one. They are also graded favorably by US News for online programs, if that is important to you.

Also, keep in mind your final goal, your age and experience level. Althought the cost savings are significant at the Big 3, I always advise younger people (if you are in fact younger) to go a more traditional route, while also maximizing CLEP. There are traditional schools that have generous CLEP policies. You get what you pay for and you have to carefully balance your overall life/career goals before you jump into TESC.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
infomatrix Wrote:wait.....i found what i was looking for............kinda...i found your wiki and the degree plans...this stuff is worth gold..holy crude....im literally so excited i cant process the information.....it seems everybody leans towards TESC, why is this?.....is there a degree plan for 100% test ( clep, dsst, any type of test ) for Bachelors in Information Technology, or any type of degree that has to do with computers ( Computer Information Systems , ect ), from ANY of the big three colleges?....please....if anybody can help....thank you....

Yep. Been there. You'll be fine. Everything you need is here, just keep reading and learning. Investing a few weeks processing all this information will cut about 3 years off your degree plan. And welcome! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,858 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,106 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,265 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,837 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,821 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,160 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,909 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,604 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,373 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM