Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring MBA credits?
Hi,

I have a question for those of you more knowledgeable about MBA programs.   

I'm currently doing my online MBA at Pitt State (https://www.pittstate.edu/) and I should end this year with 21 credits out of the 30 required to graduate from the program. Now, in January, my tuition reimbursement replenishes and I should have 10K available.

Is there a way to transfer my 21 credits to a more reputable/marketable online MBA program using my budget of 10k for the remaining credits? 

I've been looking around but is like finding a needle in a haystack, mainly because there are way too many credits to transfer. However, some of you have better information about the different programs and options out there.

Thank you for your feedback
(07-31-2020, 12:51 PM)Dee12 Wrote: Hi,

I'm currently doing my online MBA at Pitt State (https://www.pittstate.edu/) and I should end this year with 21 credits out of the 30 required to graduate from the program. Now, in January, my tuition reimbursement replenishes and I should have 10K available.

Is there a way to transfer my 21 credits to a more reputable/marketable online MBA program using my budget of 10k for the remaining credits? 

I've been looking around but is like finding a needle in a haystack, mainly because there are way too many credits to transfer. However, some of you have better information about the different programs and options out there.

I can't imagine finding a MBA program which will allow for 21 transfer credits. Some don't allow any transfer credits. Most are limited to 6, occasionally 9, and rarely 12. You have 9 credits left which means 3 classes. Why not just stay and finish? You're so close! You won't be this close anywhere else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • harrypotter
(07-31-2020, 01:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I can't imagine finding a MBA program which will allow for 21 transfer credits. Some don't allow any transfer credits. Most are limited to 6, occasionally 9, and rarely 12. You have 9 credits left which means 3 classes. Why not just stay and finish? You're so close! You won't be this close anywhere else.

I agree with this. You're unlikely to find a university that will accept all your grad credits towards another MBA. At best, they will accept half or less, so you would have to retake a lot of courses to complete the degree. You definitely won't save any money with this approach unless you go to a much lower cost school, which is probably going to be less prestigious then Pitt State. TBH, you're better off staying where you are and graduating.

If you are really focused on attending a more highly ranked MBA program, you need to accept that you'll be spending more money, more time, and likely repeating a lot of coursework.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(07-31-2020, 01:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 12:51 PM)Dee12 Wrote: Hi,

I can't imagine finding a MBA program which will allow for 21 transfer credits. Some don't allow any transfer credits. Most are limited to 6, occasionally 9, and rarely 12. You have 9 credits left which means 3 classes. Why not just stay and finish? You're so close! You won't be this close anywhere else.
I agree with him, some school will allow you to transfer max 12 credits only.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

Thank you ss20ts, Merlin, and Imbanewbie for the feedback. I should clarify that finishing the degree at Pitt State is the plan, I was just exploring alternatives to see if I could do something different.

It seems like the consensus is that I should not change and stick to my current mba program.

Thanks,
[-] The following 2 users Like Dee12's post:
  • cc078, Merlin
(08-01-2020, 05:00 AM)Dee12 Wrote: Thank you ss20ts, Merlin, and Imbanewbie for the feedback. I should clarify that finishing the degree at Pitt State is the plan, I was just exploring alternatives to see if I could do something different.

It seems like the consensus is that I should not change and stick to my current mba program.

Thanks,
Happy you make a decision. If you want to have more opportunities on open more doors for a good career. Do your University offer specialized like finance or  project management or marketing or other? Also I am impressed you graduate bachelor 2019, you already got 21 graduate credit . How did you do it?
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(08-01-2020, 07:26 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 05:00 AM)Dee12 Wrote: Thank you ss20ts, Merlin, and Imbanewbie for the feedback. I should clarify that finishing the degree at Pitt State is the plan, I was just exploring alternatives to see if I could do something different.

Thanks,
Happy you make a decision. If you want to have more opportunities on open more doors for a good career. Do your University offer specialized like finance or  project management or marketing or other? Also I am impressed you graduate bachelor 2019, you already got 21 graduate credit . How did you do it?

Thanks! I graduated in 2019 and started an MBA in November of the same year. My courses are only 7 weeks long, and you can take 2 courses at the time, so if you do the accelerated path you can complete 6 credits every 7 weeks and graduate in a year.  That was my plan, but between work, school, and family it was too much. Now I'm targeting next summer.
I have been doing research on this too. My school dropped the concentration I wanted. I can still do the self-designed version, but not sure what would appear on the transcript i.e. "Self Designed" versus "Social Entrepreneurship". Walden will allow 15 credits to be transferred in. Purdue Global will allow 50%. Heriot-Watt will allow 50% to transfer in. Honestly though, you are really close to being done and you are in a top accredited program that is not expensive, so I do not think you should switch. I would have given and arm and a leg before to get into an AACSB accredited MBA program online for social entrepreneurship at a decent price, but I never found one.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Honestly, if it were me, I'd just finish at Pitt State.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
It sounds to me that finishing in Pitt State is he most effective option for you right now.
Better to have this MBA in the pocket and later look for something else than start to move around so near the end without aim. Later on you can do a DBA from another university if you want, but if I was in your place I will finish this one now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,168 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,587 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Strategies to aquire 18 credits and teach jb111 5 389 02-05-2024, 02:00 AM
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 647 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  SUNY Buffalo State : 15 credits transfer Msc Multidisciplinary Studies durain 6 1,077 11-17-2023, 05:23 PM
  Graduate transfer credits Aya 17 1,341 08-17-2023, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Aya
  MBA without a degree? Possible to transfer credits from Masters towards Bachelors? FM1 13 1,840 05-09-2023, 05:56 PM
  UPTB MBA Doesn't Accept Graduate Credits mohelena02 5 837 11-26-2022, 10:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Transfer 10 Year old Credits? johnca 8 930 08-10-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore